The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pop Top Roof - Which one??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5-KTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pop Top Roof - Which one??
    Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 16:41
After my first weekend in the van it is fairly apparent that the best thing for me to do is fit a lifting roof. We used a full width rock and roll for the weekend and it was great for sleeping, but just leaves too little space for everything else. I also carry my dirt bike in the van quite a bit so the bed will have to come out and I'll be down graded to sleeping on the floor on a roll matt!....Never gonna happen!
SO!
What's considered the best lifting/pop roof for a T5?
Don't care about costs, just want to know which works the best.........and which looks the best Embarrassed
chewbacca View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chewbacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 17:03
having one fitted next week by elite camper conversions, apparantly their own roof, but based on the reimo typeopening from front to back
they also do side opening ones.

like to hear if anyone else has had one of these, as bit nervous at the moment.
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 17:39
Reimo. without question.

Do a search and you'll find my recent glowing review of the roof bed and in the modifications section my explanation of how to modify it for heavy adult use (as in kg not sex!LOL).

I paid a typical price which was £3500 inc VAt for roof plus bed plus colour matched paint.

You won't regret it, it is a great investment.  Like you I use my van for other stuff (eg work and carrying people) so it will never be a full time camper conversion for me.  
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
RolandRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RolandRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 18:23
I would definitely recommend a vamoose roof http://www.vamoosecamperconversions.co.uk/

I had one fitted a few weeks ago and they are excellent...

reimo have recently changed their prices and are now in excess of £4000 for roof bed and colour coding fitted, i called 7 different places

My vamoose roof cost £2600 for the roof bed, colour coding and they fitted it in a day, i arrived at 8:30am, went for a bike ride and it was done by 4:30pm!  Can't beat that!

Also the roof bed is designed for two adults so you don't need to do any mods, me and my other half sleep up there with no noticeable sag in the bed boards!

I think the best thing about them though is that they are a foam sandwich construction unlike the Reimos so you don't have to worry about insulating the roof of your van!  Also you can fit roof racks to them...
T32 Window Van 2.5tdi 130ps
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 18:33
Has anyone any pictures of these roofs in operation - particulary the interior?

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 20:46
Originally posted by RolandRat RolandRat wrote:

I would definitely recommend a vamoose roof http://www.vamoosecamperconversions.co.uk/

I had one fitted a few weeks ago and they are excellent...

reimo have recently changed their prices and are now in excess of £4000 for roof bed and colour coding fitted, i called 7 different places

My vamoose roof cost £2600 for the roof bed, colour coding and they fitted it in a day, i arrived at 8:30am, went for a bike ride and it was done by 4:30pm!  Can't beat that!

Hey, they look good!  Had I heard of them I'd have considered them.  British too!  And Jerba needed my van for a whole week.  And I'd have saved over £1000......Hmmmmm.....

I'll be interested to hear how you get on long term.  I guess that's partly what you pay for with Reimo, decades of reliable track record.

Out of interest how wide is the bed?
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
RolandRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RolandRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 08:37
Yes i forgot to mention British made! 

The bed is 105cm wide and over 7ft long, it also has an integrated light in the poptop...

I'll put some pictures up when i get a chance to take some...
T32 Window Van 2.5tdi 130ps
borg View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Bruce Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 08:49
I have a Reimo on mine with a bed and it's great. There is full head height to stand up and it has a Window at the front which is great for letting in light but still keep the van private with the curtains on the side shut.

In hot weather there are two windows with fly curtains either side which keep the heat down by letting any breeze blow through the van.

I also have the bed up top as well and not had any issues with weight with adults up the top.

T5-KTM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5-KTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 09:18
Very snazzy wheels you have there!......the van ain't bad either! LOL

I had a radio flyer when I was a tyke, my parents brought it back from the states with me. After being at the Big Chill festival last weekend its now on my 'Want' list Smile

Edited by T5-KTM - 12 Aug 09 at 10:25
DanB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 14:52
Hi, I too have been looking for a pop-top for my t5. I've enquired at loads of places and they come in at around 4-4.5k for the Reimo depending on where you get it done. The high price is due to them being imported from germany and the pound being so weak at ther moment. I would recommend a Reimo as they are tried and tested. . . but then i saw a Vamoose roof and investigated. . .their roofs are rock solid, british made and even with canoes on the roof rack the roof can still be popped up! This sold it for me and i'm having one fitted in 3weeks ready for vanfest!
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug
T5-KTM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5-KTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 15:20
Vamoose do look to be very good value for money.....shame they aren't as pretty as the Reimo. Any other contenders? 
borg View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Bruce Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 15:26
 I had my Reimo Roof fitted by MAD Workshop in Bristol last summer for around £2,000 for the Roof, £300 for the bed, and £600 for the fitting.

The current exchange rate for Pounds to Euro's is presently exactly the same as this time last summer so it should not be anymore expensive.
T5-KTM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5-KTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 15:31
Originally posted by chewbacca chewbacca wrote:

having one fitted next week by elite camper conversions, apparantly their own roof, but based on the reimo typeopening from front to back

How much for the whole job if you don't mind me asking? They look nice.
T5-KTM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5-KTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 15:32
Originally posted by borg borg wrote:

I had my Reimo Roof fitted by MAD Workshop in Bristol last summer for around £2,000 for the Roof, £300 for the bed, and £600 for the fitting.

The current exchange rate for Pounds to Euro's is presently exactly the same as this time last summer so it should not be anymore expensive.

How long did it take them to fit it?
borg View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Bruce Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 15:42
I dropped the van off to them on the Monday and picked it up 3 days later. They did also fit a Reimo Multi Rail and a sliding window at the same time.

I also just looked on eBay and there are still companies offering Remio Roofs for the T5 for £3,000 including fitting.

Give them a call http://www.mad-workshop.com the guy who runs it Arthur is a really good and knows his stuff when it comes to Remio Roofs as they fit about 10 a month.
T5-KTM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5-KTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 15:57
Originally posted by T5-KTM T5-KTM wrote:

Originally posted by chewbacca chewbacca wrote:

How much for the whole job if you don't mind me asking? They look nice.

Ignore this, I just phoned them.

For anyone who's interested. Roof fitted with a bed system - £1950 +vat, if you want it colour coded an extra £185+vat
All in - £2135 or £2454 with the vat

Shame they are the other end of the country!

Reimo @ MAD seems the best option for me, many thanks for the replies.
T5-KTM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5-KTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 17:24

If only that were true......Just called MAD for prices - £4041 fitted and colour coded. 3-4 week wait for the roofs. If you want it colour coded he needs the van for a week with no courtesy vehicle provided!

Edited by T5-KTM - 12 Aug 09 at 17:33
borg View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Bruce Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 10:07
All I can say is that I am glad I got my Reimo roof when I did if that is the prices they are charging for them now.

Reimo is certainly very good quality and I am glad I got mine, but with prices at double what they were last summer it may not be worth the extra anymore.

I don't know how Reimo can justify a 100% increase in price even when the pound to euro exchange rate was at it's worst it was only 10% difference, so no way you can justify the 100% price increase.
borg View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Bruce Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 10:10
One more thing if you do go for the Reimo Roof make sure they put loads of bonding paste on the roof strengtheners as well as riveting it in place.

Without the extra bonding the roof squeaks really badly when driving which is quite common if they are not fitted with the extra bonding. MAD did a really good job on my roof and it makes no noise at all.

Edited by borg - 13 Aug 09 at 10:11
T5-KTM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5-KTM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 10:43

All I can say is that I am glad I got my Reimo roof when I did if that is the prices they are charging for them now.

Reimo is certainly very good quality and I am glad I got mine, but with prices at double what they were last summer it may not be worth the extra anymore.

I don't know how Reimo can justify a 100% increase in price even when the pound to euro exchange rate was at it's worst it was only 10% difference, so no way you can justify the 100% price increase.

Confused ..... more like a 40% increase. But you're right, the price hike does seem over the top.
All the fitters give you the same sob story that the exchange rates blah blah.... You try and tell them that they're almost the same as this time last year........havin' none of it!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>