The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pop Top Roof - Which one??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 10 at 17:01
That's curious Borg.  I did some research about this and as far as I'm able to determine, and backed up by the official Reimo suppliers CMC in Kent, the SWB doesn't have the wind deflector but the LWB does.  

I'm wondering if your fitter (who was MAD if I recall correctly?) added a LWB wind deflector as an extra touch?

Cheers
Blakey
2007 130PS SWB Pearl Black Kombi. My Van Blog.
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 10 at 20:14
I think you and Borg may be talking at crossed purposes - BBB I think you mean the "pod" moulding that's at the front of the LWB roof and Borg is referring to the low profile rubber deflector, which would make you both right! Big smile
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
BlackBeltBlakey View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 10 at 09:36
Yup, I was talking about the pod.   What is this rubber deflector of which you speak?  Do you have one on your roof ECB?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 10 at 09:52
Yes, I do, it's a rubber strip that "stands up" about 20mm.  Fairly crude (if very neat) bonded-on strip that is very effective it seems.  No wind noise whatsoever, nor water ingress in torrential rain. 
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 10 at 10:07
I wonder if it is standard fit with the SWB roof.  Hope so!    I'll let you all know in a couple of weeks when I get mine fitted.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 10 at 16:59
Yes, it is, mate - part of the installer's roof kit.  Sleepless nights ahead - exciting times!

I had a look at your blog, very good, nice resource for ideas and bedtime reading for vanoraks like me...LOL
DanB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 10 at 19:12
Haha, i lost sleep in anticipation of getting a pop-top! I think it was the anxiety of loosing thousands of hard earned pounds to pay someone else to cut hole in the roof of my much loved bus!
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug
boxelder View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boxelder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 10 at 22:50
We're having a vamoose fitted in a couple of weeks - they've got a one piece elevating deluxe bed option for + £100. If anybody would like pics, mail me andytrousers@hotmail.com
BANANABUS View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
More Like BanBus!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANANABUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 10 at 23:57
Originally posted by boxelder boxelder wrote:

We're having a vamoose fitted in a couple of weeks - they've got a one piece elevating deluxe bed option for + £100. If anybody would like pics, mail me andytrousers@hotmail.com

Ive seen these  but  was concerned that the bed area wouldnt be long enough due to the way the roof hinges, cause if you sleep on yer back  yer feet will  end up some way  distance from the back of the van . Confused

how longs the bed  measured from enough room for your feet( at the back of the van) - to the start of the escape hatch?

Edited by BANANABUS - 16 Mar 10 at 23:57
Committed To Famine Relief. Last Week I Sucked Off An Ethiopian

I'm Not Arguing,I'm Explaining Why I Am Right

DanB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 10 at 13:17
Hi mate, please mail me pic of the bed its daniel.button@kids.org.uk
T5bus 62Splitty&Bug
tt07 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 10 at 20:26
I have an SCA roof on a LWB fitted at Jerba, it's got the mechancial locking mechanism so no straps and a bed in the roof, it certainly gives plenty of headroom and is just under 2m high.
kendall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kendall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 10 at 10:27
has anyone had experience of the even cheaper roof from a guy that advertised on T5 fourm, cant rember his name, but it looks identical to the vamoose but is fitted for £1700
NZCol View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NZCol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 10 at 22:36
On the topic off roofs I've got a bit of a question those with pop-roofs may be able to answer.
Here in NZ we're somewhat limited on what VW vans we can get, a California for example is almost impossible as there are so few and a new one would mean it would be a choice between the house - and the van !
But i can get hold of ex-rental Kea campers - they convert them themselves based on the 2.5 LWB platform. However the upsatirs bed looks quite wee and this is primarily the reason for buying one. Ideally we would move the downstairs seat or removed completely for bike storage (I have alot of bikes and would use the van for training races - not keen on leaving them on a towbar rack for security reasons at 10k per bike !). The sort of van is the type listed here (sorry can't link photos directly) http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=284538988
The roof conversion looks like a few of the ones mentioned in this thread but I am worried we won;t get two adults in there. I mean, we'll definitley struggle to do the 'wheelbarrow' up there like but ....
tt07 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 10 at 06:58
Nzcol - we've comunicated via STW but the wife and I sleep in the roof and have done a fair few times now and it's very comfortable. I will try and take a picture at the weekend.

It will depend on your and the Mrs's build as the beds in the roof have a weight limit I think the SCA is around 150 - 160kg combined, we went on a little weight reduction as we were close combined at the beginning..........
steve_9753 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve_9753 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 10 at 16:10
has anyone got a pop top roof and a spoiler..i have a spoiler and want to get a pop top roof but concerened it might not look to great with the spoiler?
and can the spoiler be taken off without leaving marks/ damage?
2006 white swb T5 t30 130 remapped 203bhp surfing,skiing,shagging wagon
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 10 at 16:19
I have a Reimo SWB roof and a rear spoiler.  Pictures of the look it creates on this post:
Click on the picture towards the bottom of the spoiler for a bigger resolution.

I've never tried to take a spoiler off so not sure about that part of your question.

Cheers
Blakey

thejimreaper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thejimreaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 10 at 16:52
I have an SCA roof on mine.  Really happy with it.  Looks really tidy when closed and is so easy to use.  I actually slept in it for the first time last Saturday!

So many mods, so little cash!
The Jolly Camper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jolly Camper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 16 at 12:31
I happen to have heard of a relativly new company called RAP pop tops, their a reasonably priced high quality product who have a number of fitting agents around the uk. im certainly impressed from what ive seen so far. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234