The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 California Extra Seats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robe6962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 California Extra Seats
    Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 11:21

Hi All, new member here.

Does anyone know if you can fit an extra row of seats (maybe from a caravelle) into the floor rails in a California to make it into a 6 (or even 7) seater.  I appreciate that the units cut down on the widh, but are there 3/4 width seats to do the job?
Thanks
BANANABUS View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 12:36
You mean like this ?

£300   Clap  from Vw   bargin i think
Committed To Famine Relief. Last Week I Sucked Off An Ethiopian

I'm Not Arguing,I'm Explaining Why I Am Right

robe6962 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robe6962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 12:54
Thanks, but I what I meant was if a similar thing could be done with a double seat from a caravelle to give me  6 seats rather than 5.
rob64981 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob64981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 13:56
Could you not get a seat the same as the back one?

There for it would fit in the rails..

Give you 6 seats..

Have seatbelts...

Cost might be a problem but look in Germany...?

Just an idea.

Rob
robe6962 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robe6962 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 15:02
Just found this from http://www.thevwcalifornia.com/vw-california-blog/ask-vw-california-experts/:

Question 4) To make the California more of a useable lifestyle vehicle it would be much more beneficial to have an extra removeable double seat, thus making it the ideal MPV school run vehicle during the week. For the vehicles with the floor fixings is there an option within VW current range of seats to fit an extra double seat ? I understand that VW Birmingham may have put a caravelle double seat in a California. Please could you advise if this can be done and if so any detail on which seats work ?

Answer - I’m puzzled to know what was fitted in Birmingham
Currently the Caravelle is always fitted with twin individual seats in the “middle row”.  There is also an option of twin individual seats in the “back row”, instead of the standard spec of a 3 seat bench in the “back row”.  There is no 2 seat bench available for the Caravelle middle or rear row

The Transporter shuttle and Transporter Kombi are both available with a two seat bench which is fitted on the right hand side of the “middle row” and an optional single seat on the left hand side of the “middle row”.

The Transporter seats are trimmed in different fabric, but more importantly the seat retaining system is also completely different.  In simple terms the Transporter passenger compartment seats are on hooks which attach to specific fixed points, Caravelle seats are on pegs which go into tracks and can be slid to any point within the tracks.

In a California an additional 2 seat rear bench would also fit in the middle row, but this would be very cumbersome as it would include the folding bed mechanism as well as the drawer under the seat.  Anticipating the next question, it’s not possible for us to build a California with an extra 2 seat rear bench!

VWstealer View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWstealer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 17:51
Added to which, how would people get in and out of the rear-most bench seat with another one in front of it ??
The Greatest Trick The Devil Ever Pulled Was Convincing The World He Did Not Exist...
BANANABUS View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 18:05
Originally posted by VWstealer VWstealer wrote:

Added to which, how would people get in and out of the rear-most bench seat with another one in front of it ??
slide it forward Confused

climb over it Ouch

Kev The Gas View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

BUS WANKER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev The Gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 22:02
Originally posted by VWstealer VWstealer wrote:

Have you been eating toooooooo many pies ?

{ only joking bloody good point though! }

Kev.
T5.1 T32 LWB Kombi 140 ps. Sold

T5.1 Caravelle Executive 2.0BiTDI
180PS DSG Sold

T5.1 Kombi LWB 180 BiTDI DSG   

T6 California Beach 150 DSG
max5765 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max5765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 09 at 00:08
There would be no seat belts, they are not fitted to the rear double seat on a California as they are in a Caravelle, so the California double seat couldn't be used. If you really do need to carry a couple more passengers get the single seat option for the rear of a california and fit a double passenger seat in the cab.
MAX c/o www.amf-bruns.de

Take note.....the Blue Moon's Rising.....
BANANABUS View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 09 at 00:57
Originally posted by max5765 max5765 wrote:

There would be no seat belts, they are not fitted to the rear double seat on a California as they are in a Caravelle, so the California double seat couldn't be used. If you really do need to carry a couple more passengers get the single seat option for the rear of a california and fit a double passenger seat in the cab.

Confused  looks like they are to me

Edited by BANANABUS - 14 Aug 09 at 01:01

pikey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 09 at 20:24
Tongue Hi,im new on this forum.Ive been in to VWs for 20 years,and have had a few golfs.The time has come ,now i have a small family to branch out.I have always loved the T5 Caravelle,and was just wondering if it is possible to fit a t5 California rear seat into a t5 Caravelle,and if so how much do they cost?and where can i get one because they dont seem to be available.There,hope i made sense,cheers Pikey.
trenchfoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trenchfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 09 at 11:58
Pikey,
Welcome there would be no sense in fitting a california back seat in a caravelle when they already come with a 3 wide seat that folds down into a (small) bed, if you have a sleep pack and a memory foam topper i've heard it's quiet comfortable! Smile
pikey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 09 at 14:40
Thanks for your reply trenchfoot,but i want to do a california replica conversion myself,and was wondering if the california seats fit the Caravelle?Thanks,Pikey.
trenchfoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trenchfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 09 at 14:51
That expalins it then, probably best not to start with a caravelle then!
pikey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 09 at 16:12
Trenchfoot,i think you may be missing the point ,to buy a   used  Caliifornia costs about £30,000,a Caravelle costs about £12,000.If i add units to a Caravelle,job done.
pikey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 09 at 19:45
Please could someone tell me if i can fit rear California seats into a Caravelle,cheers Pikey.
pikey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 09 at 14:43
Does anyone read this forum?
marksabs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 09 at 21:20
Never tried but I'd be surprised if VW would let you get away with doing that. They seem to have a tendency to make sure you can't get away with putting better stuff on more basic models
pikey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 09 at 08:49
Thanks Marksabs,im GREATFUL FOR YOUR REPLY.Ive looked at the california seat tracks,they only seem to have 2,and the caravelle has 4,but it looks like it the california seat could fit the Caravelle.I am just amazed nobody has thought of this.Surely someone somewhere must have tried this?
T5wob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5wob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 09 at 20:10
Kerb$ide Ku$tom
 Post Reply Post Reply