The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parking Sensors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parking Sensors
    Posted: 29 May 09 at 23:45
Howdy all

I have just became the proud owner of a 174PS T5 which I will be picking up at the start of the week. I have just sold a Vito which was disintegrating with rust! Never again - lesson learned!

As I am woeful at parking I had considered "cheating" and getting some fancy parking sensors

Has anyone any expierence of using/fitting these?

I cant deciede whether to buy a set of 4 (rear only), 6 (2 front + 4 rear), or 8 (4 front + 4 rear)? Any ideas?

Will these work with the towbar at the rear or will it affect the operation?

I had considered Veba (heard good things about them) and Dolphin (because they come pre painted to match my colour coded bumpers)

Thanks in advance!
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
matsvan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matsvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 09 at 09:48
i was in halfords two days ago and they have on of these fancy stereo dvd players that pops out of the dash. its on offer for 200 quid. for an extra 70 quid you can add a very small camera to it that you can mount on the back. if you had a spoiler it would hide it perfectly.
i say this because i am under the impression that sensors cost about 140 to have done right and a camera would be so much better and it has a dvd player! genius 
My dad swears by French cars but they keep breaking down. Asked what the best cars he ever had were, he replied "The old Passat, the two MK2 Golfs, the Audi Quattro and the Princess"? Kombi 130 SWB
gason View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 09 at 11:04
i had mine done at the stealers when i got the alarm put on i think it was around £120 and that was for 4 that are not the exact same colour but they do the biz
Ex-car bloke View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ex-car bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 09 at 12:31
On the tow bar question, I can speak about VW OEM reversing sensors.  When the towbar is in use (ie plugged in) the reversing sensor warning sound is disabled.  When the towbar electrics are not connected they work fine.  I have a swan neck type of hook which may help in this respect.

Edited by Ex-car bloke - 30 May 09 at 12:31
ECB           2006 SWB 174 window van
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 09 at 22:04
Camera is so much better, i have mine mounted under the number plate light plastic strip thingy and its the bees! do you have a hatch or barn doors? windowed or not?
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 09 at 01:06
Originally posted by blackvanman blackvanman wrote:

Camera is so much better, i have mine mounted under the number plate light plastic strip thingy and its the bees! do you have a hatch or barn doors? windowed or not?

I have glazed barn doors, I had considered a camera - what one do you have and what do you view it on?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 09 at 08:08
mine is a kenwood camera with kenwood dnx7200 double din touchscreen head unit. there are however cheaper ways to do it. i have a solid rear hatch but have fitted another camera inside the vw badge which gives me a virtual rear view mirror with a tft mirror monitor but that would be unneccessary for you.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 09 at 08:11
if i could work out how to get pictures onto photobucket from my mac then i would gladly illustrate my installation!!Cry
Fifty pence View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fifty pence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 09 at 21:59
I fitted the Dolphin sensor kit with no problems at all. ( took about an hour ).
The kit comes with wedge spacers to lift the angle of the sensor due to the bumper being quite low.
I,ve got on really well with mine and, if correctly spaced, dont pick up the tow bar.
I fitted a switch in the buzzer feed so I can dissable them when towing.

£ 50 wel spent.

I also fitted a small reversing camera looking down over the tow hitch which I linked up to a 2.5" lcd monitor near the rear view mirror. ( makes hitching up a doddle !)

All the components you need are easily available on tinternet pretty cheaply.

NOW GO AND DRILL SOME HOLES IN YER VAN !!!!!.

2002 Discovery TD5
2007 Vivaro 2.0 CTDI
2004 T5 front bumper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 09 at 22:10
Originally posted by Fifty pence Fifty pence wrote:

I fitted the Dolphin sensor kit with no problems at all. ( took about an hour ).
The kit comes with wedge spacers to lift the angle of the sensor due to the bumper being quite low.
I,ve got on really well with mine and, if correctly spaced, dont pick up the tow bar.
I fitted a switch in the buzzer feed so I can dissable them when towing.

£ 50 wel spent.

I also fitted a small reversing camera looking down over the tow hitch which I linked up to a 2.5" lcd monitor near the rear view mirror. ( makes hitching up a doddle !)

All the components you need are easily available on tinternet pretty cheaply.

NOW GO AND DRILL SOME HOLES IN YER VAN !!!!!.

I`m thinking of going the Dolphin route mainly because they are already painted

The switch to disconnect when towing is a good idea

How did you find the quality of the Dolphins?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fifty pence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 09 at 22:25
Couldnt fault them. The silver they were painted was a really good match for my bumper.

Instructions were simple and the drill bit included.

I,ve given them a real good testing and they dont leave me with any " blind " spots.

You just have to make sure when fitting them in a low bumper, that the dont pick up the ground. ( hence the wedges ).

2002 Discovery TD5
2007 Vivaro 2.0 CTDI
2004 T5 front bumper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fifty pence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 09 at 22:27
The other thing I did was to " spy " a van with factory fitted sensors, and put mine in exactly the same place.

2002 Discovery TD5
2007 Vivaro 2.0 CTDI
2004 T5 front bumper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 09 at 12:16
Does anyone know what brand VW install if installed from new?

I think it might be Valeo - can anyone confirm this?
Fast[Plumber View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fast[Plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 09 at 20:30
VW after market accessories are Cobra
Work really well
T30 174 SWB.
Raven Blue,new Sportlines.
Im the one with the silly smile when Driving!
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 09 at 21:43
After much searching I`ve settled on a set of these:

Supposedly good quality and the blue display to match the dash was the clincher..............!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fast[Plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 09 at 22:45
Had steelmate sensors fitted when my van was damaged.The garage that did the repair fitted then instead of the vw ones and to be honest they were shite!
Wouldnt pick up the gate posts at the end of my drive, and in the instructions it said 'caution may not detect round or smooth objects!!!'   
T30 174 SWB.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 09 at 23:12
Originally posted by Fast[Plumber Fast[Plumber wrote:

Had steelmate sensors fitted when my van was damaged.The garage that did the repair fitted then instead of the vw ones and to be honest they were shite!
Wouldnt pick up the gate posts at the end of my drive, and in the instructions it said 'caution may not detect round or smooth objects!!!'   

Hmmm, you`re the first person who I have heard saying anything negative about Steelmate but as you tried them and found that they were shite I will certainly take your expierence onboard

With this in mind I think I will plug them together and hold them in place to see how sensitive they are - if I aint impressed then back they go!

What did you end up with (I assume you had the Steelmates removed)?
gason View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 09 at 18:54
i think mine are cobra i have had no issues with them in over 2 years
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fast[Plumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 09 at 21:08
In the end the garage agreed to fit the VW ones, or cobra if you prefer, but you dont get the cool display
T30 174 SWB.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 09 at 21:10
Originally posted by Fast[Plumber Fast[Plumber wrote:

In the end the garage agreed to fit the VW ones, or cobra if you prefer, but you dont get the cool display

The cool display is what attracted me if I`m honest...............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>