The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fault code - 16706 Engine Speed Sensor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fault code - 16706 Engine Speed Sensor
    Posted: 06 Aug 09 at 17:15
Fault code - 16706 Engine Speed Sensor G28 no signal

I had my fault codes looked at to see if there was any that would explain my intermittent starting problems. This was the only fault that came up. It didnt say how many times it had happened, but did say it had occured aT30 rpm. Is this the likely cause of my starting problems? And where do i look to find this sensor?

Thanks
Alex
VW T5 2004 1.9TDI SURFBUS
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 09 at 20:55
It's the crankshaft sensor.  It's job is counting the flywheel teeth as they pass by, boring job eh?LOL   Seriously though, you will find it somewhere around the line where the engine is bolted to the gearbox.  As a general rule buy a genuine VW one unless it's a silly price. 

Don't forget that code could apply to wiring faults all the way to the ECU.  But in the real world you might as well change the sensor anyway for the £50 or whatever it costs to eliminate it. 

Edited by T5 TDI - 06 Aug 09 at 21:02
2004 2.5 174
smidsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smidsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 09 at 22:41
BTW
they're a pig to get out. probably rusted in on yours and fuggin difficult to get tools into the space to undo it.
have a lot of patience when you tackle that job.
janamarie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janamarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 11 at 06:08
Originally posted by CrazyCano CrazyCano wrote:

Fault code - 16706 Engine Speed Sensor G28 no signal

I had my fault codes looked at to see if there was any that would explain my intermittent starting problems. This was the only fault that came up. It didnt say how many times it had happened, but did say it had occured aT30 rpm. Is this the likely cause of my starting problems? And where do i look to find this sensor?

Thanks
Alex

Hi alex, any update regarding the fault code 16706? I am experiencing the same error code. What have you done to resolve this one?

Edited by janamarie - 29 Jan 11 at 03:46
CrazyCano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 11 at 06:30
Hi there, sorry I should have posted that I got it sorted... it turned out to be a dodgy wire in the wiring loom to that sensor, the mechanic from VW Heritage in Bristol figured it out and he just added a new length of wire to bypass the dodgy section.

Hope you get yours sorted too...

Alex
VW T5 2004 1.9TDI SURFBUS
dvdfrost View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvdfrost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 11 at 23:11
The same code came up on mine.I replaced the sensor ,with a VW one£88+ vat I think .
After I got the old one out I noticed  the multiplug 3 pin connector on front of gearbox /engine joint had a burnt pin.
Worth trying a bypass of this plug first as the access is tricky as mentioned.
The plug is just above the sump to block joint on the front behind Power steering pump .

To get to it pull bonnet lock carrier into service position,remove front engine stabiliser. remove AC pump if fitted,leave hoses on just swing to side,remove PS pump, leave hoses on swing to side.
undo 10mm bolt and pull out plastic sensor.lube new sensor 'O'ring push into place and rebuild.
T4 and T5 vans, they let you do what you want to do.... and be what you want to be!
'05 T5 130
'01 T4 88
'95 T4 888 spesh
 Post Reply Post Reply