The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do I change the sidelight bulbs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigrvg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I change the sidelight bulbs?
    Posted: 26 Feb 09 at 19:54
Anyone know how to change the sidelights on a t28? I've just changed the headlight bulbs for some phillips extremes and wanted to change my sidelight bulbs, but I couldn't get them out at all! Is it like a ship in a bottle?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 09 at 20:42
They're just below the headlamp bulbs but slightly off to one side.  To identify them you will see that the bulb holders are coloured orange.  You just wiggle and pull them out.  Don't pull them out by the wires just grip the orange bit.  The bulbs themselves are the capless type which means they don't have a metal base, they just pull out too instead of the usual 'push in and turn' bayonet fitting.

Edited by T5 TDI - 27 Feb 09 at 23:32
2004 2.5 174
bigrvg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigrvg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 09 at 18:58
Managed to change the drivers side after about 30 minutes. Turns out the bulb holder turns and then you can pull it out. The passenger side had me swearing blue until I admitted defeat. I'm gonna have another go tomorrow and maybe undo the battery clamp and move the battery back a bit cos thats the space problem. VW have not made a simple task with this one.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 09 at 20:24
Eh?  How weird!  What year/model do you have bigvg?  Is the battery crammed up behind the headlamp?  On my '04 174 panel van there is loads of clearance between the bulbs and the battery on the nearside.  And the bulb holder needs no turning on mine, it just pulls out exactly as I described.   If your van is that radically different can you take any pics?    

Edited by T5 TDI - 28 Feb 09 at 20:34
2004 2.5 174
Dub4life View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dub4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 09 at 08:16
I seem to recall mine were really tight to get out with not much room either. I agree a really poor design. I am considering the velle lamp upgrade, are they any easier to get to? I suppose I could do that new option with the audi like LEDs.
Motexion, not cheap plywood!
bigrvg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigrvg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 09 at 21:05
Finally got the passenger side one done today, only took one and a halfs hours!
   It looks like the notches that you line up when you rotate the bulb holder to pull it out where missing on my headlamp, so it just wouldn't come out. I had to remove the headlamp bulb and put my finger inside the lamp to remove the sidelight bulb from the inside. I then proceeded to drop it and it rolled to the front of the lamp Cry I had to use my noddle and figure out how to get the bulb out. I ended up getting 2 drinking straws one inside the other and put some sellotape sticky side up and got it out that way Clap I then tried to think how to get the new bulb in from the inside and again resorted to sellotape around my fingers and sticking the bulb to my fingers. I tried for around 45 minutes and then got so frustrated I decided to start removing the whole bumper and then the headlamp. Luckily my fiancee was getting so impatiant that we were yet to go out as planned she came to help and using her smaller fingers managed to get it in with the old sellotape trick Thumbs Up I haven't taken any pics yet, but the new sidelight bulbs look awesome, they are LED ones from ebay and transform the light, giving a modern look.
smidsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smidsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 09 at 22:37
are you going to post this 'how to' guide in the modifications section?LOL
bigrvg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigrvg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 09 at 10:57
Maybe I could set up a 'How not to' Tongue
gareth2933 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gareth2933 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 09 at 22:26
I have  T5 on a 06 plate and am having problems removing the sidelights does anyone know what to do to get them out
matsvan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matsvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 09 at 21:00
errrr. i even pulled the damn things with pliers and failed. good to see the manual was handy though. 'go to a vw dealer'. er no
My dad swears by French cars but they keep breaking down. Asked what the best cars he ever had were, he replied "The old Passat, the two MK2 Golfs, the Audi Quattro and the Princess"? Kombi 130 SWB
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 09 at 09:37
This tale makes me think of the continental legislation that requires spare bulbs to be carried for instant replacement in case of bulb failure. Apparently there are worse examples than T5`s. I think if I was faced with it I would get the led`s, they are supposed to be more reliable than filament bulbs.
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 09 at 23:13
Originally posted by zedzedeleven zedzedeleven wrote:

This tale makes me think of the continental legislation that requires spare bulbs to be carried for instant replacement in case of bulb failure. Apparently there are worse examples than T5`s. I think if I was faced with it I would get the led`s, they are supposed to be more reliable than filament bulbs.

My Golf is way worse than my T5 - replacing any bulbs means taking the bumper off (I challenge anyone to change the passenger side without bumper removal)

LEDs are definately more reliable than any filament bulb

!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
matsvan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matsvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 09 at 08:17
problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

go to halfords, pick upthe cheapest bulbs, have them fitted for £2.99. watch them struggle and swear. when they get them out, hand them the bulbs you want fitted!!!

jobs a good'un!!
My dad swears by French cars but they keep breaking down. Asked what the best cars he ever had were, he replied "The old Passat, the two MK2 Golfs, the Audi Quattro and the Princess"? Kombi 130 SWB
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 09 at 04:20
Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

My Golf is way worse than my T5 - replacing any bulbs means taking the bumper off (I challenge anyone to change the passenger side without bumper removal)

But my Skoda Octavia II (same platform as Golf Mk V) has a simple lever operation to release the headlight, 10 seconds and you've got all the access you could want.  Seems that VW could learn quite a bit about making their vehicles more easily maintained by their owners from their "down-market" sister brand Wink
matsvan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matsvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 09 at 15:05
ordered some leds. that way, even though i will have to go through the pure hell off the
removal again, it should be a one of experiance.................but i have this niggle that the leds will not fit through the hole. time will tell.

oh yeah, i also put some of those 'hid' xenon blue bulbs in my headlights. i shat myself this morning. main beams and i could bearly see. hmmmm - think it boils down to the quality
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 09 at 20:45
Originally posted by Dub4life Dub4life wrote:

I seem to recall mine were really tight to get out with not much room either. I agree a really poor design. I am considering the velle lamp upgrade, are they any easier to get to? I suppose I could do that new option with the audi like LEDs.

i have done the velle headlight upgrade but i would recommend u look at some alternatives as the led side lights look fab, especially the black background ones. i was a little surprised by the poor build quality of the velle lamps, infact one of mine is faulty, there is moisture in there! i don't think they are any easier to get to bulbs either...
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
matsvan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matsvan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 09 at 23:23
well, my led bulbs came..smashed. so they are going back!! the irony of getting bulbs that should stand the test of time!! and i have ordered some more expensive (14 quid) ring +90% brighter xenon bulbs. lets hope they come tomorrow morning so i dont have to drive back down the north devon link tomorrow evening using mind power to stay on the road!
borg View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Bruce Almighty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote borg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 09 at 11:19

Originally posted by zedzedeleven zedzedeleven wrote:

LEDs are definately more reliable than any filament bulb

I changed the passenger side bulb on my Mk4 Golf without removing the bumper!! However did have to remove the battery, air box, induction pipe, MAF, and still took over an hour, so next time might just remove the bumper.

Changing  the headlamp bulb in the Mk4 Golf is so bad I've waited since last Easter to do it and only drove my T5 at night till last week with the shorter days forcing me to finally waste 2 hours changing the bulb.

Edited by borg - 22 Sep 09 at 11:20
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 09 at 11:31
Removing the bumper is not difficult - I reckon the entire process (bumper off, bulbs changed, bumper on) could be done in 20 minutes - may take a little longer at your first attempt
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
blackvanman View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackvanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 09 at 14:01

Removing the bumper is not difficult - I reckon the entire process (bumper off, bulbs changed, bumper on) could be done in 20 minutes - may take a little longer at your first attempt

is that a mk4 bumper? certainly couldn't be a t5!!
'09' 174 kombi, swb, pearl black
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>