The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Westy LPG tank won't fill

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Muchumanga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muchumanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Westy LPG tank won't fill
    Posted: 14 Jan 20 at 19:29
The best in these cases is to replace the complete valve.
This valve has an interesting system of operation:
It has an internal plunger, which when filling the container is filled with LPG, this gas leaves from below the plunger by the small plastic device, but its float is 80% filled, and the cam drops the small plastic device, so the embolus outlet is blocked, and the same filling pressure makes the embolus rise and cover the LPG inlet quite strongly. Thus, the embolus has more surface below that arrives and allows this to happen.
There is a very tiny hole that lets the pressure drop very slowly and everything normalizes, so the system does not work forever.

Nicolas...

davidd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 09 at 11:56
FIXED IT!!!!

I took the plunge and removed the filler valve from the tank (wear gloves!). The float was cracked which, I assume, meant it didn't float. So the 80% cut-off would not work. I repaired with epoxy resin and checked the movement of the two valves - seemed smooth.

(Incidently I could not work out how the 80% cut-off bit actually worked. When the float is high it allows a small plunger to move out, presumeably closing an internal valve. But I couldn't see anything actually happen!)

Anyway I screwed the valve back in (using teflon tape on the tapered thread) and made sure it was orientated correctly so the float would work (the valve is marked 'top'). Drove to the local LPG pump and, voila!, it filled to 80% and then shut off!!!!

Now I'm sure there are those who would say never touch the LPG system but I could see no other choice. Maybe my experience will help someone else. See photo ...

davidd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 09 at 07:55
I pretty sure its my filler valve at fault. Took the Motorcome to three different lpg stations yesterday with same result - slow filling (30p worth over 10 mins!).

Unusually I can't find anything on the internet and I am fearing a new/replacement valve is not available (modern tanks seem to have a different design).

This is soooo frustrating!
Jam-Man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jam-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 09 at 23:52
It may well simply be the pipe that runs from your filler  to the tank. Some companies use very narrow pipe here, and where it goes round a gentle bend, sometimes flattens off, which makes the problem worse. Some types of filler will only take the smaller type pipe and this seriously compromises filling ability and speed.
petergeeky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petergeeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 09 at 19:32
Hi,

might be worth trying on here:

http://www.lpgforum.co.uk

Rgds
Peter.

Edited by petergeeky - 26 Oct 09 at 19:35
davidd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 09 at 17:28

As per my original post, my LPG tank will not fill (well, it fills veeerrrrryyyy slowly).

I have ran it out of gas (as per one suggestion) and it still doesn't fill.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement valve?

David
sufer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sufer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 09 at 16:59
david
i have the same problem with my tank. would be good to find the solution. 
live life to the full, with no regrets and you will die with a smile on your face.

1989 LT31 Florida, 1970 VW GT super bug
davidd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 09 at 17:53
Thanks for the advice. In fact I tried it on 3 UK pumps with the same result.

David
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 09 at 17:48
I'd run it dry and then try venting it to atmospheric pressure , either via the BBQ outlet or loosen the gas valve , could be that the French lpg pump was a new pump , and pumped at a higher pressure , or the UK one was old and couldn't equalize pressure between the two tanks 
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

davidd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 09 at 17:31
Well the 100% tank lasted ages! The tank got to 30% when I tried to refill. Got it up to 40% over 10 mins of filling. The rest of the gas system works OK

David
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 09 at 15:39
Is there any still in the tank ?

Steve at gasure maybe able to help
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

davidd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 09 at 14:54
The underslung LPG tank on my Sven/Florida will not fill (or at least it does only VERY slowly). Thinking back, the last time I filled it was in France months ago when, to my suprise, it went to 100% full (normally self-stops at 80%).

So I am thinking the shut-off valve maybe damaged. Anyone know if this can be replaced and how? Or could there be an easier solution?

Thanks in anticipation

David 
 Post Reply Post Reply