The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

supension rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bushbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: supension rubbers
    Posted: 26 Apr 09 at 16:37
Well managed to do some work on the van on friday so got the old supension rubbers off the back axle, it took a bit of work as the bolts were well stuck.  Thanks to Mr French i fitted the new ones.  Now these are a little bigger so when i dropped the van back down they made the van sit higher as they are taking most to the weight, well some of the weight.

Now what i would like to know is should these be taking weight on them or are they just there as like a stopper when the van rolls over going round corners??  And as the mountings for these rubbers are only welded to the body frame will they be to heavy??  The van has a lean to one side, due i hope to the fact that the oven, fridge, gas, hobs, bed and water tank are on one side, so one of the leaf springs sits open now that its higher.

VW must have made them this long for a reason and as my van is heavy im hoping it makes it stiffer.
Any ideas?

Thanks

T
1985 LT31 LWB 2.4D, Diamond RV custom conversion, with all the whistles and bangs!!
heckmotor View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heckmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 09 at 10:56
Just spotted your suspension thread, after signing up to this forum.

Others may have different views, but I'd suspect that your springs are past their sell-by date. A big van shouldn't lean to one side just because of the items you've listed, and I don't think the rubbers should be in contact at rest.

My first Westfalia Florida, a 1989 LT28, had a very jiggly ride that made it quite a tiring long-distance experience. Before selling it on I had its newer replacement, a 1994 LT31, on the drive or comparison, and noted that the conical rubber helpers on the front were always in contact with the springs on the older van, but not on the newer one ...so it was no surprise that the newer van's ride was far smoother.

I think that if your rubbers are always touching the springs, you'll feel every bit of grit on the road. Time for fresh springs?
rockradio View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockradio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 09 at 11:26
Not sure if this might help, but I'll post it anyway for comparison.

My van has very stiff suspension. It sits high enough off the ground for me to get easily under almost every part of the van without lifting it. I think I could just about slight under the diff. The van does not move at all when I get in it. If I jump up and down inside it just starts to move a little, but only just noticeable. Impossible to get it to sway side to side by moving body weight inside and I am 15 stone. My rear leaf springs (I have coils at front) are flat. I wasn't sure if this was ok when I first got the van, but think most are like it with all the weight from the furniture etc. I presume they would bow upwards if it was a totally empty box van, but mine are permanently flat. The rubber end stops have lots of clearance on my van. Can't remember how much but at least a few inches. I'll check next time I'm under there. Just gone and had a look and mine have at least 4 inches clear space.

Edited by rockradio - 11 May 09 at 11:30
LT35 camper 1987 2.4 litre 6 pot diesel, DW engine, no turbo, no PAS.
P6ULO View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P6ULO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 09 at 17:14
Yours could be more rigid (Ooo er matron!!!) because its an LT35, i.e. has a greater carrying capacity and therefore (i presume) uprated springing?

Just a thought

Regards

Paul
1990 LT 31 Florida 2.4 TD Intercooled.
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 09 at 09:48
You should try a 45 my first LT was absolutely solid but was great in cross winds, my current 35 wanders a bitin high winds unless I fill the water tanks.
2.4 td high top home conversion And2.4td LWB high top van
jameshere View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jameshere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 09 at 15:55
Regarding the comment by Heckmotor about LT 28 front suspension sitting on the bump-stop rubbers: I had the same situation with my '89 LT31 Florida, and noticed that other LT's usually had 1/2" - 3/4" clearance to the rubber stop.
I remembered fitting what I can best describe as convoluted rubber springs as bump-stops to the rear of an Austin Healey Sprite many years ago, which went by the trade name of Aeon. Searching on the internet, I found to my surprise that a company with this name was now located in Toronto, Canada, and manufactured such items in a range of sizes and stiffnesses.  This was handy, as I live in Canada!
I chose a suitable item and bought a pair, with the idea of fitting them over the damper rods. In the UK we turned up a couple of spacer-seats in hard nylon which fitted onto the top of the dampers and located the bottom of the rubber unit. The rubbers fitted snugly into the spring upper housings (after a little grinding of the lower wishbone to permit entry). Short spacers on the bolts connecting the damper body to the lower wishbone controlled compression of the rubber spring and thererfore ride height, to give the desired clearance to the bump stop.
The Florida lost that droopy head-down look, ride was improved considerably, and I felt that the handling on curves was improved by the increased front end stiffness.

bushbandit View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bushbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 09 at 16:46
hi guys thanks for the replys.  Having a hard time with the van at the mo.  It failed its mot due to smoking to much.  So im racing to get it fixed in time as we are going away for the long wknd... well maybe!  I have to take time off work to get someone in tomorrow to tune it.  I really hope this works. 
Then ill have to take the rubbers off the rear axle and cut them down.
Reading what you all have said im not sure if my springs are buggerd or not.  The ride is good, it dosnt roll to much and me and my girlfriend can walk around inside the van without it moving, but we are only little.  I can also easyly slide round underneath the van too, but once again im only 9st

Just had a look at the van, the springs are flat at the back and curve down at the front and there is not gaps between the leafs springs.  I will take some pics as soon as i get the net working at home again.

The only good news iv had so far is that the testing station said its very solid underneath.

1985 LT31 LWB 2.4D, Diamond RV custom conversion, with all the whistles and bangs!!
 Post Reply Post Reply