The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fitting Caravelle Rail System

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fitting Caravelle Rail System
    Posted: 29 Jul 09 at 09:59

Does anyone know if it's possible to retro fit a Caravelle Rail system and seats to a Panel Van or Kombi?   If so does it need welding at all?

Cheers

Blakey

Edited by BlackBeltBlakey - 29 Jul 09 at 10:01
Lucky Dave View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucky Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 09 at 21:38
Mine just bolted in with the vw bolts and nuts, the chassis rails have the correct holes in the right places :)
BlackBeltBlakey View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 09 at 08:07
Originally posted by Lucky Dave Lucky Dave wrote:

Mine just bolted in with the vw bolts and nuts, the chassis rails have the correct holes in the right places :)

Sounds easy.

What floor did you bolt it on to?  Panel van or Kombi Load?   
Where did you get it?
How much?

Smile

Thanks!
Blakey
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 09 at 13:44
Bump - Dave?  Any answer to these questions?  

Anyone else know?

2007 130PS SWB Pearl Black Kombi. My Van Blog.
Bullifamilie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bullifamilie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 00:35
I added them to my van.  It was a long wheel base panel van originally.

Bought all the bits (rails, nuts, bolts, trim) from VW in Germany and Posted to Australia.  Don't ask about cost as I still don't like to think about it.

You have to remove the covers from under the van to work out where to drill.  The floor requires drilling but the chassis rails below are pre-drilled.

It's a fairly straight forward job but I had spend alot of time with the engineer who did my paperwork for Australian Desing Rules approval.  The fact that VW use this rail system all over the world wasn't good enough for him.  We had long discussions about bolt sizes versus tensile strength versus rail design.  I think he just gave up in the end as for every arguement he would raise I would turn up with a stack of paperwork and internet links.

The parts required should be posted in this forum somewhere, somebody posted them for me.  I have all the information but I don't know where.  If you need more help PM me.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 09:03
Thanks.

My (long term) plan is to replace the standard kombi 2-1 rear seats with this rail system and a single rear bench.  I want to do that for the great flexibility it gives regarding boot space and seating arrangements.  I already have swivel seats fitted in the cab so think they would go great with this system.  

Clearly however, they have to be done right as this is going to be used to sit friends and family at times so it needs to be 100% safe.   I'm wondering if my local VW would supply and fit this system...?

I think I'll ask.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 09 at 16:22
Well it appears my local Stealers won't do any modifications of this form.  They claim they are only allowed to fit standard VW parts and not do any mods.   Fair enough.

They have put me in touch with the people they sub contract this sort of stuff out to so I'm getting prices as I type.

Blakey
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 09 at 13:48
Well CoTrim (who I hear are VERY highly regarded with respect to their quality of work) have come back with a quote:

Caravelle floor rails to saloon.

Plywood sub-floor insulated underneath.

Anti-slip vinyl overlay full length of saloon floor.

Step and rail trims.

£2,680.00

Seems like a LOT of money basically just for the floor rails.  Doesn't even include the rear bench.  And to be fair I don't want a vinyl floor, I like the kombi load floor.

Stuck on how to proceed really.   Mind you this is all stuff for the future as I can't afford this just now so maybe I'll let it lie till I have the money to consider it.

Blakey
rob64981 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob64981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 09 at 15:38
Blakey

Does that quote include them suppling the rails?

You can get the rear seats from Germany.

Once the rails are in you can bring one back very easily.

Rob
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 09 at 15:42
Originally posted by rob64981 rob64981 wrote:

Blakey

Does that quote include them suppling the rails?

You can get the rear seats from Germany.

Once the rails are in you can bring one back very easily.

Rob

Yes definitely includes supply.   Still seems excessive to me - even if they are a very good company which I'm not doubting at all.
funky View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 09 at 23:51
i fitted my rails myself and to be honest its not that much of a job,there is no way id pay that sort of money for it,
im selling my seat rails etc if your interested could even do a deal on fitting
funk
superchargedpolo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superchargedpolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 09 at 18:10
I am looking to buy this rail system or similar.  Does anyone know where I can find the parts list mentioned above.  I have done a search etc.

Funk - Are the rails you're selling for a LWB or SWB van?

Cheers
Craig
funky View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 09 at 19:54

mine are swb, rails seat bed and extension  £1300 0n0 

Post Reply Post Reply