The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Bus Park
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New door cards - step 1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jokeruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New door cards - step 1
    Posted: 02 Aug 09 at 21:45
Well, i've had a sheet of 6mm MDF sitting in my father in laws garage for long enough!  Today I decided to get off my arse and get the door cards sorted that i've been planning for ages!

The idea being, that I can add speakers (that are anchored to a decent solid surface) and brighten up the interior with some bright covering - all without screwing up the original cards.

So, armed with the father in law and his tools I started.  First i took the cards off (obviously!) and traced around the first on the mdf - cut this with the jigsaw and cut the holes for the winder/handles etc.  The awkward part was getting the holes for the clips in the right place, otherwise its not going to go on!

Tried mating it up to the door, and of course needed to have several trips to the saw/sandpaper to get it to fit properly, but thankfully all the holes were basically in the right place!  Second card was much easier, as I used a router to 'trace' around the first card to produce the second.

Anyways, I finished it and they now look like this:

Now i'm just waiting for my friend to come back from France so she can cover them for me - thinking 
of a couple of options at the moment, but its looking like its going to be a nice bright blue!
paulyd2k View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulyd2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 09 at 15:23
nice job m8,
jokeruk View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jokeruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 09 at 15:33
Yep, just got to do a little 'thinning' of the cards around the door handle and at the base (where the vent screws on to the door, but i'll do that when they next come off for the re-covering (or when i put the extra speakers in.

Next thing to be done will be the tailgate (which i'm going to put speaker into also).
dubT3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubT3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 09 at 19:05
Can i ask what made you put the speakers in that position? As the door closes against the dash shielding the sound. 
The door cards look ok though.
Dub be good to me!
jokeruk View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jokeruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 09 at 19:16
Purely because that where the originals were, so to use the existing recesses in the door itself.  However, there will be 6.5inch components going in aswell (hopefully tonight) with the main driver at the bottom, and the tweeters next to the 4" speakers.  Not sure whether or not to actually connect the 4" speakers at all yet, got to decide before I get them covered.
dubT3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubT3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 09 at 19:26
It would give you good sound stage if they are all connected with the right frequencies going to each of them mate.
Dub be good to me!
jokeruk View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jokeruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 09 at 19:29
Thats what i was thinking, but i don't have the right crossovers to do that yet, so may leave them disconnected until i have got them (if i just leave the holes there, even if I get them after the cards are covered I can always reconnect/fit them in the future).
dubT3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubT3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 09 at 19:54
you can buy the capacitors for pennies from places like maplins that will filter what ever frequencies you dont want going through them.
Dub be good to me!
caron666 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'M NOT A BIRD, HONEST!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caron666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 09 at 20:01
Interested to see the other speakers in, I am doing the exact same next week!
jokeruk View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jokeruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 09 at 20:13
Well, the speakers i've got are slightly too deep, so am about to make some spacers for them :)  Thank goodness for spare MDF!
dubT3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubT3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 09 at 20:57
Make some door pods and angle them up towards your ears.
Dub be good to me!
jokeruk View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jokeruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 09 at 22:02
I've made some spacers for them, but only the tweeters will need to be angled towards me really.
jokeruk View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jokeruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 09 at 20:33
Did part of it last night, and part of it today - here's the results:

DKnight View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 11 at 19:13
word on the street is brickwerks are already soon to supply these...
DKnight View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 11 at 19:17
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 11 at 19:24
wonder if jokeruk has finished his yet........only been two years like!LOL
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
rubyvan78 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubyvan78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 11 at 20:37
thats a lot of speakers you are goning to get some sound from them!!
Stephen Grieve
artisanjewellery.net
rubyvan78@hotmail.com

Post Reply Post Reply