The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2.1 dj ..idle stabilization unit.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.1 dj ..idle stabilization unit.
    Posted: 30 Apr 09 at 22:18
im wondering if anybody has had any issues ,resulting from malfunctions of this little bugger...

the reason i ask is ,
i had  recurring breakdowns at the end of last year with my 2.1 dj velle .
the van would drive for about ten minutes before completely losing power and dying to a rough idle of 300rpm , pressing the throttle would do nothing ,although the van would start first turn of the key back to the low idle.
after about an hour the van would restart as normal and be fine for another ten minutes or so.
anyway ,last time it left me stranded i called a mate, who suggested plugging the two wires from this idle control unit together .the van fired up as good as gold and got me home without a problem ,i took it off the road for the winter after that .until yesterday.
ive done about 100 miles in the last two days and its been fine ,although the idle is a little erratic and it seems a little sluggish (i might be imagining this).

so could this unit be the cause of my mystery breakdowns and will i do the engine any harm by leaving it bypassed .
cheers
dazz

itchyfeet View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 09 at 08:14
I think it is common, try a search on stabilisation instead
88 DG LPG Tin Top
MP View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 09 at 11:05
When I bought my van, (with a 2.1wbx) the two plugs were connected bypassing the device and idle was a bit lumpy.  I plugged it in correctly and it ran fine for a while but would not re-start. Bypassed again and started ok. Bought a new one (at great expense) from JK and it has been fine ever since.

So based on my experience it sounds like the idle stabilization device but before coughing up (£75?) you could borrow one from someone to check...

Good luck
Past vans - 1989 Ex-Swedish 16" Syncro & 2010 T5 GP 102
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 09 at 11:23
on the aircolds I have owned I used to bypass it all the time..  idle was erratic when cold, but start up, roll a fag, smoke it, then set off on journey!
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
crewie View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crewie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 09 at 17:31
Originally posted by itchyfeet itchyfeet wrote:

I think it is common, try a search on stabilisation instead

bloody americanyified spell checker lol.

been using it again today and all is well,i was just a little concerned that it may be doing harm by leaving it bypassed like that,i didnt know if it affected mixture or ignition timing when off the idle circuit,the last thing i want is it running lean and killing the engine.
Bluestar Bird View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluestar Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 09 at 09:23
where is the idle stabilisation unit to be found so i can try plugging the wires together? Mine exhibiting these problems!!

Edited by Bluestar Bird - 06 May 09 at 09:32
My other car is a van!!
Big red bus View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big red bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 09 at 14:31
That unit shown is not the idle stab unit. That is the HALL sender for the distributor. This will fail and give the syptons you descride. Fine when cold then once wran will run but only about 400 rpm and will not rev or do anything. That will be because the hall sender has failed and once cool will run faultlessly. Idl;e stab unit is behind the o/s/r lamp. Not really cmmon for playing up in my experience. HAve you tried cleaning the idle control valve out. LArge cylinder shape on the top of the inlet manifold with a couple of pipes to it and a multi plug. These are common for playing up on mk2 golfs and alike and use the same unit.
Gecko View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 09 at 16:31
I had the same problem a year or so back, spent plenty of pounds in the local garage, checking cleaning and eventually buying a ECU, Stabilising unit and various other bits, the by pass didn't work for me on my 2.1 DJ and at the point of giving up I changed the Coil and the little baby has been perfect ever since.

After new leads, plugs, filters, replacement ECU, ISU etc it turned out to be a dodgy coil which would cut the engine every ten or twenty miles or so, start up easy and then do it again, bloomin annoying but now resolved. Good luck with it.

JT
Ziegel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ziegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 09 at 20:23
Quote That unit shown is not the idle stab unit.

Yes it is

Quote That is the HALL sender for the distributor.

No it isn't! LOL

Hall generator is shown here: http://www.justkampers.com/shop/type_25/type-25-original-vehicle-parts/ignition-system/electronic-ignition/ignition-switch-unit-relay-t-c-i.html

Both Idle Stab unit and Hall generator are located on the bodywork near to the coil, and should be joned to the coil with a y shaped set of cables.

Both go wrong, but the Idle Stab unit goes wrong more often.

Idle Stab Valve and it's control relay (Usually located behind the OS rear light) also go wrong.
As do coils.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluestar Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 09 at 09:45
I just can't find the flipping thing, (Idle Stabilization Unit) and I have not long replaced the coil, maybe I'll swap it back??

Do I need to go under the van to find it, or should I be able to see it from inside the engine bay.

Sorry I know I'm a pain!  Also, do all models have them??

Naomi
My other car is a van!!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluestar Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 09 at 10:03
My van stalled this morning and I had to wait quite a while to get it to start again, (it was turning over but not firing) then almost at work it started stuttering and the revs dropping, I just managed to keep it going to work.
Nightmare, could be compression problems or this idle thing.  Does anyone agree? Or have any other ideas?

I just want to find out where the idel unit is as I can't seem to see it.

Cheers
My other car is a van!!
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 09 at 10:16
you may not have one...  can you see two long-ish (2 inches?) black plugs that are plugged together??  unit should be mounted on the LHS of the engine bay wall, just below the lip of the cover IIRC
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluestar Bird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 09 at 11:25

I'll have a look when I go out at lunch time!

Cheers
Naomi

Edited by Bluestar Bird - 07 May 09 at 11:26
My other car is a van!!
 Post Reply Post Reply