The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT35 alternator - testing voltage regulator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 09 at 21:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUCENHqr7b4    Wink

In theory the glowplugs shouldn't come on once the engine is 'warm'.

Your engine is doing the reverse of what it "should" do - seriously, try giving it a proper bit of a booting for a couple of seconds once its on. See if that influences the voltage.

Are you sure your belt hasn't gone "Aaaargh fuck me I'm tight now" and totally disappeared?! lol - I still recon it *COULD* be the belt.

I'm honestly at a mystery. It almost sounds like there could be some sort of massive drain on the electrical system that increases with engine speed.  The big red wire from Alternator / Starter motor / Battery isn't loose/touching the body, is it?! LOL

edited to make this bit bigger.. ^^^ Tongue

Edited by icky - 28 Jul 10 at 22:28
Engine cranes = the ultimate tool to test the tensile strength of Everything you didn't disconnect!

- 2000 MK4 Golf GT TDi
- 1994 LT Panel Van
- 1997 LT Minibus
- 1984 Volvo/VanHool Alizee
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 09 at 23:41
i'm going to do a current drain check on the battery tomorrow and also give the dashboard and alternator electrics the once-over.  oh yeah - and i'll take a look at the belt and make sure it's not slipping. if none of that lot sorts it....

[well, let's cross that bridge when we come to it]
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 00:09
well, just to put a [temporary?] full stop to this thread:

* i disconnected all the leads from the alternator today and gave them a good clean
* checked the continuity of all leads from alternator to wherever they were going.  all OK no sign of any cracks or short circuits
* did a battery current drain check. disnae seem to be losing anything. strangley - even with the clock in the dash on [should really disconnect it to do a proper check, but i couldnae be bothered] there was absolutely no current drain on the battery at all. at least none that would register on my multimeter.

so i can only conclude that, if there is something wrong with my alternator, it's either that the new belt is slipping slightly as well [worn pulley?] or my voltage regulator is cutting off charging slightly too low. but i'm gonna talke icky's advice and stop fretting about it.  i've got a good hefty 110aH battery in there and the van usually starts within about half a second of turning the key. so, even if the battery's not getting all the juice it deserves from the alternator, it should still have plenty in reserve.

added to which, if the main battery does drop too low to start the van, in the middle of nowhere, i can always press my new cheapo leisure battery into emergency backup use.

drunkenmaster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drunkenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 09 at 20:21
Battery Fucked????
Been deep discharged so the plates have bent and are touching?
1991 LT35E 2.4TD (volvo transplant)
http://ltcamper.blogspot.com/
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 09:51
dinnae think so.  it's only about 8 months old and only been flattened once [down to about 5 or 6v], when i left the cabin light on over a weekend once.

since i did my various tweakeages and tightenages to the alternator, the battery's usually sitting at just over 12v in the morning now [about 12,05 as opposed to around 11,9 before] so i think it's holding onto whatever it's getting off the alternator but, for whatever reason, it's only being charged up to 12v, instead of around 12,5v.
mikebdomain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 13:26
My alternator died last week touring north devon... It was ok, as I only drove during the daylight hours and switched the solar panels over from the leisure battery to the drive battery every other day to keep it topped up and all was well. (just about)

After a messy experience sorting out my daughters alternator a couple of months ago... e.g. one from a scrapyard - knackered when fitted and two from a reconditioning supplier also knackared for different reasons - four weeks and a lot of swearing and another £65 for an auto electrician to sort out the problems.(on top of the cost of the alternator)  I decided I didn't want to experience this sort of thing again, especially as I'm off to cornwall at the end of the month, so needed to get it sorted ASAP...

I did a search on the Internet and found a local firm AJW Electrics (Winborne, Dorset)- all I can say is they are friggin fantastic!

I took the alternator to them; 24 hours later: I had it back looking as good as new - completly cleaned up even with a spray of paint and with;
- a new regulator,
- new brushes,
- new slip rings (whatever they are) and
-new bearings.

All for £45.00 including VAT

It's not very often these days that I can say that I got value for money let alone brilliant service - but these guys gave me just about the best customer service I have had in years...

If anybody needs their alternator servicing or reconditioning I would highly recommend them

their information can be found here;
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
harrydwyer1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harrydwyer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 09 at 09:59
I've a similar problem that i need some advice on. My charging system is a lot less standard so there in lies my problem. I think it should be fairly easy to put right but any advice would be more than welcome.

Mines a 1995 6cylinder diesel.
I've installed a new engine battery and a set of leisure batteries and put in a heavy duty diode charge splitter. It's a boat diode and was pretty expensive. I then looked at the wiring from the alternator. The cable was pretty knackered and i couldn't get to the wiring loom in between the alternator and the battery. I've therefore put in a replacement heavy gauge wire direct from the alternator into the charge splitter. This works but it feels as though the regulator isn't sensing the engine battery. Although the battery light works fine on the dash it won't fill up the battery. When i run a meter on the battery whilst starting. It drops from a low 12.9v to 11 then tops up for a few seconds then drops again. It feels as though the alternator is pumping out a standard initial charge then, because it can't sense the battery it shuts off. The original wiring looked as though the charge from the alternator first went onto the starter and then on from there. Could i connect this point up to my battery? Would that then connect to the regulator. Obviously the charge splitter prevents the regulator from getting a reading from the battery down the alternator charging wire.

The battery never quite runs flat, It gets a minimal charge but when you drive with the lights on it runs very low and only just turns over on the key.

madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 10 at 17:08
time to revisit this thread now that [theoretically] the spring is almost upon us and i'm gradually coming out of hibernation.

to bring things up to date:

sometime during the winter [and after i last posted]:

* i fitted a new voltage regulator on my alternator - made no difference
* swapped the alternator with another one from a breakers - no difference
* i've also previously replaced the drive-belt and made sure it was as tight as the proverbial duck's arse - no difference

so i got out my multi-meter and did some more testing today.  here's the score.  diagnoses on a postcard, please:

* warning light glows very dimly when engine is running
* measuring across battery with engine running i get ~12,3v
* measuring across battery with engine off, i get similarly ~12,2v
* measuring between the fat red lead coming out of the alternator and a good earth [with the engine off] i also get ~12,2v
* measuring between the fat red lead coming out of the alternator and a good earth [with the engine running] i get ~15v

so that looks good, insofar as the alternator is outputting 15v.  however it disnae seem to be reaching the battery. 

* i've tested continuity between the alternator and the battery and i get ~12v between the fat red lead and the battery earth [with the engine off].
* i get 0v between the alternator fat red lead and the battery positive [with the engine off], so it disnae look like there's a short.

can anyone make anything of that?  i'm OK usually with auto electrics, when it's just a passive component, but alternators are a different kettle of haddock.
chucklebus View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chucklebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 10 at 10:59
Check the battery terminals that are tight and making a positive fit
1994 T4 Multivan Allstar

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was. Now, what I'm with isn't it, and what's "it" seems weird and scary to me."
John View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 10 at 15:12
Check the Voltage between the Alternator housing and a Battery negative. It must be round zero. But I assume, that you will get around 3 Volts. So you must check negative viring.
"92 LT28 2,4eTD Hi Top Self made camper, VW T4 ServiceVan
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 10 at 20:11
meant to have another look at this today, but it was too bloody wet [again!]

anyway, one other thing that's puzzling me:

my alternator has the expected connections; one thin wire, leading [presumably] to the charge light on the dash and another heavy duty wire, leading [equally presumably] to the battery positive.  the reason i use the word 'preumably' is that both leads vanish into some hefty sleeving, which snakes its way down and round under the engine, so i cannae see exactly where they go. 

what i'm assuming is the same sleeving then emerges from the other side of the engine bay and feeds into the battery compartment. now, the weird thing is that where the heavy duty lead emerges from the sleeving, it is now two leads, crimped together into one clip at the end and then connected to the battery +ve terminal.

is that normal? - if so, where has this second lead come from? 

[sorry for the long-winded description.  should've really taken a photo and saved myself the typing!]
John View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 10 at 00:37
On my LT, there is a thick wire (red, cca. 6mm2) between alternator and the starter motor reley. Between starter and battery, there is a heavy duty wire (black cca. 40mm2).
From the battery and fuse / reley box, there is a double thick wire (red, 2xcca 6mm2).
I hope, this will help.
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 10 at 20:30
OK- it's thread archaeology time again!

fingers crossed i have finally sorted this problem.

last time i posted about my alternator, i was labouring under the misapprehension that it had started working again, since the dashboard light was no longer visibly glowing in the daytime.  a couple of days ago, however, i took herman out at night to pick up the missus and noticed that the charge light was in fact glowing dimly [only visible in the dark].

the following day, i went for a run in the van with my circuit tester attached and saw that i was getting  about 12,3V across the battery - better than a kick in the flaps, but about a volt less than i sould have been getting.  with sinking heart, i realised that my alternator was not working properly after all - it was just 'not working' slightly less badly than before.

anyway, today i determined to get to the bottom of the problem, or kill myself in the process:

* once again, i measured the voltage being output from the alternator; 14,8v - so definitely not the alternator then.

* then i measured the voltage across the battery, with the engine idling; 12,3V.  so somewhere 'twixt alternator and battery i was losing 2,5V

* i then began the fun job of tracing from the battery, back to the alternator, to find out whether there was a short in the circuit.  a job made all the more pleasurable by the fact that the lead is routed round the most inacessible and dirtiest parts of the engine.  given that herman's engine is a 17 year old diesel, which would make a seagull which spends it's time floating around the gulf of mexico, look pristine, this meant that i ended up looking like something out of the black&white minstrels, by the time i eventually found...

... a loose connection on the starting motor solenoid, which is where the fat +ve lead from the battery and the fat B+ lead from the alternator meet!

you could have knocked me down with a feather.  i've had a shedload of motors in my time, with a shedload of 'innovative' approaches to wiring, but this is the first time i've seen the output from the alternator channeled to the battery by way of the starter motor solenoid!

anyway, to cut a long story short, i undid the solenoid terminal, removed the battery +ve lead and alternator lead [both of which were covered in oil and muck], gave everything a good cleaning up with a mini file and some wire wool and put it all back together again.   then i started up the motor and stuck my circuit tester across the battery terminals again - and got nearly 14v!

yay!

to say i'm chuffed would be an understatement. 

that intermittent charging problem has been doing my head in since i got the van.  i've swapped alternators, replaced the alternator drive belt, tightened up the alternator, had the dashboard off more times than i care to remember, fiddled and twiddled with the battery terminals, tightened the engine earth strap - and all the time, the problem was a loose connection on the starter motor solenoid.  who would have thought it! [especially given that the starter motor has worked flawlessly all the time - you'd think it would at least have had the decency to be a bit temperamental, so i'd have cast the eye of suspicion upon it].

o well.  at least i've finally cracked it.  until i get off my fat arse and bring my herman blog up to date, here are some snaps for your delight and delectation:

up to my elbows in muck, trying to clean the terminal on the solenoid [actually this pic makes it look positively idyllic - i spent most of my lying under the van with my arms squeezed up through the oil-smeared gaps at the edges of engine bay]

the nice thing about electronic jobs - as opposed to mechanical - is that you dinnae have to get so covered in muck!

still, it was worth it in the end.  behold my mighty voltage and despair!

Edited by madra - 23 Jul 10 at 20:33
John View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 10 at 08:51
Great job, Madra.

But jou have wrong pollarity (-13,8V). Must change battery terminals... Or the engine is turning in the wrong dirrection...  Just joking.... 

madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 10 at 09:28
so, that's why i've got 5 reverse gears and only 1 forward!

[i bought a new set of leads for my circuit tester after i bust the probe off one of the old ones. for some reason the new ones have the terminals set the opposite way round - so i have to plug them in the wrong sockets. see - i'm not a complete eejit. only a partial one!]
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 10 at 10:19
Originally posted by John John wrote:

...On my LT, there is a thick wire (red, cca. 6mm2) between alternator and the starter motor reley...

i've just noticed this in the last post made in this thread, before i dug it up again. i wish i'd read that before i went 'cable tracing' yesterday.  it would have saved about half an hour out of my life!

well, no sooner do you solve one mystery than another one rears its head.  i just had a read back over this thread to see if there were any more loose ends that needed tying up and spotted this from icky, near the beginning:

Originally posted by icky icky wrote:

...Charge wise, I'm running 2 batteries so the charging 'force' is slightly less, but I get 13.8 - 14v in the main battery and about 13.2-3 in the leisure battery...

that's almost exactly what i'm getting now that i've finally sorted my alternator problems out.  so a question; i've fitted a split charge relay and was under the impression that it worked in the following way:

1: relay defaults to charging main battery.
2: after a while main battery burps loudly, says "thanks. i'm full now. i couldnae eat another volt"
3: relay clicks over and starts charging leisure battery
4: relay will allow main battery to take charge from leisure battery when needed, but willnae let leisure battery take anything from main battery.

if the above is correct, then why are both batteries charging at the same time? shouldn't it be one or the other?

i just want to make sure my split charge relay is doing what it's supposed to, so i dinnae end up draining both batteries while running stuff off the leisure one. 

mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 10 at 14:08
If it's a 'smart' spilt charge relay then it will only charge the leisure battery once the alternator voltage reached a certain level - with min within a minute or 2 or starting. Not necessarily the same as the main battery being fully charged (without wanting to go off about surface charge...)
A standard split charge relay will just switch over as soon as its coil sees 12V - i.e. as soon as the alternator starts giving any output.

To test it why not turn something on connected to the leisure battery, and then disconnect the leisure battery (with and without engine running). With the former it should stay on, the latter it should go out.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
madra View Drop Down
Limited Access
Limited Access

Lorem ipsum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 10 at 17:44
it's supposed to be a smart one.  so, it shouldnae be charging both batteries at once - either one or t'other.  is that right?
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 10 at 17:52
Not quite - once the voltage is over a certain level both batteries will be linked. But more current will flow through the one that has less charge, simply because that has the lower voltage.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 10 at 17:59

I'm definately no auto electrician Madra but as far as I understand it the alternator is always going to be putting a charge out to the van/main battery, and the smart split charger allows the charge rate to go to the leisure battery as well as long as the alternator is putting out at least approx 13.2 volts, normally anything above tickover (normal running) if it only charged the leisure battery when the split charger cut in you'd be knackered for driving at night with the headlights on it'd soon drain the van battery LOL 
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>