The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2.1 Dj Smoking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2.1 Dj Smoking
    Posted: 26 Apr 09 at 23:09
Been in the process of rebuilding 2.1 Dj, new rings and seals all round, liners were de glazed.

Engine is back in and running. Sounds a little tappety tho.  I have set the tappets, but in doing so found two of the valves were tight against the rocker arm offering no free play. My concern is are the valves therefore not closing on that cylinder casuing loss of compression ?

I have today, given it a bit of throttle on a nice 20 mile run and the tappety noise has become more evident and I now have blackish smoke coming out of the exhaust. 

Any advice ?

Thought I'd add, oil light comes on (flashing) after a period of driving, say 10 or so minutes too

Edited by Surfrider - 26 Apr 09 at 23:21
I BOOKED MY TICKET TO HELL ALONG TIME AGO.
neil e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 09 at 15:46
Sounds to me initially when you rebuilt the engine  the push rods maybe wern't seated properly into the hydraulic lifter,
they can be a pain in the backside to keep seated when you fit the rocker shaft.

This causes them to sit higher than they should, when you preload you hydraulic lifters by turning the adjuster it just ends up opening the valve instead,
because the push rod is not sitting on the compressable part of the hydraulic lifter

I'm not sure if, or what damage this may do to an engine when run in this condition, if this is what has happened.

Maybe remove rocker covers, check pushrods are seating correctly, correctly preload lifters (1 1/2 to 2 turns on the adjuster) refit rocker cover and give it a try

Edited by neil e - 27 Apr 09 at 15:50
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 09 at 18:41
black smoke is prob unburnt fuel andrew.

it may be worth checking the wiring on the senders again....
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Surfrider View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 09 at 00:08
Originally posted by neil e neil e wrote:

Sounds to me initially when you rebuilt the engine  the push rods maybe wern't seated properly into the hydraulic lifter,
they can be a pain in the backside to keep seated when you fit the rocker shaft.

This causes them to sit higher than they should, when you preload you hydraulic lifters by turning the adjuster it just ends up opening the valve instead,
because the push rod is not sitting on the compressable part of the hydraulic lifter

I'm not sure if, or what damage this may do to an engine when run in this condition, if this is what has happened.

Maybe remove rocker covers, check pushrods are seating correctly, correctly preload lifters (1 1/2 to 2 turns on the adjuster) refit rocker cover and give it a try

After the initial set up, I ran the engine for about 8 miles, wasn't happy, removed the rocker because I was unhappy with the valve position. The above post was following another 8 mile run. It became progressively noisy during that 8 miles resulting in it smoking.

I will remove and attempt to reseat the push rods to check, your right tho its a twat of a fiddly job.
Surfrider View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 09 at 00:10
Originally posted by jason k jason k wrote:

black smoke is prob unburnt fuel andrew.

it may be worth checking the wiring on the senders again....

I hope its that simple, I will switch them over and try again.
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 09 at 08:00
blue smoke is oil, white is water , black is excessive mixture. keep us posted fella.
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Surfrider View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 09 at 10:44
Have this morning, rechecked the rockers. Needless to say they are all over the shop. So obviously a seating issue. I have now reseated them again. Will toot of on a 10 or so mile run and when I return will check them again. Van runs much better, no black smoke but a little bit of blue now. 
neil e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neil e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 09 at 11:38

at least it's running better now, hopefully after a run the little bit of blue smoke will stop.

Let us know how you get onThumbs Up

Edited by neil e - 29 Apr 09 at 11:39
 Post Reply Post Reply