The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 Lowering, how low / Cost ? etc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 Lowering, how low / Cost ? etc
    Posted: 06 May 09 at 19:17

What are your views on lowering;

How much does it effect the ride comfort / handling ?
How low should you go ?
Costs involved ?
Should you get the work done at a main dealer ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Paul.
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 09 at 21:36
Had mine done at VW stealer with eibach springs, the ones they use on sportline which lowers it by 30mm. it was a bit expensive and with hindsight wish i'd waited and gone for at least 40mm as 30mm doesn't make much difference to the appearance of the van. 
jef_mp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jef_mp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 09 at 22:23
Think i'd second that, also had mine dropped by 30mm with eibach springs but think it would have looked better with 40mm.  Didn't see a huge change at the start but was told that it should settle over time - don't know if that's true or not though

Paid £200 for the springs and had them fitted locally (not a dealer) for £100

I think that the lowering has improved the handling but did add 18" wheels at the same time so imagine the improvement was a combination of both.

Some of my passengers have complained about the ride quality (but don't really care what they think because it's my van!) - personally think you can feel it on poor quality roads and over big pot-holes but other than that its fine
Tony M View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Whine Merchant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 09 at 22:52
If you've got the dosh, try these....   http://www.orange-tuning.de/shop/coilover-4080mm-p-1631.html

Edited by Tony M - 10 May 09 at 12:08
Poo IS funny.
T5wob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5wob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 09 at 06:26
had eback springs on for a year going to coilovers this week H and £1532.00 H R ones £150 to have fitted.
got them from jeff here http://www.rdcracing.myby.co.uk

Edited by T5wob - 17 May 09 at 17:52
Kerb$ide Ku$tom
Tony M View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Whine Merchant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 09 at 12:09
Originally posted by T5wob T5wob wrote:

had eback springs on for a year going to coilovers this week £1400 hand r ones £150 to have fitted.
got them from jeff here http://www.rdcracing.myby.co.uk

Make sure you post a pic of the lowness, and let us know how it handles.
Poo IS funny.
T5wob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5wob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 09 at 12:28
i will do cant wait to get in done now .Wink

Edited by T5wob - 10 May 09 at 12:29
Kerb$ide Ku$tom
T5wob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5wob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 09 at 15:39

Kerb$ide Ku$tom
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 09 at 19:15
That looks grrrreat! How do you adjust the height? It looks like it's lowered by 60-70mm there? Clap
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
T5wob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5wob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 09 at 19:32
front is down as far as can go back still has 20mm left to turn down .was done in a garage braunton bosh centre . frist time they have done coilovers took about 5 hrs to do i did help  just to see how it all works .not a job to do on the drive way .i just cant beleave what a soft ride it is after the 40mm eback springs i had on befor .yes i have 4 springs to sale and the struts .Big smileo and was fun getting the ramp jacks down with the van sat on it .AngrySPRINGS SOLD NOW Wink

Edited by T5wob - 28 May 09 at 07:27
Kerb$ide Ku$tom
abogas View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 09 at 16:03
Looks amazing, would you say it takes ride comfort back to standard levels despite the big alloys, they 20'' im guessing? Just out of interest what are they off, aint seen many like those? Wish my velle looked so schweeet!!
Mike_T5 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_T5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 09 at 16:28
This, I like!!! T5WOB... give us all a more descriptive review of what you think? Also, any chance of a pic of how the coilover install looks at the back?

Also, was that £1400 including vat? 
04 reg T30 174ps, raven blue. AmD 205bhp remap since new, lowered, ABT AR19 alloys, modded to excess :-)
'03 E46 M3 Avus Blue, Champagne leather, but not pampered like the van ;-)
T5wob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5wob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 09 at 16:50
Originally posted by abogas abogas wrote:

Looks amazing, would you say it takes ride comfort back to standard levels despite the big alloys, they 20'' im guessing? Just out of interest what are they off, aint seen many like those? Wish my velle looked so schweeet!!

thats for you reply .wheels 19inc 8x19" - MB Design - etabeta Bestellsystem

Kerb$ide Ku$tom
T5wob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5wob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 09 at 16:56
Originally posted by Mike_T5 Mike_T5 wrote:

This, I like!!! T5WOB... give us all a more descriptive review of what you think? Also, any chance of a pic of how the coilover install looks at the back?

Also, was that  includ£1532.00 ing vat? 
cost was  with v£1532.00 at .give jeff aring  for price .rdc_2008 template
will put rear pick up soon .the ride i just cant beleave its a lowerd bus .had H+R  on my t4 was a ok ride .but this ride like a hoover board .had eiback springs  befor .hard ish ride to this set up .

Edited by T5wob - 17 May 09 at 17:53
Kerb$ide Ku$tom
jeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 09 at 17:31
Don't lets all get excited about the price. I let Martin have these at mates rates as i have known him for a few years now. Retail price is around £1532.00 at this moment in time as it keeps changing due to exchange rate and carrage.
T5wob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5wob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 09 at 17:41

Edited by T5wob - 17 May 09 at 17:50
Kerb$ide Ku$tom
Mike_T5 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_T5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 09 at 17:54
Now that is interesting!!! I wanted to see the pics on the back, because I was concerned that being a coilover would put stress upon the shockmounts and bushes. But, it seems that it is in fact a different spring, with adjustable platform? Looks very good, and reassuring to see it's not actually a coilover! :)

Thanks for posting that!
04 reg T30 174ps, raven blue. AmD 205bhp remap since new, lowered, ABT AR19 alloys, modded to excess :-)
Mike_T5 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_T5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 09 at 18:00
Shame about the price being edited :-( Never mind. 
T5wob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5wob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 09 at 18:25
Originally posted by jeff jeff wrote:

Don't lets all get excited about the price. I let Martin have these at mates rates as i have known him for a few years now. Retail price is around £1532.00 at this moment in time as it keeps changing due to exchange rate and carrage.
HAVE ajusted £ thanks .b£1532.00 big thanks jeff .
Kerb$ide Ku$tom
T5wob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5wob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 09 at 18:26
Originally posted by Mike_T5 Mike_T5 wrote:

Shame about the price being edited :-( Never mind. 
.sorry about that jeff done mates rate .but would still pay full for such a nice ride ClapClapClapClapClapClap
Kerb$ide Ku$tom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>