The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fridge quiet PC fan mod thread???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 09 at 02:45
   Just been reading the interesting correspondence about 'fridge fans. Should have known that I was not alone in replacing the defunct original with inexpensive & quiet "square" ones as used in electronic equipment.
   But I would suggest that all of those fans pictured are mounted in the wrong place!  Sure, they are a big improvement, but basically they are stirring the hot air around, not getting rid of it.  I put a couple side by side behind the top vent grille of my first Florida so that they sucked hot air out of the 'fridge compartment and dump it to the outside, and hence cool air is drawn in and over the cooling fins.  Those 2 fans kept the interior cool and the 'fridge workingproperly even in the heat of Morocco, and only needed to run maybe 1 minute in 5.
   Another reason to do it this way, is that the'fridge installation on the Westfalias that I have had are really not at all good insomuch as they  vent hot air into the van interior!!  In fact, the Vanagon has NO outside venting, and LT (Florida) installations are compromised by the position of the sliding door track, which prevents the upper grille from being installed where it should be - at the highest point.  So most of the hot air goes through the perforated panel behind the sink straight into the interior!  I don't doubt that neither installation would comply with some EU legislation these days - the 'fridge compartment should be sealed off from the interior. 
   Another thing, the little "button "type temperature switches. I just picked up a couple at a local electronics store here (Vancouver, Canada) for $3 each - they are apparently often used in appliances like coffee makers. Settings of course vary - I got  contacts (N/O) close at 45deg. and 55 deg.C.  Have not had a chance to test them yet to see which is the most suitable setting.
James  

Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 09 at 19:06
Quite right James, problem with a Westy is that there are NO vents to the outside, so cool air cannot be drawn in from the bottom and circulate through the top to the outside. Best compromise is to push the air up to the top grill at the back of the kitchen block, hopefully drawing slightly cooler air in from the base ventialtion grill.

The computer fans I have installed on mine definitely make the fridge work a LOT better when on 12V, not a lot better on 240V as it was already pretty good. I have 2 fans that come on when the 12V switch is selected, so they run constantly when I`m driving and the fridge i working from battery. I have another fan on a manual switch so I can switch it on when parked up and running on either hook-up or gas, and I also have another fan which is wired through the thermo switch (replacing the original 3-bladed fan) so it comes on automatically if the temp gets too high behind the fridge. All four are quiet fans from a PC supplier.
Sunny Lancs
barbelbob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbelbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 14 at 10:53
Originally posted by Joker_Club Joker_Club wrote:

by irish.david 
Hi,

This isn't really an answer to the original question but given the title of the thread i thought it would fit in. I've recently pulled my Westy's Electrolux RM184 out with the aim of fixing it up a bit. Assuming the all the mechanics are basically ok and the fridge is level I read on an american site that the main reason for poor performance is the lack of ventilation around the heat transfer surfaces like the condensor on the back and the heat exchanger that actually does the cooling inside the fridge.

When i pulled my fridge out the fan mounted on the back under the condensors was totally seized, but even if it hadn't been it was getting replaced. The motor was an old 1970's DC brushed motor and DC motors have come on a lot in 30 years. I replaced it with 2 x 80mm 12V brushless PC cooling fans. Both have a much higher cfm (airflow) than the original as well as drawing significantly less current and being much quieter. I just wired them in parallel with the original thermostat, which still worked. A pic of this is shown below.

Next i drilled a hole in the back of the fridge just above the heat exchanger and ran a couple of wires through. I glued 2 x 50mm 12v brushless PC fans to the top of the right side of the heat exchanger and connected them in parallel with the cables going through the hole. I wired the fans to a switch i mounted on the front of the fridge, and finally filled the hole with a silicone sealant.

Hi all,

I'm adding the 2 fans to the inside of the fridge, but have come to a halt due to confusion of where to run the live feed from. Any ideas?

cheers
Rob
Westy Atlantic

1.6td 1990
Pete Westy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 14 at 09:47
Where the cables come in at the back into a connector block, the black wire (confusingly) is the positive. It joins to a red in the third terminal block connector from the back. This red then goes to the 12v/240/gas switch. I connected mine there.

Edited by Pete Westy - 15 Dec 14 at 09:52
Pete

I've spent so much time under the Atlantic I'm changing my name to Titanic.
barbelbob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbelbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 14 at 13:09
Thanks Pete, much appreciated.
Westy Atlantic

1.6td 1990
danmetallic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danmetallic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 15 at 19:12
There's some great advice here. I've just reinstalled my fridge having fitted a new ignitor and two new fans. This thread was v useful, thanks!

A quick question though. When is the thermo switch supposed to operate the fan? Gas, 12v or 240v or all 3. And also has anyone got the temp values or a link to the thermo switch needed?
http://VolkswagenT3.com
Red Westie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Westie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 15 at 09:11
Having carried out this mod myself there are a couple of points I would like to add.

Most people on here are using TWO 80mm fans which I admit do give an even spread of air movement over the lower heat exchange. However, there is actually enough depth to fit just one 120mm fan giving a similar CFM figure but with far less noise.

Also: be careful not to use cheap sleaved bearing fans, these will seize within a couple of years. You need quality ball bearing fans which have a much longer lifespan and are not prone to seizing.

I also fitted a simple rocker switch to overide the thermal switch...this means that I can choose to have the fan on permanently for best cooling..great in hot locations.

Martin
shelly
jp1 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jp1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 15 at 18:32
For danmetallic:

When is the thermo switch supposed to operate the fan? Gas, 12v or 240v or all 3. And also has anyone got the temp values or a link to the thermo switch needed?

I had to replace the switch as the fan started coming on almost all the time.
It operates whichever heat source is in use - i.e. for all 3.
The temperature is 60C. Switches are available from many electronic component suppliers - use Google. I got mine from Rapid; had to buy two, so now have a spare to use next time it fails (probably in 25 years).

jp
jp

1986 Westfalia Joker
DJ 2.1 5-speed
mine from new
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Baxters Chocolate Star Boy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 15 at 22:27
Dam good thread this, although my fridge works well on gas and hook up (will ice up) its not so good on 12v LB, however it drives me mad as the fan is very noise and runs for hours when hot. So going to fit a couple of new fans if only for a quiet life.

Just wondering if its worth fitting a fan up high back of dildo to pull air up and out via a switch????

Will update once fitted

Edited by Holydiver - 19 May 15 at 17:24

Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 15 at 13:37
two new fans fitted at the weekend and work really well, can even feel the air bring sucked in at the vent :-) also wired via an override switch.
Old

New

Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 15 at 20:47
Just got back from France where some days it was 37° in the van, fridge worked like a dream on gas when out for the day, although fans did run until the early hours when it cooled down, would run for about 10 mins then off for 10 before cutting in again

craigy345 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigy345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 16 at 11:26
Hi Holydiver,
Im going to take my fridge out and looking to do the fridge mod.
Yours looks really neat.
Where did you get your fans from? and I also want to do the override switch so that I can have the option of fan permanently on or just working via the original thermo switch.
Can you please explain how you did the override switch wiring?
Thanks

VW T3 1987 Westfalia Club Joker
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 16 at 14:07
Originally posted by craigy345 craigy345 wrote:

Hi Holydiver,
Im going to take my fridge out and looking to do the fridge mod.
Yours looks really neat.
Where did you get your fans from? and I also want to do the override switch so that I can have the option of fan permanently on or just working via the original thermo switch.
Can you please explain how you did the override switch wiring?
Thanks

Sorry for the delay but been away, fans were from Amazon, will see if I can did the info out over the weekend.

Cheers

craigy345 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigy345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 16 at 22:15
Cheers that's great.
Currently got the fridge out upside down!!
But not progressed further as I'm away until the weekend.
Will wait for your reply.
Thanks very much for taking the trouble.
👍🏻
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 16 at 13:49
Sorry I couldn't find which PC fans I used, I know they were from amazon, I just searched PC fan, I got the ones fitted with a roller bearing and not the cheapest. believe they're a 100mm ones.
Mod
I fitted a single pole switch one side connects to the live feed going to the thermoset (fan stat)  and the other to the fans.Works well on Gas and Ele now.

Edited by Holydiver - 30 Aug 16 at 13:51

craigy345 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigy345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 16 at 00:13
Cheer's thanks for replying.

I Will have a measure up and buy some fans from amazon also.

My fridge has never had ice forming inside!!!
Did yours prior to the fan mod and how long does it take to cool down and ice form?

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.
Holydiver View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holydiver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 16 at 13:03
It's always iced up on Gas or Ele

craigy345 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigy345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 16 at 23:53
Ok Fridge fan mod done on my RM184 EGI (2x 80mm 12v PC fans via amazon)
Wired to come on via the original thermo switch or an illuminated on/off switch fitted to the front panel.
Old and New Fans

In addition I wanted to see how efficient the fridge is in the various power sources so have added an internal 12v thermometer with Led display also added to the front panel and operated via the same illuminated switch.
Both mods seem to all be working as they should. Thumbs Up

But I have a problem and need some help PLEASE!
I have plugged the fridge into the 240v (whilst still out of the van) and the 240v element is not heating up? Thumbs Down
I tested the element by directly applying 240v and the element heats up as it should so know its not a faulty element.
I think I have traced the possible fault to the thermostat?
I have confirmed I am getting 240v to the thermostat dial (black 240v +) but am not getting any 240v out of thermostat, black short wire that connects to the AC fridge on/off panel switch?
This is regardless of what position the thermostat dial is in or the AC power button is on/off? 

Shown in the photo above is the thermostat out to the AC on/off fridge panel switch

Question: should this be live 240v which seems to make sense? if this is faulty how easy is this to source and then fit?

Help very much appreciated and hope my fan/thermometer mod helps someone in return.

myheadsashed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myheadsashed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 16 at 20:46
I've been looking at fans to carryout the mod to the fridge. I've one of these...

It looks to be the same fan as the GoWesty use. UK supplied for a tenner delivered.
We'll see what it's like when it arrives.
craigy345 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigy345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 16 at 23:29
I think the Gowesty one only has 2 wires i.e red/black (+ & -)

The one in the link has 3 wires.

Still should be fine, looks a nice fan, quiet, low power consumstion and good air flow.

Good Luck

Clap 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>