The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

temporary cruise control failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5camper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: temporary cruise control failure
    Posted: 15 Jul 09 at 10:30
Driving up the A74, sitting at 70mph in 6th gear my cruise control suddenly switched itself off.   I tried switching it off and on again, to no avail, then noticed the dashboard light had gone out.  I pulled over to the hard shoulder, turned the engine off and on again and the cruise control was back.  Its never happaned to me before before, has it happened to anyone else? Is it likely to recur?
Autosleeper Trident 54 plate
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 09 at 14:22
VWs have a common fault with the CC.  The fix is to replace the stalk with a new one.  Are you still covered by warranty ?
T5camper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5camper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 09 at 14:46
I had the CC put in just after I bought the vehicle some 30 months ago, so yes I think the warranty is still valid.  Do you think it might be worth getting in touch with the dealer, or just mark it down as "one of those things" and hope it doesn't happen again.
Autosleeper Trident 54 plate
BlackBeltBlakey View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBeltBlakey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 09 at 15:37
If you're close to warranty what harm in contacting the dealer?  If it's broke then you get a new one probably just months before the warranty expires.  After that it's £207 to have one fitted.
chriscroft View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriscroft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 09 at 17:34

I have a retrofit cruise fitted by a vw dealer about 3 years ago. 2 years ago, driving while it was lashing down through stood water and deep puddles, the cruise cut out. When I restarted the vehicle the following day the cruse light was back on. It left me wondering if water ingress played a part???             The good news is it has never happened again, touch wood!!!!

You cann't have enough dogs - 9 and counting! 2004 fresco green velle 174se 125k miles owned for 4years
kawolsky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kawolsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 09 at 21:03
I also had this happen  on my previous t5. on the M5... doing 70ish... it switched off and wouldn't come back on. got home  and stressed about it all night , next day it worked perfectly . took it to VW, they looked for a fault log, nothing. never did it again.
Chauffeurdude View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chauffeurdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 09 at 23:29
I had cruise fitted to my Shuttle by supplying dealer about 1 month after had van. Had few problems with it when brake light switch playing silly buggers as keeps cutting it outLOL 

CC not worked for a little while now. One sunday morning had early job to Birmingham Airport and then lunchtime collection from Dover. Dropped  customer at Birmingham, cut across to M1 South, M25 to Dartford etc. As no rush set cruise at 60mph and didn't need to turn it off once. Not far from Dartford Crossing noticed some wisps of smoke coming from stalk and hit the off buttonShocked Pulled over but nothing obviously wrong so carried on regardlessLOL. However when you try to turn cruise on with switch on stalk nothing happens and no light on dashDead. Been meaning to have a look but just not got round to it yet. Not sure whether something overheated as that was probably the longest cruise had ever been onLOL Probably needs a new stalk judging by previous posts!!
Owns VW Transporter T5 Shuttle SE 130 TDi.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 09 at 23:56
Originally posted by Chauffeurdude Chauffeurdude wrote:

I had cruise fitted to my Shuttle by supplying dealer about 1 month after had van. Had few problems with it when brake light switch playing silly buggers as keeps cutting it outLOL 

I wondered about that when I first saw this post because the brake or clutch pedal switches can cause the CC to drop out if they are faulty but they wouldn't cause the CC light to go out.  So the switch is the most likely candidate (especially if it happens to be smoking at the time!)

Still in awe of your mileage CD Clap  I saw a 2.5 T5 Taxi with 266,00 miles on today Big smile
2004 2.5 174
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 09 at 04:30
Originally posted by T5camper T5camper wrote:

I had the CC put in just after I bought the vehicle some 30 months ago, so yes I think the warranty is still valid.  Do you think it might be worth getting in touch with the dealer, or just mark it down as "one of those things" and hope it doesn't happen again.

Yes.  Based on the many reports I'v read about faulty CCs, they sometimes start out as as an occassional glitch, then play up more frequently as time goes by.  With a bit of luck their dealer software tool will show a CC fault on the ECU and they will just replace it for you without quibbling.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriscroft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 09 at 07:45
Just a point regarding diagnostic, has anybody had issues with the main dealer trying to charge them an hour for using VAG COM even when fault is evident, but the computer could not identify it.
This has happened to me on 3 occasions albeit when the vehicle was in the vw extended warrantee period which I took out for years 4 and 5.

On two out of the three times I successfully argued that I wasn't paying it, on the third time I was in rush, the fault has been fixed (drivers heated seat not working), which entailed taking the seat base apart changing bits and fitting a new cover to the base and back, I was just so please after 4 times failing to fix it, I paid the £85 diagnostic as the line of people waiting to see the service manager was just too longAngryAngry And I have had so much work done on the extended warrantee by the dealer I just couldn't be arsed.

Oh and just before anybody asks It's only the mrs that uses the heated seats, honestWink

You cann't have enough dogs - 9 and counting! 2004 fresco green velle 174se 125k miles owned for 4years
The Transporter View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Transporter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 09 at 09:06
On a similar note, My radio thew a wobbler the other day, I switched it off whilst I was chatting to someone but when I came to switch it back on there was nothing... Turned engine off and back on, still nothing and since it was late I decided to leave it for the morning... Next morning everything was back to normal and no probs since... Ho Hum!

Off to get my airbag light turned off again, it comes on every four months or so, and the fault is alway multiple connection error (Or something to that effect) but since I do a bit of aircon work for QR sport, they don't charge me and it is easier to allow the fault to develop to it's natural conclusion
2004 174bhp AXE engine..... Belligerence has been confirmed.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 09 at 10:55
Originally posted by chriscroft chriscroft wrote:

Just a point regarding diagnostic, has anybody had issues with the main dealer trying to charge them an hour for using VAG COM even when fault is evident, but the computer could not identify it.
This has happened to me on 3 occasions albeit when the vehicle was in the vw extended warrantee period which I took out for years 4 and 5.

On two out of the three times I successfully argued that I wasn't paying it, on the third time I was in rush, the fault has been fixed (drivers heated seat not working), which entailed taking the seat base apart changing bits and fitting a new cover to the base and back, I was just so please after 4 times failing to fix it, I paid the £85 diagnostic as the line of people waiting to see the service manager was just too longAngryAngry And I have had so much work done on the extended warrantee by the dealer I just couldn't be arsed.  

I reckon they are having a lend of you - it isn't your fault that that there are no codes stored in your ECU.  How on earth can they justify charging you for a full hour's labour to plug in the dealer tool and for it to say "no faults found" ?  10 minutes work tops IMHO (probably more like 5 minutes if they really know what they are doing).  Maybe there were other faults recorded that they didn't want to tell you about, or maybe it's just a good little earner for them ?

If there was a long line of people behind you waiting to see the service manager that only means YOU are in the position of power, not them Wink
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chriscroft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 09 at 17:34
Yep I know.      The big diffence is the extended warrantee v's the 3 year manufactures. They are both vw, but they are administered totally differently. You can end up with a proper fight over things which it would seem are definatly covered (the burden of proof with the extended warrantee seems to be with you to proove it is cover, wereas with the manufactures they have to proof that it isn't) this isn't the dealer its VW, who then screw the dealers on time allowance and hourly rate, although they have a big margin on hourly rate. I was really suprised at the bun fights I had to have, fortunatly I won in the end, other than £85, but I do believe that the dealer did try to fight my case with VW.           Maybe I'm getting soft.

Any way back to cc.
 Post Reply Post Reply