The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

diesel fumes in cab

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozicheek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: diesel fumes in cab
    Posted: 22 Jul 09 at 18:48
Hello i've noticed recently that when i start the van up you get a strong smell of diesel fumes coming into the van, my wife complains about it whilst we're out in it but i can only smell it now and again.. can anyone help!!!Ermm
T30 2.5
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 09 at 22:55
sounds like you may have an exhaust leak somewhere, could be gaskets or exhaust manifold. good way to check is at night with a torch and the engine running...oh and the bonnet open! :D
Exhaust manifolds seem to crack when the van has bumped the rear end (shifts the exhaust forward - this can crack the turbo casing as well)
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
brownster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 09 at 23:11
I get the same thing. The minute you start moving it goes. Think mine could be a gasket as when the engine is warm I don't get the smell. Was also thinking it may be something to do with the turbo gasket as a friend has the same engine code as mine and when he accelerates you can hear the turbo but with mine you can't ( does that make sense?!) But both vans are equally as fast.... strange...
T32 140 Kombi Facelift Metallic Natural Grey
John K View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 09 at 01:43
I get this occasionally, mine is normally at the lights after driving for a few minutes.   Couldn't see any leaks around the exhaust but will try at night with a torch.Thumbs Up
2006 T5 174 TDI 4motion LWB
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 09 at 02:41

Also check the joins around the EGR plumbing, mine had a slight leak there that was fixed with new gaskets (no smell, but I could see some black muck in the vicinity).

max5765 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max5765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 09 at 12:23
Your problem is probably the exhaust for the additional water heater VW fit to the T5. This exits just off centreline in front of the fuel tank. These do kick out a bit of smoke upon start-up and also when you stop and switch the engine off. 
MAX c/o www.amf-bruns.de

Take note.....the Blue Moon's Rising.....
mozicheek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozicheek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 09 at 21:49
Woh, that sounds like bad kahoonas if it is any of these things how bigga problem is it!!
T30 2.5
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 09 at 22:52
Mine leaks fumes from the exhaust manifold gasket.... Also I get a chirping noise from that region, could be the gasket resonating as the fumes escape.... could be a new issue that rivals the clonk
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
 Post Reply Post Reply