The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Late model T5 problems still exist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boilerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 12 at 23:32
Originally posted by Alonline Alonline wrote:

It's like certain brands of boilers, speaking to reps and I quote a rep,"It's great you fix them and we make more money on the spares than the boiler we sell."

What I said,"Yeah if you buy cheap crap you expect to pay but, when you pay for supposed higher quality and better reliability you should be getting shagged the same way for crap products!"

Hence the Hynudai's are looking better value, longer warranty and cheaper, that way the money saved will pay for the lost time leaving it into the dealer, it could be in any more than the transporter espically the T5.1.

Mentioning the new problems don't forget the EGR, DPF, DPF switch fault, T5 faulty wiring on central locking below the seat, dodgy paint on the side door T5 and T5.1.

I wonder the marketing jingle ,"Lets go to work!" refers to the owner of the van going to work or VW and the dealers going to work on the customer finances to keep the VW vehicles on the road?????Ermm

Fair points mate, as far a boilers go i always fit Viessman, untill their customer service dept let me down badly, so now I'll go back to Worcester. It dont matter in the end as its pot luck what you're sold. Good and bad in everything. VW are still the best, I reckon.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 12 at 09:26
Dealt with their customer service lately?

They don't respond to letters about shirking their corrison warranty.

What I call ostrich customer service,"Stick you head in the sand and hope the customer fucks off?"
boilerman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boilerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 12 at 20:10

What I call ostrich customer service,"Stick you head in the sand and hope the customer fucks off?"

I,ve heard that!

Not come across it meself.
wully View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 12 at 21:03
Originally posted by Ex-car bloke Ex-car bloke wrote:

I've read many of your postings over the years and I really feel bad for you as the only conclusion one can come to is that you bought a lemon.  You were one of the unfortunate guinea pigs and let's be honest, you got way more than your fair share of teething problems and proper, off-the-road failures.

And me!

My 175, 04 plate T5 was a pile of shyte....  My 60 plate Opel Vivaro cost less than half the Vee Dub and hasn't missed a beat.

It isn't quite half as nice to drive though..
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 12 at 23:03
Originally posted by wully wully wrote:

My 175, 04 plate T5 was a pile of shyte....  My 60 plate Opel Vivaro cost less than half the Vee Dub and hasn't missed a beat.

And therein lies the rub.  When they are good, T5s are very, very good, but when they are bad they are terrible !

Many people have a great run from their T5 and have little or no problems, but others can be frustratingly unreliable.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 12 at 09:47
Originally posted by wully wully wrote:

Originally posted by Ex-car bloke Ex-car bloke wrote:

I've read many of your postings over the years and I really feel bad for you as the only conclusion one can come to is that you bought a lemon.  You were one of the unfortunate guinea pigs and let's be honest, you got way more than your fair share of teething problems and proper, off-the-road failures.

And me!

We can all live with problems, I have had my fair share with my fleet.

Its VW attuide we are a cash cow to sort all there desgin fuckups and Agnews lets wreck your wagon and you can pay us for doing that to it.

At least Toyata sort there problems, VW only give you the finger.
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 12 at 09:50
Originally posted by boilerman boilerman wrote:

I,ve heard that!

Not come across it meself.

Try getting the side door handle corrison problem fixed under warranty!

One finger and fuck off is what I got.

SO much for dealer servicing to maintain your useless corrison warranty! Would have been better with a Vito!

Next purchase I800's half the price, five years warranty.

Reports are customer service acutally care about there customers!
bananaman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 12 at 20:56

Maybe ive been lucky then as ive had two lots of body corrosion sorted by vw. It was my local dealer that played hard ball more than vw themselves. VW were very helpful and the quality of the workmanship on my van was top notch. As with regards to vehicle reliability mine hasnt missed a beat, only trouble ive had with it are down to wear and tear.

T5 T32 SWB Kombi 130ps
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 12 at 23:23
Originally posted by colin hodge colin hodge wrote:

Maybe ive been lucky then as ive had two lots of body corrosion sorted by vw. It was my local dealer that played hard ball more than vw themselves. VW were very helpful and the quality of the workmanship on my van was top notch. As with regards to vehicle reliability mine hasnt missed a beat, only trouble ive had with it are down to wear and tear.

often the dealer has no real intrest in a customers vaehicle, if they didn't sell it, service it, and are unlikely to sell another to the owner...or just can't be arsed with sorting a body claim that will result in next to nowt as it would be subbed out to a bodyshop why would they bend over backwards to help? Would you? That's where vw uk come in handy, I know it shouldn't be that way but it is...and also whilst wanking on at some poor cunit at the dealers bear in mind that he or she didn't design your van, recommend you buy it , or have any intrest in seeing it sorted for you for nowt, be nice, I hate moaning customers and feel like telling them transits are better vans etc....but I don't as I'm actually quite professional and do actually have some loyalty to vw brand even nowadays.

The dealer doesn't call the shots on body claims....or pay for them...or design the van...or set the prices of parts.....stop being cunty about the dealer in general...it just down to your dealer on that day and who you dealt with or their policy on such things....not all dealers are the same, we (and I don't normally defend the dealers infact) are not always cunts...the importer (vw Milton Keynes) is where you need to go and moan...ok?

Edited by max and caddy - 17 Oct 12 at 23:32
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 12 at 23:34
Originally posted by max and caddy max and caddy wrote:

Originally posted by colin hodge colin hodge wrote:

often the dealer has no real intrest in a customers vaehicle, if they didn't sell it, service it, and are unlikely to sell another to the owner...or just can't be arsed with sorting a body claim that will result in next to nowt as it would be subbed out to a bodyshop why would they bend over backwards to help? Would you? That's where vw uk come in handy, I know it shouldn't be that way but it is...and also whilst wanking on at some poor unit at the dealers bear in mind that he or she didn't design your van, recommend you buy it , or have any intrest in seeing it sorted for you for nowt, be nice, I hate moaning customers and feel like telling them transits are better vans etc....but I don't as I'm actually quite professional and do actually have some loyalty to vw brand even nowadays.

The orginial vendor Bodgers R Us Agnews I would not take a one wheeled barrow to them now, it's much too complicated for there people to know what to do with or mend.

Donnelly's supported my claim but it was VW who gave the finger so it's back to see the nice man in the small claims court again.

VW want me to stump up for an independent paint guy and pay £200 to maybe get it back!

The court fee is £80.00 and they have to get their finger out of their arse to defend it!

I will get it sorted in the same body shop that has done the other warranty paint work for their previous sub standard paint work, pay for it and the off to the SMC to get my money back and get the order for them to stand over the paint job.

Fuck the Crout!

If they offered customer service you wouldn't have to issue summons.

PS PTS don't pay there debts either for the heating repairs, there getting one to for their unpaid debts.

VW attuide is commerical vehicle owners are third class drivers behind Audi, VW cars!
max and caddy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max and caddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 12 at 23:42
Fuck the crout? The germans? What the bollox has that to do with it?
Alonline View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
VW Customer Service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 16 at 13:28
Update on T5 5 pot reliability and T5.1.

In ten years and 120,000 miles the following has been done.

3rd clutch, 1st 40k dmf, second at 60k pressure plate bolt left in bell housing by Iassc Agnews.

Drop links twice, drivers side d/shaft once, two d/side cv.

Heater motor, turbo hose, fan resistor, top strut bearings, rear springs, discs all round, water pump paid for by me, power assist pump, ac hose wrecked by Iassc Agnews doing power assist pump.
Front suspension bushes, front brake flexibles replaced rear corroded brake pipe were it comes out of under shielding.
Central locking wiring under drivers seat.
Stero died at 2 1/2 years.
And usual pads and filters etc.
One paint job on side door handle fault.
Turbo rebuild at 100k
Passenger regulator starting to show signs.
Lump tickover ok once you touch throttle. Cam shaft?
Brake and clutch fluid change every four years.

T5.1 side door fell of at two weeks.
Rear discs destroyed by binding calipar at 30k not covered by warranty at 15 months.
On third EGR at 5 years and two driver side d/shafts one passenger d/shaft
Paint job twice for door handle fault apart from repair when the door fell off.
Need previous paint repair redone blistering.
Cam belt done at 60k, some do go early so wasn't risking it.
New windscreen, cracked
Usual long life service supposedly 20k/2 years but light comes on at 10k?
Brake and clutch fluid change every four years.

That's the operating life of the T5's I have driven in my fleet. 5pot moving on soon, t5.1 moving to another employee.

T4 300k, service items and suspension bushes. Purchased at200k as dogs body wagon.

Iloads x2 service items, one has stero replaced, another radiator leak, replaced. Both 4 years I think?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 16 at 03:39
Wot, no oil coolers ?  

Mine (BPC 5 pot 2.5L engine dated 26 Oct 2006) got 2 (both the identical upgraded part ! )  The first one 'cos it leaked, the second time as the general T5 wide campaign because so many of the originals leaked.  I did point out the absurdity of replacing with exactly the same part, but had to allow them to do it if I wanted to keep my warranty.

I've had several things replaced under VW's warranty: a couple of locking actuators (rear & side door), some small control valve on the engine , and the major cost item was a new gearbox (2 months before the end of my extended warranty).  I paid for a new clutch while the gearbox was out (110,000Km).

I recently paid for the gaskets between the exhaust manifold and turbo to be replaced (I didn't like the exhaust fumes getting into the cabin). Van has currently done 167,000Km (just over 100,000 miles).

I'm thinking of replacing the following as (expensive) preventive maintenance at around 180,000Km as I travel a lot interstate and camp in my van with my dogs in rural areas, so a breakdown (dead van) is a real PITA.
waterpump
powersteering pump
air-con compressor
alternator
free-wheel drives for above
gates (flexible) couplings
some front suspension bushings (I'm told they are getting a bit worn, but the van still steers OK)

Any other suggestions of things that might leave me stranded in the boondocks?

My driveshaft splines are OK (yes, I'm still on the original driveshafts) and have just been re-greased.  
My DMF was inpected when the gearbox was out and was assessed as OK (and reverses up slopes without juddering).
Brakes are still original (pads & disks) and lots of life left (I'm very easy on brakes as I anticipate what's coming up next).
No signs of body rust anywhere (but we are a quite rust-free area, I've never had any problems with rust in any of my vehicles, and I've lived here for over 40 years).

My van has a pretty easy life, most of it cruising along freeways (motorways) in 6th gear at 100-110kmh (60-68mph), with less than 10% in city traffic.  Usual load would be 500 - 700 Kg.

I've looked at replacing this van, but the only suitable LWB alternatives were a T6 Transporter or a Merc Vito, and I decided there just wasn't enough improvement for the (very large) changeover cost (purely private use, so no tax deductions/allowances for me) so I'm intending (or is that hoping ? ) to run it for another 160,000 Km.

Edited by gregozedobe - 13 Jun 16 at 03:45
retrobuggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retrobuggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 19 at 13:25
My 2008 caravelle is upt 625k and it’s still going well admittedly it’s on it’s second engine which was changed at 450k, only issue recently the odometer stopped at 621k  
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 19 at 04:01
Originally posted by retrobuggy retrobuggy wrote:

My 2008 caravelle is upt 625k and it’s still going well admittedly it’s on it’s second engine which was changed at 450k, only issue recently the odometer stopped at 621k  

I wouldn't complain about 450k on one engine, that's pretty impressive.  Did you have to replace any ancillaries before you put another engine in ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567