The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Surf Keys

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surf Keys
    Posted: 19 May 09 at 23:31
Just to say anyone in Cornwall who wants a non-chipped key can get it for a tenner at the key place in Newquay near what was Somerfield.  By the time you get there it will be a Sainsburys!  I bought one of these keys last week and it's fine to open the door with but of course it won't start the engine. 

You have to use the remote of the real key within ten seconds otherwise the alarm goes off as a few of you mentioned to me a while back Smile
2004 2.5 174
Woebetide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woebetide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 09 at 21:03
New vans are now supplied with 1 remote and standard key. This key has a chip clipped inside a crap two piece plastic vw fob .I filled the hollow fob with silicone to protect the chip from salt water and to keep the shit thing together.Its now on a line around my neck when its not in the ignition.I never use the remote now and the vans always locked when i return to it.This wasnt always true with the remote what with kids in the house and being stuffed in a pocket of loose change.One thing though when entering the van by the side door if its closed it locks with you inside and you cannot get out.Not good if its got a full bulkhead and no windows!
12 T30 140 LWB 4 MOTION
Woebetide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woebetide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 09 at 21:27
 I suppose that a remote key with a dead battery would manually open a door and still start the motor.I never knew that,always assumed a dead key meant catching a bus.
12 T30 140 LWB 4 MOTION
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 09 at 04:00
Originally posted by Woebetide Woebetide wrote:

I suppose that a remote key with a dead battery would manually open a door and still start the motor.I never knew that,always assumed a dead key meant catching a bus.

That's correct, the remote half of the key fob (the bit with the buttons) only locks/unlocks remotely, while the key blade operates the "ignition" switch and the rfid/transponder (immobiliser chip) allows the engine to keep running.  When people refer to a "dead key" they usually mean a key without an rfid - this will manually lock or unlock the van, but the engine won't keep running (it will start, but cuts out after 2 secs or so with an immobilser error)
crispycritter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 09 at 08:09
I normally just pull the key apart and take the blade with me if im going to get wet or shitty. Leave the buttons on the van...
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 09 at 08:31
Originally posted by Woebetide Woebetide wrote:

One thing though when entering the van by the side door if its closed it locks with you inside and you cannot get out.Not good if its got a full bulkhead and no windows!

So they still haven't sorted that out?  I though that auto-relocking feature had been deleted on the later vans.  I'd love to get rid of it on my van.  Scary thought being double locked inside if you just got in there to get changed or something!  Shocked  It does happen too.  ZZ once had to climb out of his driver's window and plummet to the ground Ouch  when he got locked in.  Luckily he has manual windows so at least he could open them to escape.
2004 2.5 174
matsvan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matsvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 09 at 22:16
why dont you just get a key padlock thingy ma jig. attach it to your suspension spring rather then the rear tow eye though! you dont have to take the key then.
never had any issues and dont know any whose had issues either.....actually thats a lie. I once put the key inside the boot of my golf whilst getting changed, having taken it out of the lock,  my mate shut the boot and the auto lock kicked in before we realised. but that could happen to anyone in any circs. there was plenty of AA vans in saunton car park at the time....shame none of them were still in commision!!! that was a hell of wait and my hoddie was inside. least i had my shorts on by then!
My dad swears by French cars but they keep breaking down. Asked what the best cars he ever had were, he replied "The old Passat, the two MK2 Golfs, the Audi Quattro and the Princess"? Kombi 130 SWB
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 09 at 22:52

Yes they look pretty good.  You are right about the towing eye- in full view it looks far too tempting to some scroat with a crow bar!

2004 2.5 174
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 09 at 10:37
Quote matsvan < why dont you just get a key padlock thingy ma jig. > hmm, that`s how I got locked in. Put the key in the Masterlock and got in the back, slamming the tailgate. Just getting into my wetsuit when Click Clonk Click ! I`m locked in with the key outside. and nowt would open, nothing.
Just imagine that happening on a deserted beach up where ecb lives, in a van with a bulkhead and no windows in the back. You`d starve to death waiting for a passing dog walker or fisherman to happen by, and what are the chances of them comprehending your muted shouts for help? probably put it down to spirited nooky and go on thier way, leaving you with a mobile that coudn`t get a signal, a full bladder ( or worse ) and all your tools back in the garage at home `cos you were going surfing and wouldn`t need `em.
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
Digs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 09 at 13:09
Or you could go surfing on your own bang your head when you fall off and not get the help you need for hours and hours....

Better to go with a friend and talk about a sh1t day than not being able to tell your friend about a great day...
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 09 at 15:35
 Oh hello, Elf n` safety are in ! bang your head? what on? anyway, my hypothetical scenario has our luckless surfer locked in his van, he won`t be going surfing today.
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
Digs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 09 at 15:49
Originally posted by zedzedeleven zedzedeleven wrote:

Oh hello, Elf n` safety are in ! bang your head? what on? anyway, my hypothetical scenario has our luckless surfer locked in his van, he won`t be going surfing today.
You have a big frigging board you're standing on... I take it it's not made of cheese...

He may of got locked in after he'd surfed.... In which case he hasn't banged his head, been sucked out to sea, broke his leg while getting to the beach, or taken under by a giant Kraken...
Either way, he's lucky to only be stuck in his van.... SmileTongue
 Post Reply Post Reply