The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power steering conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 09 at 09:15
Definately gives me an idea.

I assume then for the conversion there'd be no messing around with pulleys at the back of the bus, plus front to back lines etc so it would be easier to fit and a lot less messing around with parts?

Also how big does the electric motor need to be and where abouts do you mount it?

Thanks
Drop in late but show up early
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 09 at 09:31
If you are able to view the photo I posted of my rhd bus the answer is there for you regarding the motor size.
And yes you are right,no mods such as pipes, pulleys, PAS t3 rack, PAS steering coupler or pas stub axles.
Yes very easy to fit!
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Wald0 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wald0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 09 at 11:35
That looks nice!! so where can i order parts? or do i need to do them my self?? :) i was planing to but normal power steering on my van but that electronic looks nicer and meaby more easy.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 09 at 19:18
Posting parts to Finland might make the total price including postage very expensive.
Tim
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
southern scouse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southern scouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 09 at 20:05
hi just fitted the same system as vw nerd to my crew cab as a test bed for fitting to my gipsey my conrol for assistance is a manual KNOB like a volume control how can i make it speed regulated  engine in gipo is 1.9 dg   cheers
tomjacbus
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 09 at 20:50
You need to fit a vehicle road speed sensor. the one I use, fits over the rear cv joint with an inductive pick up mounted to the gear box case.
I am waiting for new stock from my supplier if you want to use this system!

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
ROB1N View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROB1N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 09 at 21:37
What vauxhall is the the power steering from cheers rob
Vw's are for life .
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 09 at 21:40
Corsa!

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
lister View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 09 at 22:53
I need this in my bus, so the dragon can drive and i get to relax hehehe
Keep us updated on parts and i'll buy some as soon as they are in.

Rob
TransPorscher View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TransPorscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 09 at 23:54
I've driven one of Tim's buses with this system on and it's actually better for parking than the original T3 PAS. Therefore I'm weighing in all my RHD power racks!!! LOL
Charlie

Small Moves Big Grooves! WeFunkRadio.com

Aspo13 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 09 at 09:51
I think you'd better count me in on a kit. Could you put one together and post it up north to me?
My uncle is a mechanic so as long as he has an idea of whats involved we can fit it ourselves.
What would the cost be for all the bits in kit form if your willing to do it this way?

niko View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nice fella.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 09 at 19:40
this looks like the answer to many peoples prayers....seems simple enough concept.

more details ClapClapClap
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 09 at 21:16
No longer a concept, but a reality!
What do you need to know?
Tim

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
ben50 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ben50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 09 at 21:38
I'm very interested in this, especially for when I get my alloys on later this year.

Approx how much do the parts come to if I was going to fit myself? Are they the sort of bits I could easliy get from a scrapyard? Money is rather tight at the moment, and plenty of worthwhile things to spend it on before the van! 
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 09 at 22:20
It is not the simple case of fitting parts straight from a donor car, there is some cut and shut needed with some careful fabrication of mounting brakes. Then there is the fitting of the vehicle road speed sensor, a part which I can supply!
Tim.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
niko View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nice fella.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 09 at 08:14
same as the last post really....
do you plan to offer this as a ready to go kit. is it an easy DIY fit. have you any indication of a price.
I have seen a similar thing on some of the mini forums...so as you say more reality than concept.

I was toying with the idea of getting a LHD PS rack and all the bits so that my wife feels happier driving....is this a better, cheaper, easier alternative upgrade.

Cheers
Keith
Aspo13 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aspo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 09 at 09:34
So, can you put together the kit together to sell or not?

Please can I be at the front of the queue, it was my thread after all LOL.

Judging by the interest its generated I think VW Nerd is going to be busy this year.

Please can you let us know.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 09 at 18:11
Originally posted by VW Nerd VW Nerd wrote:

I estimate the cost to build and fit epas (electric power assisted steering) to be about £400 with road speed sensing included.

I will get a few kits up together, It will be on a first come, first serve basis!

I guess half a dozen will be enough to get the ball rolling!

Tim

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Aidan View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 09 at 10:06
Tim
I hope you have good liability insurance cos in the event of an accident the non collapsible nature of the set up might be a problem, safer to use an electric pump and proper t3 ps rack and the standard column ands linkages imho.
Be interested what the insurance company thought of the mod, I appreciate that yours is mega modded but didn't they ask for an engineers report for this conversion ?
Aidan Talbot, gearboxes for watercooled engines, 4, 5 speed and syncro front and rear rebuilt. 01691 648011, 07817 377938....www.aidantalbot.co.uk
Tee3 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Coprophagous Cretin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tee3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 09 at 10:19
Thats the only thing that stopped me asking about this kit.

I'm sure any major non OE parts fitted to the steering system would raise some eyebrows at insurance time?
Its a great Idea, but i'm waiting til I can afford OE bits. And mines a left hooker so there are lot more bits out there

YOU CANT EDUCATE GAMMON

http://www.tee3.co.uk/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>