The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plumbing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
I'm not indecisive,or am I?You bet I am!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plumbing
    Posted: 15 Jul 09 at 10:58
Ive got the basic certificates to plumb and am thinking of getting all the full qualifications etc. Is it worth it folks?
alfieboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 09 at 13:05
There's not as much plumbing work about as there was last year,gas is where the money is,get your CCN1 and you should be fine.
DOGSBREATH View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
gok wan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DOGSBREATH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 09 at 22:08
 Dave theres always work for people who turn out quality work. You problem is starting up at the moment, and trying to build a good reputation. Try to get a job with a good firm untill it picks up a bit.
Tee4 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 09 at 12:19
Thats the plan me thinks. Get my stuff done, work for someone for as long as they can put up with me and purhaps go solo when the credit crunch is over.
purpleT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpleT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 09 at 15:23
Hi Dave
go for it
next year you will need a cert for plumbing in a washing machine
if the insurance companies get there way
as plumbing will be covered by similar legislation as electrics
insurance companies forced the electrical regs that came in a couple of years ago

Tony
vw venom View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vw venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 09 at 20:29
did you do  a home training course ?
these are disliked by companys as i found out
train4trade skills?
if you have your ticket go selfemplyed or council/housing orginisation
my mate only changes taps /baths/sinks and gets a packet
flyy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 09 at 19:21
Nice one for having the balls to change careerClap.  I left school at 15 and began my plumbing apprenticeship.  I was a plumber/gasfitter for 17yrs, i left it 9 yrs ago cos i was sick of it. 
It happens all across the board now fast track training. It makes a mockery of everyone who has spent years serving their time.
     A training centre and the real world are two different things, do the best training you can.
At a minimum you should get a City and Guilds Advanced Craft certificate or similar if it is still available,it's probably changed to an NVQ qualification now as i did mine in '88.

CCN 1 is the most basic qualification, you then have to do a course for each appliance.
You can only do jobs legally on your own if you are a  paid up member of corgi.
   Eg,you've been working all day doing gas work with your corgi registered employer, you can't then go and do a homer legally because you are not personally corgi reg.  Just a moneyspinner for them as you are qualified to do the work but have'nt paid your due to corgi.

Good luck on the road aheadSmile

Edited by flyy - 19 Jul 09 at 19:31
vw venom View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vw venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 09 at 21:42
flyy thats why i quit my training, at the end you get the paper work but not the skills and knowledge
a normal college can provide more and be cheaper than a fast track
look at plumbers uk forum

Tee4 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 09 at 13:35

Thank you folks. I was a little dubious about doing a fast track course. I have my CCN 1 already got that a few years ago have contemplated doing the full qualification since.

vw venom View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vw venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 09 at 14:40
do not ring them up
 they hard sell and make you feel worthless, and that its your only way to get a job when this country sorts itself out
some blokes on the plumbing forum are trying to get watchdog on them
Aidan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 09 at 17:09
I retrained as plumber a few years ago, got my NVQ2 but whilst I like the actual plumbing work I found I don't like working in other peoples houses and putting up with customers hence the setting up of the gearbox business instead.
If you do go for it and need any tools and bits I've got a fair stash that I might not use.
Problem also is the constant need to recertificate, I did my unvented hot water cert and my WIAPS when they were supposed to be for life, now you have to retake them every five years. I did my 16th ed. and basic electrics course too then they bring in part P, just gets in the way of being a sole trader and doing a good job.
Do the gas courses and get your corgi (or whatever it's now called) that's where the easier money is and then get a job with british gas do as little as you can and wait for the pension
Aidan Talbot, gearboxes for watercooled engines, 4, 5 speed and syncro front and rear rebuilt. 01691 648011, 07817 377938....www.aidantalbot.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply