Power steering conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power steering conversion
    Posted: 30 Jan 17 at 18:24
Try t4 tech forum rather than the t3 tech!
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
Losthighway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Losthighway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 17 at 09:35
Ok i know this is an old thread but i have a 1991 VW T4 Petrol with no PAS im looking to get power steering done on this, anyone who posted on this thread still about haha thanks
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 09 at 09:11
Sorry, this whole thing has got out of hand. Forget the Land Rovers.
I had been led to believe that you can adapt another rack with brackets but I can't now remember!
Might have been GM / Corsa. Passat might do the job, someone must know. Search the forum for "power steering rack swap"
Wish I could be more helpful.
Have I missed anything?
Coolleocool View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coolleocool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 09 at 08:20
Hi again,
Gentlemen, first allow me to say that I absoluttely love this forum where some real down tho earth people share experiences and knowledge "earned on the field" (like me). 
Ok just to get thingr right, as my tec. english is not the best...
The steering wheel is connected to the box, the tractor like one?, then the box is connected to the rack? (that is what what I am looking for), and the rack is connected to the wheels.
Mine is worn out and it leaks oil. I was wondering if VW only made those racks just for the T3 or if they fitted them on some other models... I remember reading somewhere that the rack of a passat should fit (apart from the U shaped bolts that holds it onto the chassis... but that wouldn't be a problem). Has anyone ever tried to fit one in or heard of someone who did?
Apart from enjoying driving my van (named Rufus) I work with it, steerring racks are hard to find here and I just can't afford to take mine off, send it somewhere then wait for it to be posted back... Apart from the postage cost that would cost me a fortune (adding up everything would probably buy me a new one), hence... I am looking for alternatives.

PS. I have (free to anyone who needs it) a power steering pump and bracketthat was fitted on a 1.9 tdi, just pay postage fees. ANNND... I found in a brakeyard an ambulance 2.1 petrol engine with just 16.000 km on the clock, it was used in a small airport... so, no mileage at all, if anyone is interested, I can find out how much they would want for it or provide address and Ph. Numb. for direct contact.
   Maurizio
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 09 at 09:22
NO no no - they are all steering box.  There is no rack!
All but the earliest are power. The column connects to the box, the box has a drop arm which connects to one steering upright by a rod and an adjustable track rod connects the two uprights to maintain... track.
Don't even go there. The 'box weighs about 20kg and looks like it should be on a tractor. Which is exactly where they originate. It won't work on a T3.
The best solution is the manual rack with electric column. If you've already got a power rack, then go the hybrid electric pump route with a speed sensor. At least you'll gain 1 or 2 mpg.
Have I missed anything?
UAP1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

AKA Mannlicher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UAP1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 09 at 08:30
A rangie Classic has a Steering Box bolted to the chassis which then transfer movement to the rack which is pumped ,with a little ingenuity i suppose it may be modified , hence my original post has anyone every done it?
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coolleocool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 09 at 08:00
Hi Silverbullet,
Did I get it right? a powersteering rack off a Discovery I or II would fit a VW T3?
   Maurizio
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 13:26
I think that a lot of the problems with finding alternatives occur because of the forward control arrangement, which is / may well be unique in a vehicle the size of a transporter.
The rack is effectively bulkhead mounted as we all know, with its mounting faces arranged vertically, but the pinion shaft points away from the centre of the vehicle and forward, whereas in just about anything else it points more or less straight back, toward the driver.
I thought that I'd struck gold a while back on fleabay, turned out that the listing was wrong and it was a T4 rack. It didn't help that the picture was wrong too...
Range Rover? Classics and P38A's were steering box. Disco I and II's too. Chassis / foot mounted.
In a previous life, had I known, I'd have got a Synchro Cry instead of a Solihull S###box.

Try Kiley Clinton in Brum for a rebuild. Roger advised me that if I had a dead rack, they could rebuild it somehow. But I had to have something to fix first.
Have I missed anything?
UAP1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

AKA Mannlicher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UAP1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 11:13
It may appear a stupid question but has anyone ever fitted /modified a power steering rack and pump to their vehicle other than a VW pump and rack
I.e Range Rover or similar
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coolleocool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 09 at 10:58
Hi all,
I have mounted and used for about 3 monts now a french filth electric power steering pump, it works great.
My only poblem now is that I need a new steering rack and can't seem to be able to find one locally (South of Italy), is there another vw vwhicle model that has a rack that I could modifyto fit my 1981 9pack T3?. I will buy one of those speed sensing kits as soon as I am back in proper cruising oder as i don't have any at the moment (My van had no power steering... talking about which, VW nerd, could I see a pic of the kit??) 
I also have a bracket and pump off a 1900cc diesel engine that I am more than happyto give to anyone in need (providing they pay for the postage).
regards to all,
Maurizio (RUFUS).
   Maurizio
niko View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Nice fella.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 09 at 13:11
I think this sounds like a great mod on the face of it.....hats off to someone with the know how and motivation to get this going.....
good price too.

I bought a std LHD power steering rack about 2 months ago......but now I think I will go down the option as offered here.

Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 09 at 10:21
Just to help this discussion along: if anyone's got any doubts about epas, there's a firm based at Silverstone called GTC engineering (no connection to me) who offer this system for Aston Martin cars, which are rather more costly to put right in the event of a mishap than our buses. Their owners probably aren't averse to phoning their solicitors, either.
They use the system because it is simple, self-contained and unobtrusive. No plumbing or pumps, no bhp wasted , no excess heat, nothing to give the game away when the bonnet's up and quaffing Chablis.
You wouldn't know it's there until taking a back-to-back test drive. Which I haven't. I've got a T3!

Edited by silverbullet - 13 Jul 09 at 10:21
Have I missed anything?
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 09 at 09:53
If any one has epas on their bus already and wants to fit vehicle road speed sensing I can offer a kit with the parts needed to convert from the dash mounted control module.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 09 at 09:31
Just to remove a big spanner from the works.

Fitting and using a pre built epas system with vehicle road speed sensor and pre made wiring loom is very straight forward and can be fitted in a morning if you have reasonable mechanical knowledge. One important fact about the epas kit I make is that it uses the std T3 steering wheel and wiper/indicator stalks so no unnecessary wiring to contend with or replacement steering wheel needed.

Another point, with some minor cutting to the cowl that covers the underside of your factory steering column this can also be reused keeping the whole instal very neat and tidy.

I am selling complete kits for £300 at the moment and can supply and fit kits for £400

The great thing about the people involved in the VW T3 scene is that there are some great innovators out there and there is more than one way to skin a cat so to speak. I have seen so many good modifications out there and praise any one who has the imagination and drive to bring these concepts into reality.

If you think that electric power steering pumps and power racks are better than a column powered by an electric motor then there is nothing stopping you putting such a system together. Best of luck to you guys.

Fiat, MG and General motors to name but a few started using electrically powered columns on there cars. So why not use tried and tested modern technology-No pipes-pumps-oil leaks or rusty pipes to replace.
Just fit the column into your bus with the loom supplied and job done! You decide.
Tim
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 09 at 03:17
just to chuck a big spanner in the works...lol

i spend way to much time in breakers yards but see the underside if many a car..  i personaly would rather try to find a conventional PAS rack that could be modded to fit a t3.. then use a pug 106/saxo electric pump.

to me half the thing i love about my van's is i can DIY it.. and do it safely.. the reason i can do this is the vans are quite simple..
now i can see why a mini with huge power might be better with an electric system as there was never much space in a min's engine bay and if its got a vtec lump in ther for eg there is even less.

there are so many cars/vans out there running a standard PAS system why not try to find a rack that would be easily modded onto a T3.

look at it this way.
alternative oil type power rack would posibly require
custom track rods. new holes for mounting to the underside. custom linkage from the standard stearing linkage.  an electric pump/hoses. 12 volt feed.

electric pas
a fair number of new column parts custom made, the column speed sensor/ cable/sensor ring. new column shroud. control unit, power feed to control unit. loom. adaptors for the steering wheel,stalks ignition system.
you also have to find more space to fit the control unit.

there are more custom parts that go into the electric pas system. thus more cost and complication.
keep it simple... makes life easy...

Edited by T3ADICT - 13 Jul 09 at 03:20
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
garry247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garry247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 09 at 23:58
how much for the kit.

Thanks,

Garry
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 09 at 14:15
I now have all parts in stock for electric power assisted steering epas, this also includes parts used for the vehicle road speed sensor. This part is used to adjusts the assistance given to the steering for different road speeds. This gives light steering while parking and a firm stiffer feeling when driving at speed.
I look forward to hearing from any one who would like to try or buy a system.

Tim.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 09 at 12:52
Originally posted by VW Nerd VW Nerd wrote:

I estimate the cost to build and fit epas (electric power assisted steering) to be about £400 with road speed sensing included.

Hi  - another newbie here,

I've been getting stuck into our new bus (obsessively) and this job is top of the list.

VW Nerd - Your work looks really good so at this price put me down for a kit right now!
Contact me direct or via forum.

Got to get this sorted asap so that mem'sahib can drive me home when past my best of an evening...
Have I missed anything?
eatcustard View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatcustard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 09 at 08:24
Rjes

I will be getting one from you, when its ready.
Some people are only alive as its illegal to shoot them
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 09 at 22:38
Hi all with an interest in epas (electric power assisted steering)
I will be at Van West next weekend with the power steering system fitted to my van if anyone wants to come and have a look at it and a chat about what is involved in converting your bus.
Also anyone is welcome to call me if you're down in the Bristol area for a look!
Tim.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>