The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AAZ - Which Gearbox

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AAZ - Which Gearbox
    Posted: 24 May 09 at 06:36
Hello,
I'm in the process of getting my newly aquired 1.6TD on the road, I bought it without a gearbox so need to source a replacement.

Bearing in mind that at a later date I will probably covert to 1.9TD (AAZ) what's the best gearbox to go for.

My research on brick-yard has concluded that I should go for an AAP, although the final drive ratio isn't much different to the 1.6TD 3H so that would probably be OK.

Can someone please confirm I'm on the right track.

Cheers.

Nugget
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 09 at 08:49
AAP is better, it does make a difference over the 3H / ASS that come as standard on the TD's
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 09 at 11:00
AAP is a very easy and proven 'upgrade'.  Our 5 speed (we've got a JX motor too) was jumping out of 2nd, so I got an AAP from CJ at Syncrospares.

Makes hell of a difference on crusiing ability.

Go for it   Big smile  You'll just need to get your hands on a diesel input shaft to swop onto the AAP (easy job - nowhere as scary as it sounds)
Back in the slow lane, yeah!
bayvelle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bayvelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 09 at 12:33
You will also need a Diesel bellhousing to go on, if your AAP etc still has the petrol one fitted.
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 09 at 16:09
so you need to get a diesel box aswell, in order to make the aap fit. If you see a good 3H get it! aap's are quite rare and can be very expensive to buy. £300 for a good 3H(the correct box), or £500 for a s/h aap, upto £800 for a recon.  Then you still need to swap the diesel stuff onto it. I would choose a nice set of alloys instead and put some slightly bigger tyres on. Not that you would need to make any chnges with the JX anyway. If you have time and money aap is a great way to go.
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 09 at 18:48
Originally posted by bayvelle bayvelle wrote:

You will also need a Diesel bellhousing to go on, if your AAP etc still has the petrol one fitted.

Oh aye Embarrassed forgot about that!

I was assuming you had a gearbox already, which of course you aint!

We fitted the AAP, and we're about to up the tyre size on the back to make the rolling radius about 3-4% bigger than standard.

We'll see how it goes!
Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Nugget View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 09 at 21:24
Top advice, I'm really glad I asked as that has saved a shed load of grief and extra expense, 3H all the way for me.

Cheers,

Nugget
 Post Reply Post Reply