The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cab Vents Only Blow Out Hot Air

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moreupsthandowns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cab Vents Only Blow Out Hot Air
    Posted: 30 Jul 09 at 12:38
Hi All Ordered List

This is my first posting on here so Hi!

I have a 54 Plate T5 T30 1.9TDI PD SWB, which I purchased a month ago. I am really happy with it and am enjoying modding it. The problem I have noticed over the last week or so is that the Cab Fan only blows out warm to hot air. When I turn it down to blow cold air it still comes out really warm no matter what i do. Further more I notice the air comes out of all vents regardless of which selection I make on the dash. The van does not have Aircon.

Has anyone got any suggestions or experience of this. I am by no stretch of the imagination a mechanic so I have no idea what is behind the dash in the vent system or for that matter what it should look like.

Thanks!
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 09 at 14:52
Welcome aboard, mutd.  Lots of useful info here, and some helpful people too (when they aren't talking absolute bollocks).

Many T5s have problems with the heater control wires bending instead of moving the bits that adjust the flow of air.  IIRC there have been some threads about this problem, so try a search and see if you can find them.

Saerch is your friend, but I find it useful to use the advanced search and specify "any date", as the default search only looks at searches less than 6 months old, and many of the "good" threads are older than that.

Edited by gregozedobe - 30 Jul 09 at 14:52
bucski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bucski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 09 at 18:58
I had this happen on my old T4, just take of the fascia where the heater control dial is and see if the cable has come away from the mechanism, which means when you turn the control it doesn't pull the cable which alters the air temperature.
dazoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 09 at 09:39
Is there a way to fix these so that they don't fail again?

I had mine fixed and they lasted two turns before the same thing happened. Before I tear down the front of the van, I'd like to know if there is anything I can do so it will be the last time?
05 T5 LWB Panel van
gavtheoldskater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gavtheoldskater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 09 at 10:35
have a look here, apparently there is an updated dial...

Heritagevancentre View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heritagevancentre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 09 at 10:49

it could be the cables come off, i think theres a link somewhere

Contact the van centre on 01373 855815 for all you needs , we dont just work for vw we also have a passion for them aswell , so give us a call , promotions on there way!!
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 09 at 14:20
IIRC it is the clockwise movement from one of the settings to the next that causes problems, so I only rotate my dial anti-clockwise (and I think that restrriction is designed in to the new version of the dial).
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 09 at 16:45
Originally posted by Heritagevancentre Heritagevancentre wrote:

it could be the cables come off, i think theres a link somewhere

surfdub posted about it here on the 'Modifications' board'  Well worth a look for anyone that hasn't Thumbs Up http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/forum33.html

I had my cable controls replaced under warranty about 4 years ago and since then it has been fine.  In those days the modification to stop the knob going all the way round wasn't available but I seem to have got away with it so far and I turn it whichever way I want.

2004 2.5 174
mick g View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mick g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 09 at 20:30
Mine only goes one way round... Clocckwise i think....................... or it may be anti clockwiseConfusedConfused

Edited by mick g - 31 Jul 09 at 20:32
moreupsthandowns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moreupsthandowns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 09 at 12:59
Hi All

Fantastic guys! followed the link above showing me how to strip down and repair the fault with the vent controls and it is now all back up and working a treat! Thank You!

MUTDs
Uninvited View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uninvited Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 17 at 12:27
Hi
Proud owner of t4 1997 syncro.same problem with vents only blowing hot air.when dial to select cold air is turned the lever moves properly under the bonet.took out the valve to check if something got stuck in,but nothing.
Was wondering what else might be preventing the cold air to get in the cabin.
Thanks in advance
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply