Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Westfalia forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swapping a High Top for a Pop Top

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swapping a High Top for a Pop Top
    Posted: 13 Mar 09 at 18:11
Does anyone know if its easy to switch a high top roof for a pop top roof? If you removed both roofs do you have the same tinwear, trim  and fixings underneath, or is there some fundamental difference between the two vehicles that would prevent an authentic looking swap?Question
badger View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 09 at 01:03
Probably easier to sell high top and buy a pop top or vice versa.
1989 Westy California 1.9 AAZ
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 09 at 18:29
You are probably right! I just think you can get a lot more for your money when you buy a high top, and the really original examples are more often high tops. So I thought rather than try and make my van as good as I want it to be(which would be expensive), buy a hightop in the same colour that's seriously good, swap the roofs, sell mine on and bingo! I have not done the maths on it but mine is  a fairly scarce commodity and I reckon it's an option IF the swap is feasible.  I'm thinking maybe extra wiring on the high top, and hinge holes on the pop top, butdon't know what else it would throw up?
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 09 at 15:17
We did it (had it done) but the van was originally a Joker pop-top that had an EMC high-top fitted atsome stage of it's life.  Consequently everything underneath remaining was original and we were lucky enough to find a roof that had all the fittings required still present, down to the bed hinges.

I don't know is the Westy hightop has the same flat roof pressing as the pop-top, which might give problems.
My van is better known in these parts than I am
Joker_Club View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joker_Club Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 09 at 16:03
There is indeed a seperate roof pressing listed just for pop-top `vans. This would suggest that the high roof Westy used a standard curved tin roof which had quite a bit removed, like a "sunroof" hole. Hard to tell from Etka but the top bed unit looks like it adapts from a curved roof to a flat bed (similar to how they did the Mosaik Joker pop-tops later on)
Sunny Lancs
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 09 at 17:22
look at the photo in this link. it seems the roof is fully cut on the hi top westy

Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 09 at 17:32
THE ROOF IS FULLY SOMETHING THAT'S FOR SURE!  Funnily enough mine is a Calypso Atlantic, but not sure I want to do the swap with that one!  Hhmm. I can't recall the inside of a High top, but does it open up to the roof from in the cab area then? Any high top owners can resolve this??  The pop top roof pressing might be marginally different and therefore listed seperately as it has the hinge holes and roof shutting plate/ though I can see the logic of the hightop not using the flate roof as it's hardly trying to keep it's height down is it!
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 09 at 17:36
i was under the impression the vans left the factory with the same roof pressing pop top or hi top (both are different to the normal tin top)
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 09 at 11:57
Me too. I thought from memory that they had the same pattern to them, same size and shaped hole in the same place. That would suggest an easy enough switch over.  Someone who imports or breaks them must know for sure.
..lee.. View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ..lee.. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 09 at 21:00
origonal westy pop tops are cut 3/4 open if you know what i mean. the cab roof part above the headliner is the same shape as a tin top and as such is water tight below the roof rack.

I THINK  origonal westy high tops are fully cut so they rely on the high top to water proof the cab area. the headliner in the cab on the high top is a flat wooden panel which forms the base of the roof cupboard. same as the rear on a poptop forms the bed board.

if i`m correct then converting a westy poptop to a high top should be ok, but converting a high top to a poptop would require a waterproof cab roof fitting aswell.

lee.
Big red bus View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big red bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 09 at 21:47
I think the same as ..lee..  You could convert pop top to high top but alot more difficult to convert high to pop. The high tops are cut the full roof and has feet welded onto the roof to which the  strengthening frames in the roof bolt onto.  These need to ground off but then you have no roof over cab area? headaches.  replace roof skin? then cut pop top hole and fit.
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 09 at 12:53
Okay I think it's a defined response now. Thank's for all input. looks my big plan is a nono. i have an Atlantic pop top that's an 8 out of ten.  To get it to a 9, 9 and a bit would be costly indeed, so thought i'd source a really good hightop, cos they are cheaper and so often better, and swap the roofs over.  looks like a no goer for sure. thank's again. decision made.
The BCE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The BCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 09 at 19:19
What I want to know is: is it possible to replace the roof on an ex-ambulance van with a high top?
Big red bus View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big red bus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 09 at 20:49

Any thing is possible, just depends on how good you are with your handy skills. Have a westy high top for sale if interested? still attached onto roof so can see how fitted.

The BCE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The BCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 09 at 21:20
Handy skills limited!! How much are you after for the high top? Please message me.
armyphil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armyphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 10 at 18:31
Just answered a pressing question I am swapping my ambulance roof for a westy high top, hopefully it should be a easy conversion after Reading this
 Post Reply Post Reply