The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pop Top Roof - Which one??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 11:24
Sorry for the thread-romancy, but can any Vamoose roof bed owners post their experiences?

I'm close to forking out £4000 for a Reimo roof bed, but the same work (roof, bed, colour coded paint and VAT) comes in at a midge under £3000 for a Vamoose.  So we're talking a whopping great big £grand cheaper than Reimo.

Anyone who owns one got any comments on the quality and general goodness of the Vamoose?

Thanks all
Blakey

Edited by BlackBeltBlakey - 19 Jan 10 at 11:25
2007 130PS SWB Pearl Black Kombi. My Van Blog.
DanB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 11:57
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug
DanB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 12:00
We had a Vamoose Pop-top fitted last summer. It good british quality and the fitting service is superb! Whilst the van was up at Vamoose they insulated and carpeted the insides and all the workmanship is top class. I would highly recomend their roofs to anyone, especially as they are so slim when not popped.
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug
DanB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 12:14
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug
DanB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 12:17
Also at Vamoose they can fit roof bars to the pop-tops. These are awesome as it means you can put your canoes up on the roof and still pop the roof with the canoes on!!
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug
DanB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 12:23
I took the van up on a monday morning from bristol, was then given a lift to the train station. Then when the van was ready i was picked up from the train station. Top quality service! They fitted the pop-top roof, colour coded it, added roof bars, j-rail for awning, new flooring, swivel seats, table bases, lights and carpeted/insulated the interior. Everything is quality and has that proffesional finish you want for your bus.
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug
BlackBeltBlakey View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 12:24
Hey Dan,

Thanks for the response. Certainly seems like a good option, even if I have to go most of the length of the country to Sheffield as I'm in Sussex.

Can you still happily get under standard height restriction barriers with the roof added (and down, obviously!!!!)?

What about if you have roof rack fitted?  Does it then take you over that critical height?

Could you post a picture of the internal look of the roof bed please?

Gorgeous looking van there mate!
Blakey
DanB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 12:25

I am one very happy customer! Its well worth the journey North!

T5bus 62Splitty&Bug
jmarsh1976 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmarsh1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 12:40
i have really had a vamoose roof fitted am really please with it
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmarsh1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 12:43
i'll try and type in English this time, i have recently had a vamoose roof fitted and am really pleased with it, the people there were very helpful. one really good thing is that the bed is a set of boards meaning you can have good storage space and you can trim the boards to match the headlining if you wish.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 12:46
Any internal pics anyone?   Specifically, how much space do you get to sleep in?  It seems the rear end is not raised, unlike the Reimo roof so your feet would be squished in the end?

I understand you can cover the space down into the van to extend the sleeping area, but my wife never sleeps through the night and will have to get up for a pee, so this isn't a good option for us really.

Research, research, research!

Blakey

Edited by BlackBeltBlakey - 19 Jan 10 at 12:50
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmarsh1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 13:05
hope this helps a bit

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 13:14
Blimey!  Doesn't look like a neat job.  ;-)

As far as I can see that's the roof with no bed?  But it does seem that there is a reasonable amount of space at the foot of the bed from that picture.   Thanks.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmarsh1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 13:43
:)

the bed is made from a set of boards, similar to an old leisuredrive type roof. they trim them in carpet i think or you can trim them yourself. Because of the low profile when lowered, you cant get much foam above for a mattress though. i will have removable foam 'cushions' which i will take if someone is sleeping up there but mainly its for headroom/storage so they will probly stay a home a fair bit!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 13:47
Hmm, so Dan tells me that his kids sleep up there as there is not much space for 2 adults and you're saying there isn't space for a matress up there.  Sounds like actually the Vamoose roof bed is not so good as a bed....

Perhaps the Reimo is the one to do after all?

So much money to be spent to make a mistake...
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 14:16
Blakey,

I research things to death too - you can never do too much, I say!!

I'm 5'8" (1.73m) and the Reimo bed is just comfortably long enough for me.  I guess 5'10" would be cosy and 6' and over a bit too snug...

We tend to need nocturnal loo visits too so the idea of the closable hatch is a waste of time for us, as you'd wake the other person when you get out of bed.

By the laws of physics, assuming that the Reimo and Vamoose beds use the same size (ie length) of aperture in the roof, the Reimo must give you more effective bed length because of the cantilever hinges at the rear.  The Vamoose, it would appear, uses the closable hatch as a way of making up for the bed length that is lost through the hinge type.

The Reimo, for me, is classic in packaging design.  The mattress is built-in, fits the roof when closed with zero spare space and offers a really quite comfy sleeping surface, and takes up the absolute minimum of roof space.  There is no need to store the bed sections separately or store a sleeping surface separately.  The bed is always ready to go. 

The amount of spare space at the front of the bed, in which to climb down, is ample but could not really be reduced, for adults.  Putting the same length of mattress as a Reimo bed in the Vamoose would surely leave you with less entry/exit space.

I think if you're seriously wanting to use the bed for adults, the Reimo would seem to be the better option.  The Vamoose looks like very good value, but I would want to actually see one with a bed in it and climb up and lie in it before buying one.

If you're less than 5'8" though, it may be an option?          

Edited by Ex-car bloke - 19 Jan 10 at 14:19
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmarsh1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 14:39
blakey,

sorry for the confusion, the mattress issue is for when the roof is down, it has a very slim profile and its a height issue.

i'm 6'8" and 17stone so to be fair i won't be sleeping up there anyway regardless of the roof!

i agree with ECB the hatch is a pain in the night if there is 2 people up there but i get more flexibility for storage and headroom so it works for me.

I have had a T3 for a while now with a very similar roof and i guess its just what im used to.

good luck with your choice!

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 15:00
Thanks for the feedback guys - really appreciated.

I'm 5'9" and 12st and the wife is smaller.  So we're by no means giants.   But it appears the Reimo roof is going to be the one to choose.  And there is an installer only 1 hour's drive from me which is a lot simpler than Sheffield!

I do love the hatch idea, totally closing the roof off from down below and making a little den, but not if it's required in order to sleep.

Cheers
Blakey
blazin-saddles View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazin-saddles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 10 at 17:21
I chose the reimo for exactly the reason mentioned above even though it's a lot dearer. 

I'm 6'2 and I didn't like the idea of the hatch to sleep on top of as everytime I got up in the middle of the night for a pee I'd have to destroy the bed to get out, also if the Mrs went to bed earlier than me I couldn't get in.

Also, I have a LWB van and didn't like the way they used the same length roof for both vans as for me it spoiled the asthetics of the van.

I haven't used the Reimo bed in ours though, instead I'm going to make my own sectional version as it'll be chaeper than way and I can use a padded headling that way to make it look good inside the van with the bed down, it'll also allow me to store bags etc in the roof during the day.
spun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 10 at 23:07
I don't have one (yet), but these looks much more practical to me, and if you go DIY, cheaper! :-)

Decisions decisions! :-)
2002 LHD Tdi Syncro
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>