FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRear Wheel bearings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Wheel bearings
    Posted: 20 Apr 09 at 20:37
Anyone know if rear wheel bearings need special tools to remove or not. How easy to do and any advice on best ones to get (genuine VW or other?)

T5 Caravelle 174 SE SWB

Thanks.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 09 at 21:38
Welcome NR Smile  What's the problem with them?  Noise?  Mine are fine so I haven't paid much attention to them but most rear wheel bearings these days will need a hydraulic press to press them out and press the new ones in.  Best to take it to your local Baxter....Big smile 
2004 2.5 174
normalrules View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 09 at 23:11
For a good few months now i have been having an ever increasing cyclic noise coming from the back end. The discs are becoming quite worn and i suspected it was the pads rubbing the sides of the disc. I just came back from a trip to Italyand the noise at 30-50 mph is now really loud so i jacked up the back and took both wheels off. I spun the discs with the calipers and pads attached by hand with no obvious noise. It was not until i took off the caliper and pads on the rear offside that i noticed spinning the disc alone manifested an internal grating on the inside of the hub. As the bearing is the only moving part i am assuming it it the bearing that is at fault - but only on the offside - the other is fine.
My van is a 53 and so is a first gen T5. It has done nearly 90k. i have no idea what the lifespan of the average wheel bearing is. I suppose they are like everything else machined - susseptible to fault and premature wear. VW have priced me £91 supply and £178 to supply and fit!

Dont suppose VW do bluemotion type (low  friction/resistance) bearings for T5 yet?
Heritagevancentre View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 09 at 08:03
Hi the bearing comes with the hub so it should be easy to attach, looking at the labour that you have been quoted, your looking about 1.5hours to do
Contact the van centre on 01373 855815 for all you needs , we dont just work for vw we also have a passion for them aswell , so give us a call , promotions on there way!!
normalrules View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 09 at 18:43
Having now made further enquiries at VW they say you need a special hydraulic puller to do the bearings. is this the case or is it stealer tactics to relieve me of my naive cash??
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 09 at 08:49

it definatly helps with a puller but it can be done without it, some come out easy some can be  a real pain

Contact the van centre on 01373 855815 for all you needs , we dont just work for vw we also have a passion for them aswell , so give us a call , promotions on there way!!
maxcool View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 09 at 16:57
So im told.... and Heritage may be able to confrim this but, t5 wheel bearings just dont fail. I do alot of work for VW and know many very well through it. Everyone i have spoke to on the matter say they just dont fail. I have only met one guy over the last 4 years who has ever had to change one and that was due to a crash.

Allowing the uk to be Max Cooled in style...
maxcool View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 09 at 17:00

Also normalrules, i have been conviced recently that mine were going despite the above comments, only due to bad droaning noises but had all checked out on service last week and all fit as a fiddle. Instead, they put it down to slight dis-figure in one of the tyre and also worn discs.  

Allowing the uk to be Max Cooled in style...
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 09 at 22:02

It's always hard to describe noises in words but to me the noise from a worn wheel bearing is more like a 'drone' or a low buzz.  Unless it's really bad you don't usually hear it at much below 30MPH.  The other thing you might notice is that it gets louder when you put weight on it, so if the driver's side wheel bearing is worn it will get noisier as you swing round left hand bends when the weight goes on to the driver's side.   The reverse is often true so you might notice the noise getting quieter on right hand bends.  Try jacking the van up and giving the wheel a good spin with a hand planted on any part of the suspension and then compare feel of each side as a guide. 

2004 2.5 174
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 09 at 07:24

true its worth checking the tyre pressures and the condition of the tyre for damage

gerryk View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 10 at 17:21
Sorry to drag up this old thread but was wondering if you managed to change the wheel bearing and did you need to use special pullers?I need to replace my rear bearing at next weekend.
Thanks

ozyboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 21:05
Hi Guys, looking for advice on this subject.
Diagnosed wheel bearings at fault, ordered a set of hubs c/w bearings for tomorrow.
got the caliper, caliper carrier, disc etc all off.  down to the hob....  as someone said earlier, i can see the inner race once the plastic oxy cover is removed from the inside..... (Maybe an easy syncro conversion, as the hub inner is splined),,,,Wink

Before, i get the pullers out, just want to make sure i am not missing anything, is this a pull the hub off complete, and push a new one on.....  Maybe it'll become clear when the parts land tomorrow.

so, if anyone has done it, please drop a few lines up to assist please. This new vw stuff is all a bit of a mistery to me yet.....

thanks

gerryk View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 21:57
Changed mine a few months ago.The rear plastic covers behind the hub were missing(never on it when I bought it)and I suspect water,salt entered the bearing causing it to wear.The bearing started making a droing noise which got louder.I also found a slight rock on the wheel when it was raised from the ground.

The bearing and hub comes as one piece.You will need to remove the rear wishbone and brake disk.The bearing can then to pressed out using a hydraulic press.Not an bad job,took about 3 hours.Check for wisbone bush wear.Might as well change then wishbone is out.
ozyboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 22:06
ah, that makes sense now.....  I wish i had realised, as its on the lift, sat on the wish bones....

I've been sat ere trying to think of a way to press then out insitu....  

Thanks for that, appreciate the early feedback....Embarrassed

Oz
gerryk View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 22:33
I'm sure there is a special puller tool that can wind out the bearing with the wishbone insitu but removing the wishbone is the cheaper option.

The rear and front bearings are the same part.

Edited by gerryk - 16 Aug 10 at 22:37
ozyboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 10 at 09:25
Thanks GerryK

Not a boad job..... if anyones interested...  time consuming. about 8 hours for the pair....

wheels off, caliper off, disc off, caliper mounting off, brake pipe on swinging arm off, antiroll bar off, then you down to business, Swinging arm, and spring can come out.....

Press out the old hub / bearing unit complete, and press in the replacement.

I did both at the same time, and on the initial test drive last night, a huge difference, the mrs will be able to hear the little darlings in the back....

Oh, nearly forgot, you need to remove 3 pieces of plastic trim from the underside, (may get away with 2, but this is a caravelle, so i'm not sure if Van have all this plastic underside....

Had to make up 2 x new brake pipes as the unions had become attached to the standard steel (plastic coated) pipe.

No time for piccies, as needed to be back on the road...

Hope that helps, not to be undertaken without a press to hand..... although the hubs didnt take much leaver swinging to get them out.:-)

Next job, Clutch, will have to wait a few weeks for that one.....Wink

Oz
 Post Reply Post Reply