The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A dual mass flywheel question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy-jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A dual mass flywheel question
    Posted: 13 Mar 09 at 21:24
Hi guys

Think my dual mass flywheel is on its way out.Cry(06 ,130 ,34k )

It only shows up in the first 5 minutes  when the engine is cold , when I reverse out of  the  workshop in the morning  (up a  slight  slope)  the whole  drivetrain  shudders.Confused

I have also noticed it when pulling out of a road junction about a mile down the road on about half a dozen occasions.

I also get a slight feeling that is not a smooth as it was.slightly noisier on the gears and not so smooth under light load. The sort of things you would imagine a DMF would iron out?

Don't know if I am getting paranoid but in the last few weeks I thought I had noticed the gear box whine.I have not looked into it to deeply but I have noticed it in when the gearbox is under light load in 3rd and 6th. The noise disappears when the clutch is down . It may whine in the other gears but I have not noticed it .I will take it out tomorrow and experiment .

I have done quite a lot of sound proofing of the van over a period of time and it may be that  by insulating the engine and road noise that I have made a normal gearbox noise stand out more and I have just not noticed it till I have started to look for problems?

Has anyone else that have soundproofed there van noticed the gearbox whine?

Or could this be related to the flywheel being on its way out?

If there is a problem developing in the gearbox I would like to get it sorted now because the warranty runs out at the end of April

Is the DMF covered under warranty or is it classed as a consumable ?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks in advance

garyb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 09 at 20:31
Well I had everything you mention on and off for six months.It first lasted for about a month but when reved over 3k it would dissapear.
Then at the start of Febuary it got worse than ever.
On being driven into the garage next to work there was a loud bang and one locked engine.
The flywheel took a shortcut out through the bell housing lunching on the clutch on the way.
For those interested the costs were: R&R the gearbox-£325
                                                           New bellhousing-£385
                                                                     Gearbox oil-£25
                                                       Dualmass Flywheel-£286
                                                 Clutch Kit (inc Bearing)-£194
This was all done by an independant garage on a 1.9 lwb T5 shuttle.
Mine is a 53 plate with 128k on the clock.Saying as this is a early T5 maybe this is something likley to happen to latter models.

bigrvg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigrvg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 09 at 22:14
I get a shudder when its cold. It'll do it in reverse and 1st for not too long until the engine warms up. Its almost like I'm getting my clutch/accelerator bite wrong, but I know I'm not.
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 09 at 05:02
Mine must be one of the fisrt T5's aswell. Now with 250k and clutch / flywheel no 2. I have been thinking for some time now that my clutch is on its last legs. When it does eventually go and if the flywheel isn't too badly worn / damaged, this time i'm just gonna weld it, to make a solid flywheel. As far as I know that is the only option as there is no after market solid flywheel available.
Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 09 at 13:10
I used to get a bad  clutch judder when cold from my Landcruiser.  It did another 100,000Km without any change (and was still OK when I sold it).  I often wondered whether there was a slight oil leak from the main crank seal ( a common problem for that engine), and that once the small amount of oil was worn/burnt off it was then perfectly fine ?

Certainly the VAG DMFs seem to have more than their fair share of problems, and seems to be worse for the 4 potters than the 5 cyl lumps.

On the Briskoda forum there has been a fair bit of discussion about replacing troublesome DMFs with a single mass flywheel for the 1.9 TDI engines.

Edited by gregozedobe - 16 Mar 09 at 13:12
Billy-jim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy-jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 09 at 20:39
I have taken van in to VW today.Took it for test drive but could not demonstrate the clutch judder because the engine was warm, but explained symptoms to them and the fact that the warranty runs out in a month and to there credit they are going to replace flywheel and investigate the gearbox whine .
 As gregozedobe said the tech did say it is a less common fault on the 2.5
Just hope it comes back undamaged 
max5765 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max5765 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 09 at 08:11
I don't know whether my question is related to this but I've been driving my colleagues T5 130 manual (2006, 65K) for the last couple of weeks and his clutch seems very sharp to the point where I've stalled it on a few occasions. I've also noticed that when the van is stoped and in nuetral if you press the clutch down slightly it vibrates really bad, it doesn't seem to get any better when its warm. Could this have anything to do with the DMF being on its way out?
MAX c/o www.amf-bruns.de

Take note.....the Blue Moon's Rising.....
Billy-jim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy-jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 09 at 19:00
My 2.5 has never been the smoothest  vehicle to pull away in.

The accelerator  can be a little bit all or nothing in 1st gear (gets a little better with a load on).

Im not interested in traffic light grand prix's and prefer to either get the van rolling in 1st with no accelerator and change up into 2nd and then accelerate or (I know you should not) pull away in second ,you have to be very gentle or it will stall and if you try and accelerate and slip the clutch   the electronics will throw a wobbler.

It can be a bit tiring in traffic.

I have been in two other T5's ,both 1.9 104's and must say allthough i miss the top end power of the 2.5 the 1.9's are an easier drive around town .

I also get quite a bit of vibration through the clutch pedal but I think i read on here somewhere that it is quite normal.
Billy-jim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy-jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 09 at 23:33
Got van back last ThursdayBig smile.They changed flywheel and van has come back a lot cleaner than I expected,in fact you would not of known they had done anythingApprove. They measured the play in the flywheel and said there was more movement than VW recommend .

As for the whine in the gearbox,they said they checked  the gearbox . Im no expert but would of thought there is not much you can check without stripping it down ,which in the time they had the van im fairly certain they did not doErmm,suppose they mean the drive shafts,thrust and gearbox output shaft bearings (if thats what there called).They also said they compared it with a newer van and it was comparable .

Took the van for a drive and the clutch feels fine and the engine and gears feel smoother. The whine is still there ,I admit its quite hard to hear. Its not really annoying but it is there and I thinkErmm I would of noticed it before if it was there.
Its most noticeable If I drive along a quiet road at about 55mph in 6th gear and lift of the accelerator a little it will start to whine if the speed drops or I accelerate it disappears. If dip the clutch it disappears.Some times I can hear it when I change down and use the engine breaking to approach a bend or roundabout .Also if I gently weave  the steering from left to right or go into a corner I can hear it come and go as the weight loads up on the drive shafts.
What do you guys think?
Its an 06 2.5  with 34k easy miles on the clock
Am I being paranoid and worrying about about normal mechanical noiseErmm ?
They are aware that the warranty runs out in a month and they have made a note of the complaint on the service history .
The old girl (the van) has been trouble free up until recently and I had put it down to finding the right balance between driving her hard enough to keep the turbo happy and smoothly enough to keep the gearbox, clutch and drive shafts in one piece but now im having my doubts.

gb1m View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gb1m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 09 at 21:10
I think your being a bit paranoied, mine also makes a sort of whining noise when I use the engine for braking and I think its always has . I also have 2.5 engine with 12k on the clock and bugger me yesterday I started to get juddering when setting off in 1st, allthough today it didn't do it as much
T5 174 kombi lwb
fanaticstuart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanaticstuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 09 at 21:43
hi
i have had my 1.9 102 t5 for about two months brought from a dealer.
i have noticed a bad clutch shudder from cold it seems better when warmed up. Its really noticable on a hill start from standstill.
Has anyone else had this and is this something i should get checked out at dealers i am a bit nervous after reading this post and all the dmf probs.
The van has done 11000 miles i have only done 1200 any help / replies would be great thanks.
Also seem to have the dreaded clonk from steering is this worht getting repaired at same time.
thanks Stuart.
kawolsky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kawolsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 09 at 09:17
is your van under warranty?
CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLONKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 09 at 11:19
It sounds very much like the DMF,but failure at 11K is premature even for a T5. If its in warranty,which sounds likely at such a low mileage,i'd get back to the dealer asap.
kawolsky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kawolsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 09 at 11:37
mine failed at 11,000 miles. just had it replaced.... along with the steering column.
CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLONKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 09 at 12:55
The failure mileage is tantalisingly close to service intervals.Fall lucky and you can get both done at the same time. Nice.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanaticstuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 09 at 17:16
Yes van still under warranty only had it two months 08 plate i dont get any shudder when warmed up still think its dmf ?.
It is going in for some other work soon so i will mention this trouble is are they going to bother doing anything when there is no shudder when warm.
I guess my question is does anyone else get a shudder from cold on their 1.9 or is this definately a problem appreciate any replies Stuart.
Kev The Gas View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

BUS WANKER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kev The Gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 09 at 18:06
Mine judders every now and then, T32 LWB kOMBI. 140k miles

Spoke to Eurovans and the service guy said it was a characteristic of the model !

Be carefull not to spend money if not reqd.

Kev.

Sorry just noticed your van is  still under warranty, advice to others still stands.

Edited by Kev The Gas - 20 Dec 09 at 18:07
T5.1 T32 LWB Kombi 140 ps. Sold

T5.1 Caravelle Executive 2.0BiTDI
180PS DSG Sold

T5.1 Kombi LWB 180 BiTDI DSG   

T6 California Beach 150 DSG
tufty65 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufty65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 09 at 22:14
I have serious slackness of shafts when on take up of drive, I also have a very noticeable whine in first and second gears, also judder on the clutch.
Its in for gearbox rebuild and new dmf, clutch Ouch in the new year.
T5 04 130 ps 2.5tdi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanaticstuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 10 at 21:26
well took van in and they changed flywheel and plate and bearing and it feels much better.had it serviced while it was in and they lent me a new t5 only trouble is felt much quicker than mine same engine 102 hp but much stronger pull which is quite annoying.
also complained about steering clonk but was told its the column and there is no fix ?.
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 10 at 22:13
There is a fix. The loan van has probably been thrashed to death from day one or has been remapped.
Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>