FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 85ps Tuning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 85ps Tuning
    Posted: 14 Aug 09 at 05:47
Originally posted by CrazyCano CrazyCano wrote:

Should I own up to my insurance company? and should I quote 150Bhp (engine) or 117bhp (@ wheels)

Tell them FA. They'll never find outWink
Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
smidsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smidsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 09 at 22:48
having mine remapped seems to of accelerated the process of my dmf finally giving up.

watch your rev counter (safely) if there is a small sudden rise and drop in the revs this could be a sign of the DMF/ clutch on the way out and it's time to start saving furiously for the inevitable.

CrazyCano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 09 at 17:24
I went ahead and got the engine remapped by a friendly company in bristol. It definatley has more power! I'm very pleased with the result. I'm still waiting to finish a tank of fuel so i can work out the mpg. I have a couple of questions though...

Is the increase in torque likely to effect the life of the clutch? I guess it will a bit, but will it be dramatic?

Should I own up to my insurance company? and should I quote 150Bhp (engine) or 117bhp (@ wheels)

Occasionally when changing to second or third and accelerating at a medium pace it makes a small noise almost sounds like something slipping (a kind of squaking noise), only for a second or so.... what could this be?

Any replies would be ace, cheers!
Alex
VW T5 2004 1.9TDI SURFBUS
triple View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 09 at 22:57
I went on celtic tuning's website and it does say that the 85hp can be mapped upto 150hp but it also states that , that figure is at the engine and that equates to 117.5hp at the wheels it also says they can map the 174 upto 227hp at the engine and that equates to a more realistic 195hp at the wheels.

Tornado red celtic mapped lwb 174 AXE.
2014 bmw s1000r.
ktm 350 freeride
1975 yamaha rd350b
CrazyCano View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 09 at 14:18
I have an 85bhp model too, would such tuning help with mpg? I find i have my foot flat to the floor on a lot of steeper parts motorways etc... and it can't be helping fuel consumption. If it gave me a 10% increase in mpg then it should pay for itself in just over a year..?

What do you reckon?
VW T5 2004 1.9TDI SURFBUS
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 09 at 22:37
Yeah. Didn't put it on the rollers beforehand, so the assumption is ~85hp standard. Got it dyno'd after though, 144.3hp at the flywheel. After a recent service and oil flush it seems slightly better. Had I serviced it prior to the dyno it could well have made 150. Fast as fuck.Big smileThumbs Up
smidsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smidsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 09 at 22:12
Originally posted by smidsy smidsy wrote:

as the loon says,

celtic tuning. they reckon my 85 is now a 153, i haven't had it on the dyno so i'll say it's a claimed 153.
i haven't noticed any difference in fuel consuption but i do tend to drive it normally and only 'enjoy' the extra up hills and on the odd motorway sliproad.
this is what they claim. i was going to put it on their dyno when i was down cornwall last week but after my recent troubles with the van i wasn't going to tempt fate.
and at the end of the day all i really care about is that it's much improved on 3rd,4th and 5th acceleration and it goes up hills with no loss of speed. (it actually accelerates)

i think i recall that the loon has done all the dyno stuff when his van was remapped.
fozzy T5 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzy T5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 09 at 21:47
I find 150bhp hard to believe, do you have the dyno printout before and after, surley your risking blowing the turbo, the boost must be right up.
smidsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smidsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 09 at 21:33
as the loon says,

celtic tuning. they reckon my 85 is now a 153, i haven't had it on the dyno so i'll say it's a claimed 153.
i haven't noticed any difference in fuel consuption but i do tend to drive it normally and only 'enjoy' the extra up hills and on the odd motorway sliproad.
stevext View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevext Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 09 at 21:10
Hi Mate

I saw celtic's website this afternoon and when i've got the rest of the issues with the van sorted i'll pay them a visit,Not sure how the 150bhp re-map would affect the fuel consumption as i've got a lightish right foot but you dont get that much extra power without  taking a hit somewhere!.

cheers
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 09 at 19:14
I can recommend Celtic Tuning for remapping an 85. They recon it will see 150hp, mine got 144.3 and I'm delighted with it.
stevext View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevext Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 09 at 12:41
Cheers chaps,i'll take a look........
Vdub_heaven View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vdub_heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 09 at 22:57
IMAP IS ONE TO LOOK AT!

pendle performance are pretty good too!

VW Galaxy 130 in black
220k t4 800 special just died!!RIP
Proud owner of an 05 T30 lwb 130 in a whiter shade of grey!!
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 09 at 18:56
When I got mine remapped I was told the only difference between the 85 and 104 was the ECU. As for the variants ie 115 130 150, sorry I've no idea.Embarrassed
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 09 at 09:40
Most of the power upgrades on here just consist of "chipping". They all seem happy with the result, the one to avoid being a capacitor change off ebay that just fools the engine into supplying more fuel.
The best one is a system that can be installed and easily swapped from van to van. As usual my memory fails to provide a name but the wide awake guys will no doubt be along soon. I think a useful increase to 104ps can be gained without any penalty.
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
stevext View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevext Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 09 at 09:28
Hi

I was wondering if anyone in the know could explain how the vw group get the different power output's from the 1.9tdi unit as theres quite a few variants it seems.Mine is an 85ps model and i would like to up the power but is it simply just a chip or does the actuator and different tubos/larger intercooler come into play on the bigger power units?

many thanks

stevext
 Post Reply Post Reply