The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T4 Hot as Hell

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T4 Hot as Hell
    Posted: 08 Sep 09 at 15:07
Hi,
My T4 is hot as hell in more ways than one. We are very pleased with it but why is it so warm inside when travelling? Fans on flat out (the blown air seems cool) windows wide open but we still roast. We dont seem to be getting excess heat from the engine bay. Are they all like that? Does anyone have any ideas?
I'm thinking of adding some scoops on the front or vents on the roof or rear to get more draught through. Even considered a/c.

Otherwise it's a fantastic van we got it from Andy at Campervans4u (thanks Andy) I would recommend Andy to anyone who's interested. I hesitated about the van cos it's a 2.5 petrol, okay it's thirsty about 23mpg but it drives like a dream and up to now has not missed a beat. We've been to Somerset 3 times Cornwall last week and Scotland the week before so we are doing some miles and wouldn't be without it. I'd post a picture but couldn't work out how.

Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 09 at 15:27
Try closing the 2 Window vents on the Dash as they blow thro ambient or even warm air (if you've had the heater on recently) opening the centre 3 vents allows cooler air into the cabin.
Try a Sunroof to draw air thro the cab
I did, I've got 3 of em   
And it works
Pie n' Bacon Meister
Porsche & Classic Car Nut
RedDragon View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 09 at 16:41
Thanks DD. Didn't realise that the centre were fresh air only cos I've only had the van since May the heater's been permanently on cold. I take your point though that the air over the matrix may have some warming even on cold so I'll try middle vents only.
I've just checked and my van only has two middle vents, the left hand one is a blank.
Think I'll put some roof vents on this winter ready for next year's bbq summer esp now you said it works. Where did you get yours from? do you really need three? I was wondering about those twirling ones like you see on police dog vans or would the twirling keep us awake at night?

Bunkeroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunkeroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 09 at 17:07
Did you check the hot and cold knob. Turn the knob to cold open the bonnet and look under the expansion tank you will see a cable this goes into the cab and goes behind the hot and cold knob when you turn the knob all the way to cold check and see if the cable has moved all the way and do the same with the hot. Its mouted on a pipe leading to the heater matrix it coud be your cable or your hot and cold dial my dads one has gone the splines on the knob its self there is alot of presure on the knob becuse it has to lever a shut off valve for the hot and cold. Its worth a go
Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 09 at 18:26
What your man says above really too, Check the cable as it's a common problem on some models I believe Shocked
Sunroofs were fitted by Onexe products in Dawlish,
You'll find em ere:

http://www.vwt4styleline.co.uk

Tis Ideal when Touring in South of France
BUT a pain in the Arse to shut the Back one when it starts raining suddenly Shocked
LOL

Pie n' Bacon Meister
RedDragon View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 09 at 19:31
Thanks Buckeroo, I don't think it's that cos as I said the air from heater seems cool (perhaps seems is the operative word) If it's not raining tomorrow I'll give it a go (as you said it's worth a go).

Thanks DD, my T4's a pop top so could only get one s/roof in and then it'd b in the glass fibre Westfalia roof. Your van is the dogs b's. BTW how do I post a pic?
Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 09 at 20:08
Originally posted by RedDragon RedDragon wrote:

BTW how do I post a pic?

Use the Likes of Photobucket to upload & Host you piccies then copy the link to your post Thumbs Up

See ere Like Wink

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/posting-pics-the-alternative_topic20055.html
Pie n' Bacon Meister
RedDragon View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 09 at 11:36
Just checked the heater control as suggested by Buckeroo it's functioning perfectly. As you siad it's under the expansion tank and it travels all the way.

As I was ferriting I noticed a pipe that was not connected. On the air filter side there seems to be a tin box around the exhaust manifold which should connect to the flexible pipe. It seemed someone had pulled the pipe off. Is this pipe there to get warm air from around the exhaust to the heater? If so did someone ppull it off in an earlier attempt to cool the van down a little? Any ideas?
RedDragon View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 09 at 13:10
Forget that last nonsense about the flexible pipe, I just took off the air filter so now I know why the pipes there, nowt to do with heater. I can se why it's off though, it's a bit of a bugger to put back on.
I'm starting to think the hot van is nothing unusual for T4's at least it should be toasty in winter. Perhaps need to improve air flow for next summer as per my original post. Anyone any experience of adding sunroof, passive vents or Flettner type rotating vents to the Fibre glass pop top? Dont want noise especially at night, also dont want rain getting in when the top is popped. I assume they arent really designed to work at an angle.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts / feedback
RedDragon View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 09 at 13:16
DD thanks for info about pics, I might get around to posting my van sometime but after seeing yours I'm not so sure. Mine can't hold a candle to your Gulf, Tag, Totally T4, 3 sunroof, nice alloys and lots of other stuff I can't even see... van
Frankenstein View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 09 at 13:58
my t4 hot as hell as well seems common is yours insulated? mine is its a bit too hot even to sleep in
Dan Williams
Buzz-Worx Camper conversions, Merchandise printing, Decals, i.c.e and joinery
permanent work in progress www.buzz-worx.co.uk tel:01782 922656

email: info@buzz-worx.co.uk
Desp Dan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Simple Pieman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desp Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 09 at 15:36
Originally posted by RedDragon RedDragon wrote:

DD thanks for info about pics, I might get around to posting my van sometime but after seeing yours I'm not so sure. Mine can't hold a candle to your Gulf, Tag, Totally T4, 3 sunroof, nice alloys and lots of other stuff I can't even see... van

Just post a piccy of your Bus in the picture Section along with all the others.
It's a Forum not a "Show n Shine Competition"   
There's all sorts in there & everyone is welcome
Pie n' Bacon Meister
RedDragon View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedDragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 09 at 19:05
Yep it's insulated, the guy who sold it even advertised it as double glazed but I can't see it. I usually open the pop top zip window at night. The good news is the engine bay insulation is in good nick even the silver stuff behind the engine so there is not much radiated heat from the bulkhead.
crosseruk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crosseruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 09 at 16:55
if you have the westy based on the carravelle i.e. windows all round even behind the wardrobe they are double glazed units.
I have a 93 westy 2.4d and mine doesn't get that hot, drive with the front window down at times but never use the blowers, and don't find it that hot at night
Bought not Built
whisperingiant View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whisperingiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 09 at 22:18
I's liking this post for 2 reasons: (1) another chance to see the Gulf T4 - RedDragon, it's as nice in the metal as it looks in the pics - and (2) it's helping me to understand a bit of weirdness from my '98 2.5TDI bus.

I was on my way back from Dorset Steam Fair (great for camping out, classic vehicles, cider and bawdy singing) on a mild-to-warm kind of day. I noticed that the vents - specifically, the dash corner vents mentioned earlier - were blowing out warm-to-hot air despite the temp control being at full cold. I opened the dash centre fresh-air vents and this resulted in fresh cool air coming through but did nothing to calm the heat coming from the corners.

So I turned the direction control to 'demist', turned the heat control right 'round to flamin 'ot and blasted the windscreen for a few miles. Turning the controls back to where they had been - air direction on 'face' and temp on full cold - restored the expected flow of cool air, even when the fresh airs were shut off again. It hasn't since repeated this oddness!

All part of the fun...Big smile
'98 T4 California Coach,

"Silver Machine".

Zuco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 09 at 08:38
What about retrofitting an aircon system from a donor van? Must be do-able? I mean its not like a T3, air con systems must be reasonably common on a T4, there were at least a factory option in Europe.  (I know they were on fitted to late model T3's destined for the US but how often do you see that eh?  I mean I've seen more rocking horse doodooo).....
solarboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solarboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 09 at 19:28
I'm about to buy one with AC, I'll see what it looks like when I do.
T4 2.5TDI builder wagon remapped to 117BHP.
also
T4 1.9TDI AHU Kombi

Bristol VRT double decker conversion.Donkey cart.
jimbo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 09 at 23:13
Originally posted by Desp Dan Desp Dan wrote:

What your man says above really too, Check the cable as it's a common problem on some models I believe Shocked
Sunroofs were fitted by Onexe products in Dawlish,
You'll find em ere:

http://www.vwt4styleline.co.uk

Tis Ideal when Touring in South of France
BUT a pain in the Arse to shut the Back one when it starts raining suddenly Shocked
LOL

When there's always biscuits in the barrell, where's the fun in biscuits??
jimbo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 09 at 23:14
dammit - didnt get comment in!  dawlish just across the oggin, so maybe worth a visit.  How much was one sunroof if you dont mind me asking??
When there's always biscuits in the barrell, where's the fun in biscuits??
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 09 at 01:12
nice rims, nice paint, nice roofs...  fuck it, nice fucking bus
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>