Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Westy water tank level sensor repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
Baxters Chocolate Star Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 10 at 08:01
Hi Zeb

I still have some here in their bags so took the numbers from them, the photo RS shows on their site is of a SP even for a DP.
The offers still open if you want me to send the set I have.

Cheers
G

Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 10 at 11:29
OK then please do send me a set if you have them going spare. I checked their site and it is UK delivery only or I need to register and order from the French site, that will be a pain in the arse for me.

I appreciate this and would at least like to give you a couple of pints, so if you have a PayPal account PM me your e-mail address and I'll cover the cost of a couple of beers.

Thanks again

Zeb
1990 Westfalia California 1.6TD
Nugget View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 10 at 23:25
Any idea where Lagerheads depth gauge thread can be found? I've done loads of searches on Club 80-90 and clicked the link but can not find anything.
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 10 at 15:55
I don't think is is there anymore, look at the previous page on this thread as the text has been put here but without the pictures. I don't think you will need anything else.

Cheers

Zeb
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 10 at 22:05
Hi Nugget

I've got it saved as a word doc PM me your email add and i'll sending to you

O===vw===O View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O===vw===O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 10 at 23:15
life moves pretty fast,if you dont park the T4 and take a look around once in a while,you could miss it!

03 2.5tdi 88 with decat, egr blank, big injectors, stan intercooler, remap apparently 130bhp
grm2507 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grm2507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 10 at 23:39
I bought one of these a while back and never used it (managed to resell on ebay).  It doesn't look that straightforward to fit and certainly isn't a direct replacement for the original sensor.

I managed to get a direct replacement for the original item from BusDepot.com in the US.  A bit pricey but so simple to fit - and worked first time.  Trouble is that I may have got the last one available made by their supplier (I always believe what they tell me!!) - worth checking though.
1987 Vanagon GL DJ 2.1 - Dove Blue Metallic
1991 Westfalia Atlantic JX 1.6TD - Alpine White

1991 Westfalia Atlantic JX 1.6TD (Pop-top) - Alpine White
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 10 at 21:48
It really is a simple repair if you have a soldering iron and are able to buy the resistors and reed switches locally. It is much more satisfying to repair/restore the original Westy kit instead of spending loads of cash on aftermarket kit.
grm2507 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grm2507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 10 at 22:23
Yep - I can appreciate that.

My problem was that I had absolutely nothing to work with.  Whoever had the bus before me had taken everything out.

I know I could have got the tube, fixed it to something in the tank lid, got the resistors/reed switches and fixed them to something I could shove into the tube etc. etc...

Not sure I have that much time or inclination.  I'd rather be out using the damn thing!Wink

Mucho respecto for those that do build the things themselves though.
1987 Vanagon GL DJ 2.1 - Dove Blue Metallic
1991 Westfalia Atlantic JX 1.6TD - Alpine White

1991 Westfalia Atlantic JX 1.6TD (Pop-top) - Alpine White
Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 10 at 22:52
Ah I agree that's a little different than replacing the switches. Try Spannerboy on here for a used one then repair if you have to.

Is the pump still in the tank and connected with two spare spade connections for a sensor if you can find one?
dbeierl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbeierl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 10 at 04:45
Originally posted by sbbfuk sbbfuk wrote:

It appears to me that these sender units quite commonly fail for 2 main reasons:
a. the plastic rod leaks and takes on water which causes corrosion and deformation of
the copper strip.
b. the magnetic reed switches break (probably because the rods get bent or they are
made to bend due to water getting in and so causing the double sided copper clad
"rod" to bend)
NOTE- these rods are actually VERY fragile, so NEVER try to straighten a bent
one - this is what breaks the glass reed switches!

The leakage failure is mostly because this is a very high-impedance circuit (it's pulled up to +12v through a 1-megohm resistor.  Water soaks into the edges of the PCB and shorts the foils together.  The tipoff for water damage (generally fixable by running several changes of neutral grain spirits through) is that the LED reading may change after the switch has been on for a few minutes.

The breakage failure is purely because the blighters who did the soldering didn't leave any slack in the leads.  Resolder them with a bit of slack and it will stop being so infernally delicate.
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 10 at 13:48
Seeing that over 1,300 please have read this post I take it that a lot of you have an issue with your sensor??

Since posting this thread I've been thinking about making these, but wonder if there's a market for it??

If you think there is PM me and if I get enough I'll look into this again

Cheers

cooky73 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooky73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 10 at 20:56
I would but a T4 one if it was cheap - Gunzl wants €130!
2003 Westy California TDi
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 12 at 13:38
Now available if you're interested please PM or email wedgewerks@btinternet.com

Zeb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 12 at 21:21
Top quality replacement, I Just fitted one of these after repairing my own a couple of times from the earlier post.

I'm not usually in a hurry to chuck out any original parts but it seems to be far more robust than the original.

Great job Holydiver Thanks very much

Zeb

Edited by Zeb - 28 Jun 12 at 21:22
nkonid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nkonid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 19 at 09:33
Hello. Can somebody tell me the correct values of resistance for Full, 2/3, 1/3 and Empty ?
My van is a VW T4 California 1991. 
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 19 at 19:33
Not sure on a T4 but 560k 0.5W on the T3 (RS 163993P)

Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 19 at 19:34
Here's more info 
229-3692 1 Reed switch S.P (Top)
394-428 1 Reed switch D.P (bottom N/C)
163-993P 2 560K 0.5W Resistor
434-201 0.1 Vero board (370mm)

nkonid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nkonid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 19 at 20:41
Thank you, but I really meant "Resistance", not "Resistors".
What I need, is the reading (Ohms) of the multimeter at each of the 4 positions of the float.

I am thinking of simulating this with a series of resistors and bare cables using the conductivity of the water.
KrisG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrisG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 19 at 19:31
This is the schematic I use for my alternative :
All resistors are 1MOhm.

When the tank is empty, both switches are open, only 1 resistance is in place => 1MOhm

The bottom switch closes when the water comes up 'a little',about 10L in the tank. This puts the second resistance in parallel with the first, resulting in total of 500Ohms

The top switch closes when the tank is about halfway, resistance is 0 Ohms

This is what works for the Late T3 Westfalia.

Kris

Regards,
Kris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>