The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

area for conversions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DelilahTheBus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DelilahTheBus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: area for conversions
    Posted: 02 Mar 20 at 23:17
Hey, amazed to see a response on this.

Van is all gutted out, rust exposed and once the nicer weather shows its face then it will be full steam ahead with kitting it out

Should I follow on from this thread with progress. Highly doubt it but would be nice for the previous owner to see it one day

rossfromfriends View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossfromfriends Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 19 at 19:59
I thought I recognised this thread, 10 years later and I still haven’t uploaded interior shots as promised!

Got two kids now and the LT has turned into Daddy’s mobile man cave.  Only 2 belts and a double bed.  
DelilahTheBus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DelilahTheBus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 19 at 16:06
Can see that Rockradio hasnt been active since 2014.

I have just bought a VW LT 35 and was seraching the forums for conversion posts. Come to realise i have bought the one photo'd in this thread.

Sadly the owners between me and Rockradio didnt treat the van too well, but its should you ever return to this thread, rest assured the van is in good hands now. 
bushbandit View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bushbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 09 at 20:24
yeh nice job mike.  Hats off to you guys that have done it yourself.   It gives me hope that one day i might be able to do it myself.

T
1985 LT31 LWB 2.4D, Diamond RV custom conversion, with all the whistles and bangs!!
mikebdomain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 09 at 12:54
Thanks Graham
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
grahamthemaker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grahamthemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 09 at 20:46
job well done. looks a gooden
1984 LT 31 2.4 petrol.bit slow but sounds great!
bushbandit View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bushbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 09 at 20:22

I will get some pic this wknd of my vans bed set up and shower and kitchen.  I must admit its been very well thought out by the company that put it togeather.

T
1985 LT31 LWB 2.4D, Diamond RV custom conversion, with all the whistles and bangs!!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 09 at 17:35
Well She has had her first run out this weekend Missus, dogs and all - Didn't go too bad - went from home (Dorset) to East Grinstead then on to Eastbourne, Bodium, Camber, Lydd (sh*t hole) visiting people on the way and back again...

Found a few things I need to sort out - like more vents for the gas fridge - the carbon monoxide alarms went off at 2am - glad I decided to get those. My leisure battery will not run my TV and everything else for very long and when it is overcast my expensive friggin solar panel is a complete waste of time... So after finishing the rest of the inside (the bits I have already started) , I will fit hook up electrics - a small generator (for when I am not going to a site) and in future I will carry a length of hose to fill up the water tank. I ran out of fresh water and whilst I found loads of sites where I could fill up with fresh drinking water none of them had a tap with a hose...

Whilst I have not finished the inside yet (and probably never will) here are a few showing how far I have got - the first couple are of how it was when I bought it.

The old girl parked outside Bodium castle
Boiling the first kettle
The dogs asleep under the bed
The first meal... Eggs 'n' beans, I'm sure we will get to more complicated meals as we get used to it..
Wine in a plastic glass.. hmmmm
Looking towards the back doors
Me doing the washing up..My missus thought it deserved a photo..
The bed made up
I only popped out of bed to go to the toilet...
The toilet...

All in all damn good fun I'm looking forward to getting her finished and long weekends away in the summer

Edited by mikebdomain - 14 Apr 09 at 17:36
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 09 at 15:53
No that's not too bad - I thought you meant just for bleeding the brakes, too old - they must have too much work in...
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossfromfriends Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 09 at 15:48
25 for wheel cylinder and 55 for labour.  Do you really think I was taken?   Also because I needed them to test them to make sure I was going to pass the re-test, which is on Thursday.. 

I think it was a big guy who worked on it, but it was that Irish or Welsh or whatever guy in the office who decided it was too old.  Maybe he's Scottish?  I didn't really catch the accent, all I know is he ain't from around here!  
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 09 at 15:41
80 quid for bleeding brake - jeeez m8 they must have seen you coming... Was it the big bloke in U-drive? They Mot'd mine...
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossfromfriends Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 09 at 15:35
Nice, I was thinking of taking a trip this weekend but a friend arrives Sunday from Canada so it kind of splits the long weekend in half. 

I'd still like to see your conversion someday.  BTW I took the van into U-Drive for the MOT, failed.  :(  One of the rear wheel cylinders was gone, not a big deal.  The worst part is, they refused to work on it because they said it was "too old" ... and I hate bleeding brakes so I took it to Hi-Q garage near Wallisdown, they were pretty good, charged me 80 quid for it.  
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 09 at 15:28
LOL - Ryan (not ross - sorry)
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 09 at 15:23
Hi Ross - I am actually taking the van away for the first time this weekend... Yipee... Going to east Grinstead, Eastbourne, then somewhere in kent (one of my wifes friends...) so won't be able to come over this weekend.

I got my Carver2 water heater, and 70 Litre water container off of Ebay - fitted it myself and all works well - my gas bottle is under the sink unit and seems fine, fitted all the gas myself and had it checked off by a certified fitter who says it's fine
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossfromfriends Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 09 at 14:45
Mike, I will try to take some pix of mine, or better yet just come by, perhaps this weekend.  Mine is a work in progress as well, but at one point it seems it was nearly finished.  Now the water tanks are gooed up, the gas system is mickey mouse (no hot water), and the wiring is hiding behind panels somewhere.  

Right now I'm working on making a big subwoofer box behind the front passenger seat as previous owner had something strange there which was taken out with brute force it would seem, leaving a hole in the floor and unfinished wood.  I've also put a second battery in the same place with a simple on/off switch to keep it disconnected while the van sits.   

Does anyone know anywhere good around the south to have new water tanks installed and or buy parts for custom builds?  I need a water heater.  

Also I'm interested in people's gas systems.  Mine had a permanent tank installed underneath which was removed due to safety concerns, apparently, and now just has a simple bottle under the sink which has one outlet that goes to the oven.  I'm looking to split the gas output to go to my fridge (which was simply cut off it seems), and a hot water heater.  

icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 09 at 11:01
well the bed mechanism is now finished and it seems to work!

doesn't look pretty yet though... must be my amateur woodworking!

function over form, though! ;)
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 09 at 07:41
Icky - this'll be interesting - I was toying with the idea of sliding slats for the bed in mine, but in the end decided on a table that turns into the bed centre - post a pic of the finished job, so I can see how it turns out...
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 09 at 00:45
oddly enough i started putting together some rough frames for the units to go in mine, today.

here's the frame for the pull-out double bed!!!

and yes there is a reason why the slats are of 2 different lengths!!! ;)

grahamthemaker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grahamthemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 09 at 20:03
Like the look of both of those, ill try and get some pics of mine on later this week
1984 LT 31 2.4 petrol.bit slow but sounds great!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikebdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 09 at 15:26
To be honest - with what I've learned over this last year, I'm tempted to get another one and make all the changes knowing what I know now...
1995 LT35 2.4 Diesel
Camper conversion
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>