The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Late model T5 problems still exist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurylie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 10 at 11:45
gear box's designed to travel only 180,000, mine died at 178,000, it has had new gearbox , new aircon ,new front bushes , new disc brakes front and rear, and now is getting new oil cooler , will cost aprox $20,000 in 5 months , so is nearly a new vehicle , I am selling it to get a van with seats in as we have 3 kids , so if any one is looking for a mechanically rebuilt 2004 t5 I have one for sale , have to get $22,000 for it . My gear box has been rebuilt and is better than an original one as can be rebuilt any time with  better berrings , and front axles have been serviced , vehicle will be ready next week, has done 189,000km , very economical  I have a 5 cylinder 2.5litre diesel turbo ,very powerful, with all the expensive work already done , perth wa, have advertised on carsales.com.au
kurylie
kurylie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurylie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 10 at 11:54
sorry more on the gearbox  auto t5  6 speed gearbox , when gearbox dies all parts are available except for the main berrings , these are not available , so gear box has to be machined to fit different berrings , then very easy to get parts and rebuild if needed again later, I think that the main berring is designed to die so that you have to repair , vw will tell you that you can't rebuild , but dont beleive them it can and is working just as good as new ,  but when machined and better berring is put in , will last a lot longer , rebuild of gearbox cost me $7800.00 , better than vw's quote to replace for 15,000 + labour to fit , they are rebuilding the t5 auto gearbox's at a rate of aprox 3 per week , but vw sais there is no prob with gearbox , denial , if any one has these probs in wa can let you know who to see to get work done Smile
kurylie
sparx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 10 at 17:14
Read this long and interesting thread.
I bought my 1.9 swb  53 plate as a long term last works vehicle before retirement.
I'm an electrician now aged 63 so not quite a boy racer.
It has now somehow made it to 74,000 miles having spent half its miserable life off the road.
It is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned in my 50 years of driving!!!
My local agents JCB Ashford Kent are crap, gave up on them after several failed attempt to cure fault which my local garages sorted each time.
It has been back on the road for 2 weeks since the apparently well known turbo pipe clip problem,
it's now back in garage with stripped drive shaft splines, which have also started to wear gearbox end splines also which if too bad will mean new box!
Every thing about the van is poor quality, door pulls come off, window winders fly off, mirrors ditto.
slider door needs constant attention.
Had new steering rack, both rear springs broke last year, van never been fully loaded.
The list goes on & on (like me  I realise).
So my first & last VW will be traded for anything else as soon as it's driveable before the next bit breaks
gason View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 10 at 21:48
i know a sparks who got a 3 year old t5 that was low milage and in mint condition it turned out to be a total nightmare I think he ended up spending over 6k to sort out all the issues eventually selling it  to a mate after it nearly caught fire going down the A2, well he made the decision to buy a new vito van and he reckons its the biggest heap of shit going as in his words its as if it was assembled by vauxhall ,last time I spoke to him he was going to buy a new t5
mycarkeys View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycarkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 10 at 17:42
F**k me what a depressing thread. have to say not been on for a while and have just bought a 2010 2.5 t30 174 on a 59 reg with 7k on the clock to replace my 2004 of the same which has been and still is peerless and i'm just upgrading as with 140000 on the clock I'm starting to worry it will let me down at some point although it is showing no sign thus far.

Having previously run a fleet of approx 30 vans of all types I would say that each time we swapped brand that approx 10 to 15 percent of them would be duffers (the friday afternooners they used to call them) this figure for the t5's was less, maybe 5 percent so I can sympathise with people who bought lemons and also subscribe that they will all by and large go on forums and whine about it (I would too) as opposed to people not bothering to trumpet how good theirs are.

For me all cars vans and bikes will have an amount of "rogue" vehicles in a run .... its unavoidable in pretty much all mass manufacturing especially motor vehicles although Toyota and Honda have higher than usual quality control not just on production but also in the parts so maybe thats where VW are falling down but not as far as my experience goes........ all good here 
2014 T30 T5 Transporter 2.0 140 Highline making work as a vehicle locksmith that bit more enjoyable

www.mycarkeys.co.uk
sevy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Special..............Needs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 10 at 11:24
I just ordered a T5 GP wich is all new from drivers seat onwards , new engine running gear the lot Its a T5.1 I have to say we ran T5 from new at work and they were crap we ended up swapping for merc's , the new ones seem to have everything sorted but then again it willl be going near the end of the warranty !! VW warranty is very comprehensive so buy new and then get rid !!  I have to say the latest price hike is a stinger and VAT goes up end of the year , be quick , I ordered end of Aug and the vans not here til Nov maybe Dec !!!  Thats how busy the factory is .
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 10 at 11:29
Originally posted by sevy sevy wrote:

I just ordered a T5 GP wich is all new from drivers seat onwards , new engine running gear the lot Its a T5.1 I have to say we ran T5 from new at work and they were crap we ended up swapping for merc's , the new ones seem to have everything sorted but then again it willl be going near the end of the warranty !! VW warranty is very comprehensive so buy new and then get rid !!  I have to say the latest price hike is a stinger and VAT goes up end of the year , be quick , I ordered end of Aug and the vans not here til Nov maybe Dec !!!  Thats how busy the factory is .

Not according to this guy they dont!

They havent been out long enough to convincingly say theyre sortedWink

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
sevy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 10 at 15:50
yeah saw that , i would agree with the early T5 it was a bodge job but according to my source close to VW this one's alot better , as saiid on here before its alot to do with the driving . Anway 3 year warranty , its simples with VW finance if it goes wrong I stop paying and back goes the van
rhysstix View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rhysstix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 10 at 08:30
I have owned my 2.5TDI T5 van from new since 06. The only problem was when the water pump went at 75000miles. Luckly I found this site and managed to get my local dealer in Cardiff to change it warranty even though it was 5 months past. I was told by the dealer that the newer T5's come fitted with the modded water pump. I love the Van to bits and after driving different vans in work I think the T5 is one of the best vans on the market. I have read people get problems with the 1.9TDI.

The new facelift van looks great. Wish I could afford one.  
mick g View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mick g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 10 at 12:55
I'm on my second T5 and they have both been fantastic, I usually keep them for 4-5 years but this one I might keep for longer....... 
Yomp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 10 at 23:02
Originally posted by mycarkeys mycarkeys wrote:

as opposed to people not bothering to trumpet how good theirs are.

I've owned my 07 sportline from new and its now 3 1/2 years young with 97,000miles on the clock.

Looking on here at the various, potentially expensive, problems with these vans I'm finding it difficult to put down in words how I feel about my van in case I tempt fate!Wink

1983 VW Golf GTI
1983 VW Golf GTI
1979 VW Golf GTI
1977 VW Golf GTI
2015 Golf Alltrack
2007 VW T5 Sportline

Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studioman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 10:14
Originally posted by Yomp Yomp wrote:

Originally posted by mycarkeys mycarkeys wrote:

as opposed to people not bothering to trumpet how good theirs are.

I've owned my 07 sportline from new and its now 3 1/2 years young with 97,000miles on the clock.

Looking on here at the various, potentially expensive, problems with these vans I'm finding it difficult to put down in words how I feel about my van in case I tempt fate!Wink

your's will probably be ok now you're out of the danger zone! no most owner driver ones from new seem to fair better than the 'several previous keeper worked hard for a living' ones....

our's had to tow quite abit and that's what really did for them in the end!

Smile
VW T5 104 x1, Navara x2, Jeep GC 3.0CRD x1, BMW M3, Qashqai x1, ancient Sprinter x1
sevy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 10 at 22:52
Meeting today at MK VW centre ref problems with T5 radio , the senior tech's got an ear bashing from workshop managers from all VW Commercial !! still no answers as to the shit in the driver mirror that houses the aerial and booster kit !!!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 10 at 23:11
Originally posted by sevy sevy wrote:

Meeting today at MK VW centre ref problems with T5 radio , the senior tech's got an ear bashing from workshop managers from all VW Commercial !! still no answers as to the shit in the driver mirror that houses the aerial and booster kit !!!

Not much point in giving the UK senior tech an ear bashing for a problem he has inherited because some German designer got it totally wrong at the outset!

He cant make a racehorse out of a donkey

I`m still puzzled as to why VW ever decieded to do this, they have over engineered a solution for a problem that didnt exist!

gason View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 10 at 21:18
well touch wood my van is 3.5 years old with 16500 miles on the clock with no major issues so far
gb1m View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gb1m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 10 at 21:13
Originally posted by rhysstix rhysstix wrote:

I have owned my 2.5TDI T5 van from new since 06. The only problem was when the water pump went at 75000miles. Luckly I found this site and managed to get my local dealer in Cardiff to change it warranty even though it was 5 months past. I was told by the dealer that the newer T5's come fitted with the modded water pump. I love the Van to bits and after driving different vans in work I think the T5 is one of the best vans on the market. I have read people get problems with the 1.9TDI.

The new facelift van looks great. Wish I could afford one.  

hhhhhmmmm , Mine is in at the dealers after I noticed the oil level was high, water pump apparently . Its out of warranty now by 5 months and the stealer told me that Vw  would not offer good will on this problem. The clonk has also come back as well but I suppose I'll have to live with that as there's probably no good will on that either .  VW = CRAP service.

oh and only done 24k 

Edited by gb1m - 16 Dec 10 at 21:21
T5 174 kombi lwb
Albal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 10 at 06:39
What year is yours? The water pump was a recall item. That is enough ammo to have it changed under warranty. Thumbs Up
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 10 at 08:00
Originally posted by Albal Albal wrote:

What year is yours? The water pump was a recall item. That is enough ammo to have it changed under warranty. Thumbs Up

Are you sure? I thought it was only the mechanically identical (but posher) 2.5 Touareg that was recalled and the van owners were forgotten about?

Albal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 10 at 11:34
When I bought my 06 174 at the start of this year I phoned the garage up and asked them if the water pump had been done on recall and they replied 'yes'. I may very well be wrong (wont be the first or last time!) but I am fairly sure that the water pump was a recall item...
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 10 at 15:27
I also thought the early T5 2.5s didn't get a "general" recall (unlike the Toerag owners).  Some T5 owners were able to bend their dealers arms far enough back to get a goodwill contribution from VW, but most were left to pay it all themselves.  Maybe there was a small  batch of waterpumps that were even worser than the regular (incontinent) ones ?  They must have been REALLY, REALLY bad if VW were prepared to do a recall (sorry, "campaign") on them.

I'd love to know the Campaign Id if anyone has heard of it (I may need to know it myself someday).

Edited by gregozedobe - 17 Dec 10 at 15:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>