The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fridge quiet PC fan mod thread???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fridge quiet PC fan mod thread???
    Posted: 01 Jul 09 at 15:40
hello

i have been searching for ages and I can find reference to the "Fridge quiet PC fan mod" thread but I can't find the thread with instructions on how to do this
can anyone post the link please

thanks
irishkeet Tongue
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 09 at 16:05
Picture on this thread of back of fridge with the fan attached
Go-Westy kit showing how to fit it

If you fit the PC fan (12V) in place of the old fan, just connect the wiring up to suit, making sure it blows through the fins the right way (fan will have direction marked on it) also try and buy some quiet fans, ball bearing types. Ebay is good for surplus fans at sensible prices. 60mm fans are plenty big enough, as they cover the finned area nicely.

I used a length of binding wire through the fan corner mounting holes to fasten it tightly to the finned tubes. I`ve got 3 fans on mine, 2 working off the original wiring controlled by the thermo switch, and one on a manual switch so I can have it switch it to running all the time while driving, to assist in air flow and hopefully make the cooling more efficient on 12V.

Edited by Joker_Club - 01 Jul 09 at 16:06
Sunny Lancs
westyguesty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westyguesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 09 at 17:13
Got my fans from Maplin, not much and really quiet. Two 80mm fans on the outside, cable tied and wired to the thermo switch, but also with a manual switch on both.
Also fitted two smaller ones (40mm) I think inside the fridge just above the metal element to flow the air round inside the fridge. Got this on a manual switch inside the cupboard.

Really quiet and keeps the fridge really cool.
irishkeet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 09 at 17:35
many thanks for the help
i have the fridge out for a service at the mo so i thought I might upgrade the fan

joker_club or westyguesty do you have any photos of your set up wired to the thermo switch? also how did you add a switch?

sorry but im a bit unsure about the wiring

cheers
irishkeet

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 09 at 21:12
There are two existing wires from the thermo switch end down to the original fan, cut the wires off at the old fan end, and wire up to your new fan, job done. Make sure it runs the right way.

For the extra fan with manual switch I ran a 12V feed and earth wire from my LB via the auxiliary fuse-box I installed (see threads about it the other week) then just break one of the wires via a switch, connect to your new fans (s) and the jobs done. I shoulda foto`d the thing before chucking it back in, but didn`t !!
Sunny Lancs
irishkeet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 09 at 09:41
thanks J_C ill have a go on the weekend Thumbs Up
Stefvan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 09 at 10:15
I got an aluminium fan from Ebay struggled to find a 120mm one like Gowestys but the aluminium makes mounting very easy as you just drill through the edge of the fan and use the original self tappers
Ebay item 170328794345

Stefvan
irishkeet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 09 at 13:40
Hi J_C

i think I will do the same and use a length of binding wire through the fan corner mounting holes to fasten it tightly to the finned tubes, I already have 2 80mm quiet fans

may well be an obvious Q but do I want the cool air from the fan blowing over the fins?

thanks
irishkeet

Originally posted by Joker_Club Joker_Club wrote:

Picture on this thread of back of fridge with the fan attached
Go-Westy kit showing how to fit it

If you fit the PC fan (12V) in place of the old fan, just connect the wiring up to suit, making sure it blows through the fins the right way (fan will have direction marked on it) also try and buy some quiet fans, ball bearing types. Ebay is good for surplus fans at sensible prices. 60mm fans are plenty big enough, as they cover the finned area nicely.

I used a length of binding wire through the fan corner mounting holes to fasten it tightly to the finned tubes. I`ve got 3 fans on mine, 2 working off the original wiring controlled by the thermo switch, and one on a manual switch so I can have it switch it to running all the time while driving, to assist in air flow and hopefully make the cooling more efficient on 12V.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 09 at 21:28
That`s the way I`ve done mine, blowing through the fins from the bottom, so the air circulates upwards (hopefully it`s warm) and out the grill at the top rear of the kitchen block.
Sunny Lancs
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westyguesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 09 at 19:06
Just found a picture of my fridge fans. Two read wires going to the fans, one for the switch and one for the thermo switch. The small wires you can see going inside the fridge are for the internal fans, just operating on and external switch.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 09 at 23:24

What`s the milk carton do?

Sunny Lancs
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westyguesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 09 at 09:35
Makes space to keep the beer cool Wink
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 09 at 19:55
is this mod worth doing to a fridge without a fan orignaly fitted?
its an electrolux fridge.
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 09 at 20:27
Originally posted by T3ADICT T3ADICT wrote:

is this mod worth doing to a fridge without a fan orignaly fitted?
its an electrolux fridge.

Yes, definitely, the more air you move over the cooling fins the better the unit will work, a real advantage when running on 12V
Sunny Lancs
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westyguesty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 09 at 20:29
Mine works well with the mod, but don't know how much better. When the original fan first came on it was really noisy, so got replaced.
82dABN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82dABN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 09 at 10:49
Where can I get a new thermo switch?

Prefer one that switches on at 124 degrees F and off at 104 degrees F like described.

95 degree F (approximate) little button switch for the evaporator fins I got on Ebay runns constantly most of the time even when on pilot gas.  Hot here in southern California.

also when cooler, there apparently is no difference between the on and off temps so it is constantly cycling on and off every few seconds.
Elmo's 81 Vanagon
82dABN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82dABN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 09 at 07:10

Just had a brilliant idea - one of those midnight streaks of ...   Smile

Now the thermo switch turns the fan on at 95F and off at 90F - A 5F temp spread.  Not as good as the 20F spread between the proper on at 124 degrees F and off at 104 degrees.

Will remove the Thermo switch and put a thin bit of gasket material/padding between the switch and the fin to provide a little 'insulation'.  That way the temp will have to go higher to trip the switch and the insulation should allow the 5F to become larger.. 

This should do until I get a proper switch at a decent price.

Elmo's 81 Vanagon
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 09 at 23:26
by irish.david 
Hi,

This isn't really an answer to the original question but given the title of the thread i thought it would fit in. I've recently pulled my Westy's Electrolux RM184 out with the aim of fixing it up a bit. Assuming the all the mechanics are basically ok and the fridge is level I read on an american site that the main reason for poor performance is the lack of ventilation around the heat transfer surfaces like the condensor on the back and the heat exchanger that actually does the cooling inside the fridge.

When i pulled my fridge out the fan mounted on the back under the condensors was totally seized, but even if it hadn't been it was getting replaced. The motor was an old 1970's DC brushed motor and DC motors have come on a lot in 30 years. I replaced it with 2 x 80mm 12V brushless PC cooling fans. Both have a much higher cfm (airflow) than the original as well as drawing significantly less current and being much quieter. I just wired them in parallel with the original thermostat, which still worked. A pic of this is shown below.

Next i drilled a hole in the back of the fridge just above the heat exchanger and ran a couple of wires through. I glued 2 x 50mm 12v brushless PC fans to the top of the right side of the heat exchanger and connected them in parallel with the cables going through the hole. I wired the fans to a switch i mounted on the front of the fridge, and finally filled the hole with a silicone sealant.

Edited by Joker_Club - 24 Aug 09 at 23:26
Sunny Lancs
82dABN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82dABN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 09 at 00:40
>  .. wired the fans to a switch i mounted on the front of the fridge.. <
Think I will do the same, except with a three way switch:  both (inside and outside refer fans) ON - OFF - outside-fan ON.  That way I can manually control the OS Fan if necessary.

Still looking for a source for that little blue (on your electrolux) 'thermo switch' for less than $80US.  Will start contacting refridgeration shops, next.

Phil
Elmo's 81 Vanagon
Breiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 09 at 13:51
Re the rather expensive replacement for the thermo switch

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0331562A

will take you to RS spares which sell thermo switches wholesale. Even 25 will not cost eighty bucks
and you can sell the rest on ebay for a fiver each. Post if you do I'll buy a couple.

I fitted them to a number of devices around my boat, the Ford D engine wasn't fitted with a built in lost water alarm so I strapped one of these around the exhaust pipe just behind the water injector. Handy too for electric motors and indeed anywhere excess heat would signal imminent disaster.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>