The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

parked on a hill - wont start...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: parked on a hill - wont start...
    Posted: 27 Jun 09 at 16:13
every time i park facing uphill my van really strougles to start. 2.4td, and its fine the rest of the time... any ideas?
"LT Massive"
66 joker View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66 joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 09 at 20:09
Park downhillTongue
T4 Westfalia Exclusive.Tdi LT work van..

mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 09 at 20:19
I was resisting the urge to suggest that!LOL

Does it help at all if the tank is full? As it sounds like the pump may be struggling to draw the fuel up perhaps.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 09 at 02:40
lol yeah, been parking pointing down hill for a while now...

tank was full when it did it earlier today, so cant be that.
"LT Massive"
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 09 at 08:08
check the diesel lines , sounds like you have a bled down issue
if one of the lines isnt connected tight enough then parking up hill will allow the fuel to run back to the tank ,
check the bango's as well
LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 09 at 17:55
good thinking :) will check it out.
"LT Massive"
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 09 at 17:31

to be honest mate, the fuel tank's in the back and the engine's in the front... mine does the same thing sometimes; its probably the fuel running back down the line into the tank.

worth also checking the return pipes that go between the injectors as if one of these isn't sealing, air leaks in and it buggers the pressurisedness of the system :)
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 09 at 22:29
Ive had 3 LTs that where the same downhill ok uphill took lots of cranking to start.I tried alsorts to cure it and never came up with an answer so I just parked downhill I think this is Whats called Character!!!!!!
2.4 td high top home conversion And2.4td LWB high top van
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 09 at 22:53
The other option would be to fit a mechanical lift (priming) pump between the fuel tank and the engine - so you could pull the fuel up 'by hand' before cranking - this would work quite well in the LT as the engine bay is so accessable from the cab.
mr. rusty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mr. rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 09 at 00:18
My LT35 had a similar problem facing uphill on my driveway, flattening the battery before starting could be achieved.  While trying to cure a fuel 'runback' problem, I renewed a section of fuel pipe and piped from the tank directly to the fuel filter on the engine block, bypassing the external one beside the nearside front wheel, and starting (and performance) has been better ever since. Try checking for a slightly loose or split pipe whicl may be allowing a tiny amount of air in the system, allowing an airlock to build when stood, or fit a 'non - return valve' between the line from the tank and your fuel filter. My LT40 came fitted with a valve, so I assume runback may be a recurring LT problem. Hope this helps.
mat_the_cat View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mat_the_cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 09 at 13:14
Originally posted by icky icky wrote:

The other option would be to fit a mechanical lift (priming) pump between the fuel tank and the engine

Something like the little rubber bulb arrangement do you mean? If so then a good scrapyard source would be Peugeots and french filths fitted with the XUD engine, as a lot of them came with the rubber priming bulb to prime the system after a fuel filter change or running out of fuel.
Mid engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 2 seater - it can only be a VW LT!
mikebdomain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 10 at 12:14
I had the same pronlem - it was cured after after a service - the mechanic reckon checking the belt timing solved it...
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
chiselgod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chiselgod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 10 at 00:34

mine was very slow to start for a while . checked  my heater plugs they were grand.. so i got a lad to do the timing belt... worked fine after that.. i don't think thats the problem in this case though.. id be inclined to go with a small air leak

Post Reply Post Reply