Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power steering conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 13:26
I think that a lot of the problems with finding alternatives occur because of the forward control arrangement, which is / may well be unique in a vehicle the size of a transporter.
The rack is effectively bulkhead mounted as we all know, with its mounting faces arranged vertically, but the pinion shaft points away from the centre of the vehicle and forward, whereas in just about anything else it points more or less straight back, toward the driver.
I thought that I'd struck gold a while back on fleabay, turned out that the listing was wrong and it was a T4 rack. It didn't help that the picture was wrong too...
Range Rover? Classics and P38A's were steering box. Disco I and II's too. Chassis / foot mounted.
In a previous life, had I known, I'd have got a Synchro Cry instead of a Solihull S###box.

Try Kiley Clinton in Brum for a rebuild. Roger advised me that if I had a dead rack, they could rebuild it somehow. But I had to have something to fix first.
Have I missed anything?
Coolleocool View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coolleocool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 09 at 08:00
Hi Silverbullet,
Did I get it right? a powersteering rack off a Discovery I or II would fit a VW T3?
   Maurizio
UAP1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

AKA Mannlicher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UAP1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 09 at 08:30
A rangie Classic has a Steering Box bolted to the chassis which then transfer movement to the rack which is pumped ,with a little ingenuity i suppose it may be modified , hence my original post has anyone every done it?
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 09 at 09:22
NO no no - they are all steering box.  There is no rack!
All but the earliest are power. The column connects to the box, the box has a drop arm which connects to one steering upright by a rod and an adjustable track rod connects the two uprights to maintain... track.
Don't even go there. The 'box weighs about 20kg and looks like it should be on a tractor. Which is exactly where they originate. It won't work on a T3.
The best solution is the manual rack with electric column. If you've already got a power rack, then go the hybrid electric pump route with a speed sensor. At least you'll gain 1 or 2 mpg.
Have I missed anything?
Coolleocool View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coolleocool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 09 at 08:20
Hi again,
Gentlemen, first allow me to say that I absoluttely love this forum where some real down tho earth people share experiences and knowledge "earned on the field" (like me). 
Ok just to get thingr right, as my tec. english is not the best...
The steering wheel is connected to the box, the tractor like one?, then the box is connected to the rack? (that is what what I am looking for), and the rack is connected to the wheels.
Mine is worn out and it leaks oil. I was wondering if VW only made those racks just for the T3 or if they fitted them on some other models... I remember reading somewhere that the rack of a passat should fit (apart from the U shaped bolts that holds it onto the chassis... but that wouldn't be a problem). Has anyone ever tried to fit one in or heard of someone who did?
Apart from enjoying driving my van (named Rufus) I work with it, steerring racks are hard to find here and I just can't afford to take mine off, send it somewhere then wait for it to be posted back... Apart from the postage cost that would cost me a fortune (adding up everything would probably buy me a new one), hence... I am looking for alternatives.

PS. I have (free to anyone who needs it) a power steering pump and bracketthat was fitted on a 1.9 tdi, just pay postage fees. ANNND... I found in a brakeyard an ambulance 2.1 petrol engine with just 16.000 km on the clock, it was used in a small airport... so, no mileage at all, if anyone is interested, I can find out how much they would want for it or provide address and Ph. Numb. for direct contact.
   Maurizio
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 09 at 09:11
Sorry, this whole thing has got out of hand. Forget the Land Rovers.
I had been led to believe that you can adapt another rack with brackets but I can't now remember!
Might have been GM / Corsa. Passat might do the job, someone must know. Search the forum for "power steering rack swap"
Wish I could be more helpful.
Have I missed anything?
Losthighway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Losthighway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 17 at 09:35
Ok i know this is an old thread but i have a 1991 VW T4 Petrol with no PAS im looking to get power steering done on this, anyone who posted on this thread still about haha thanks
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 17 at 18:24
Try t4 tech forum rather than the t3 tech!
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234