The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Late model T5 problems still exist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 23:02
Ouch indeed!

Thanks for the advice though.  Forewarned is forearmed I guess.  The judder is intermittent at present.  Does it get more constant when it's starting to go? 

I can't believe that with my super-smooth driving - no clutchslipping, very careful takeoff in first and reverse and careful gearchanging in second, no holding the clutch in while at lights etc etc - the bloody DMF is still going to fail on me.

ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
solarboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 09 at 14:01
It isn't right really to have a part like that fail. I'm guessing they're making a lot of money out of this because I can't beleive this is an engineering impossibility. Other engine components undergo these stresses all the time. My other vehicle (Bristol VRT double decker) has a permanently semi-engaged clutch on the flywheel and she's got over 1 million km's on the clock Thumbs Up
Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studioman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 09 at 14:16
Originally posted by tdfiver tdfiver wrote:

I live up in the Scotish Highlands about 30 miles North of Inverness.

Vans I see around these parts are in the main Transporter T5's. I reckon around 80% are T5's with the rest usual Trannys Mercs etc. Most of the bigger busineses use a VW, of one sort or another.

So, they cannot be all that bad.

If these businesses are anything like mine the main reason for still using VW's isn't actually reliability anymore, but percieved image and.... [don't laugh] residuals! On this basis alone the Transporter is still the van to have but in our opinion only in the lower order i.e. 104/102 mid spec...
That's our experience anyway after 350k miles with several different levels of spec/engines etc

Smile
solarboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 09 at 14:34
Those two reasons you mention won't be reasons for much longer once the reputation of the T5 is lost. I'd say they are burning their brand if these issues really are as bad as they seem.
Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studioman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 09 at 15:00
Originally posted by solarboy solarboy wrote:

Those two reasons you mention won't be reasons for much longer once the reputation of the T5 is lost. I'd say they are burning their brand if these issues really are as bad as they seem.

I would agree with that, but it will take a long time; so strong is the VW brand and the image; all built I am afraid to say on previous models right back to the beetle and original campervan.

In recent years the T4 had the right blend of [VW-like] attributes and all the T4's we owned (all from new) were totally reliable and 'felt' like they'd last forever.

A turning point for me was when I grapsed the T5 door handles for the first time and realised they were plastic, unlike the T4's which were metal. Also the doors don't shut with the clasp-like action that the T4 did (when new). Whilst the T5 is a lovely seemless & smooth design it just doesn't offer the robustness of the ribbed T4 and just feels like it needs pampering more.

Mercedes went through a similar stage back in the '90's with the truely awful  E-Class (W210) and they seem to have overcome it finally....hopefully VW can do the same and more specifically the T6 can be an altogether different beast!

Smile
solarboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 09 at 12:58
To answer one of my most basic questions...
The T5 doesn't even show in this van reliability test. I'm sure the T4 was the winner in this class.

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/story/FN50-Ford-takes-van-reliability-double-for-second-year/48649
gason View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 09 at 21:21
i had a t4 for ten years and it was the muts until the metal handles broke and the door would lock automatically with the keys in the ignition and it got to the stage that it was so slow it had to go , i have since had a new 07 t5 trendline which is the muts i have had a few warranty issues but nothing to hectic 
Chauffeurdude View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chauffeurdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 09 at 19:08

Just to redress the balance somewhat my 230,000 mile Shuttle has just flown the M.O.T today with no advisoriesSmile 5 years old next weekSmile Yes they have their faults but I've owned worseLOL

Owns VW Transporter T5 Shuttle SE 130 TDi.
Reverend View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reverend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 09 at 23:36
Originally posted by Chauffeurdude Chauffeurdude wrote:

Just to redress the balance somewhat my 230,000 mile Shuttle has just flown the M.O.T today with no advisoriesSmile 5 years old next weekSmile Yes they have their faults but I've owned worseLOL

Wow! Pretty good stuff, well done. Mind you, with my luck some fecker would run into the back of me at the first lights on the way home..
mick g View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mick g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 09 at 08:53
I am on my second T5 174 and bugger all problems considering.. Its a terrific van reallySmile
PETE.T28 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PETE.T28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 09 at 22:23
just picking up on this thread, i have 2 1.9 t5's one 85 the other is a 104. both have dmf and they are both 53 platers! both have had new dmfs at around 70k. the 104 has bin converted to solid flywheel a year ago,  only prob i get sometimes is fuel cut if i stall (stops with a bang), only happened a few times though!

pete
roadmark69 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadmark69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 01:13
Who converted it to a solid one? and appx cost.Cheers
Mark Coates - Purveyor of mats for T3, T4 and T5 - E-mail - 07917542685
http://www.megavanmats.com/
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 10:33
Originally posted by roadmark69 roadmark69 wrote:

Who converted it to a solid one? and appx cost.Cheers

Solid flywheels can be found here
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
PETE.T28 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PETE.T28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 22:46
mark it was a local garage to me in bournemouth, approx £800 inc new clutch. can dig out the invoice if you want!

pete
solarboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 09 at 20:49
Well i just bought myself a 2003 T4 2.5 tdi with 60k on the clock. I just couldn't bring myself into that world of pain and just maybe someone from VW will see this and see 1 lost sale and actually fix this issue. Doubt it but ya never know.
T4 2.5TDI builder wagon remapped to 117BHP.
also
T4 1.9TDI AHU Kombi

Bristol VRT double decker conversion.Donkey cart.
Fifty pence View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fifty pence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 09 at 21:23
Originally posted by smidsy smidsy wrote:

i haven't met a traffic/vivaro owner yet who didn't wish they had spent a bit more and got a T5.

I couldn't wait to get rid of my 2004 174 after 3 years !.

I " gave it away " in a part ex deal for a Vivaro.

After 10 years of T4,s 3 years of the T5 ended my love of VW commercials.

Its true, there are good ones and bad ones.

In the 10 years of T4,s, ( 3 vans ), I never went back for a warranty repair once !!.
I lost count after 20 with the T5.

I'm sure someone will say, " why dont you f##k off Fifty  with your Vivaro ", but, fairs fair, it hasn't had a single trip back for warranty work in 2 and a half years. ( and yes, I am saving up for the " inevitable " clutch slave cylinder " replacement ! ).

I did want to " love " my T5, but it was just to mean to me !!!!.

Del.

2002 Discovery TD5
2007 Vivaro 2.0 CTDI
2004 T5 front bumper
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 09 at 22:18
Yo yo yo fiddy, yo da man!!!

Welcome back, old chap.

I've read many of your postings over the years and I really feel bad for you as the only conclusion one can come to is that you bought a lemon.  You were one of the unfortunate guinea pigs and let's be honest, you got way more than your fair share of teething problems and proper, off-the-road failures.

Pleased to hear the Viv is going well, you deserve some reliability after your T5 luck.

I'm not surprised that your feelings towards VW are so negative.  Maybe I've just been lucky so far.  Touch wood.  
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
Fifty pence View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fifty pence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 09 at 23:19

Hi ECB, how are you mate ?.

Glad to hear your van is behaving.

The chap who bought his 174 a few months before mine, is still very pleased with it. ( all the usuall suspects apart ).

My plumber mate has still got his 130 Tip at 80k with just a gearbox and water pump.

My " concrete mate " has got the first 130 through our local dealer, ( mid 2003 ), and he works it really hard. He,d recomend the T5 to anyone.

Ricks on his second T5, after good times with a 54 130.

Another plumber mate had a 55 130, with only a head gasket gone. ( first 6 months ).

His plumber mate had a 55 130 at 75k with no problems. ( clonk only ).

Just putting some balance in.

Del.

2002 Discovery TD5
2007 Vivaro 2.0 CTDI
2004 T5 front bumper
Studioman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Studioman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 09 at 11:57
Originally posted by Fifty pence Fifty pence wrote:

Originally posted by smidsy smidsy wrote:

i haven't met a traffic/vivaro owner yet who didn't wish they had spent a bit more and got a T5.

I couldn't wait to get rid of my 2004 174 after 3 years !.

I " gave it away " in a part ex deal for a Vivaro.

After 10 years of T4,s 3 years of the T5 ended my love of VW commercials.

Its true, there are good ones and bad ones.

In the 10 years of T4,s, ( 3 vans ), I never went back for a warranty repair once !!.
I lost count after 20 with the T5.

I'm sure someone will say, " why dont you f##k off Fifty  with your Vivaro ", but, fairs fair, it hasn't had a single trip back for warranty work in 2 and a half years. ( and yes, I am saving up for the " inevitable " clutch slave cylinder " replacement ! ).

I did want to " love " my T5, but it was just to mean to me !!!!.

Del.

Hi 50!

We're down to just the one T5 now and in our opinion it's the best one to have....a mid spec 104.
But [for us] the five cylinder engine was a nightmare and there's no way we'd have one for heavy business use again, over a four year period they gave four times as many problems as the four pot engine. Pampered ones may be fine but when driven by some of our lot(!) and belted across the country hauling 3 ton trailers the 174's just don't hold together when amazingly the smaller engine does!

What is good about all the T5's is the image and brand loyalty. Even 50 with all of his problems with VW still obviously wants to like the T5, it's just that like us he couldn't live with the unreliablity in 'the real world.' In many ways the T5 isn't a van anymore.....that's the problem

We've changed our way of working and reduced our mini van fleet and added some 4WD's which has been a massive success [for us], but whatever happens we will still always run a VW, albeit a lower spec four pot!

Smile
gason View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 09 at 18:02
hi fifty i can understand your thoughts on VW after all the shit you had ,talk about getting a jaffa, how the vivaro going anyway
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>