The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stereo wiring help needed, pictures included

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigrvg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stereo wiring help needed, pictures included
    Posted: 23 Feb 09 at 12:23

I've just got a VW Transporter T5, 55 plate. I want to put my headunit in to the van because the previous owner lost the little security panel from the original VW Beta cassette headunit, so I have no music.

I bought a headunit off fleabay a while ago and tried to put it in my previous MK3 golf diseasel. Being a bloke I decided I could wire it in myself and I also bought one to do in my Mrs's Seat arosa. All seemed fine for a while, but when the cold weather started they both got flat batteries. The only changes to the cars were the stereos. The AA bloke said there was a drain somewhere and its probably the stereos. Knowing I'd fitted them and not to admit my retardedness I told him they came with the cars, but swiftly removed them after he went!

The wiring plug that goes in to the back of the stereo seems to be an uncommon shape and size, probably due to it being of American origin. To connect it to the new loom that will fit the Transporter I will use some adaptors for the wiring and speakers.

I've heard that my problem may have been something to do with the switched live or something needing swapping over??? Thats probably why the battery kept draining.
The middle connector part to connect the new Transporter loom to the headunit is for VW's, but the thing that confuses me is the fact that one of the connectors has a red and yellow wire coming from it, even though there is already a yellow wire aswell.

I've added a diagram of what each of the connectors and colour coded to suit and also a photo of the actual pieces. I will use chop blocks to connect it all together. I want to get this right as I don't want a flat battery again. I've not bothered adding details of the speaker wiring as thats the same on all the connectors and even I can figure that out!

I know it may be easy to some, but we've all got to start somewhere!

bigrvg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigrvg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 09 at 13:03

After looking at my own diagram I may have come up with an easier way altogether. Why do I need to use an adaptor in the middle? I don't really as there is plenty of wire on the new adaptor loom that fits in to the transporter. Could I just chop the adaptor block off and use a chop block to wire it all together? I think the transporter has a feed from the ignition as this is on the adaptor.

I have re-done the wiring diagram to hopefully show the new easier way. Will this work?

bigrvg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigrvg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 09 at 22:24
Bump for some help!
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 09 at 18:49
dunno mate gotta wire mine in yet
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB
surfdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 09 at 11:36
When I wired in my replacement head unit [pioneer] it was with a standard ISO connector so it plugged straight into the existing VW loom. It worked fine, although it wouldn't store radio stations etc and I had to retune every time I switched it on. It turns out that the constant live and the switched live were the wrong way round in the plug, so when I changed them over it was all ok. I can't remember the colours but let me know if you're still stuck and I can pull the head unit out and have a look.
bigrvg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigrvg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 09 at 19:57
If it isn't too much trouble Surfdub I'd well appreciate it. I haven't attempted it yet as I don't want to end up in the same situation I did with the golf. I need the van for work and could do without being on 1st name terms with the AA man.
surfdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 09 at 21:24
No worries. I'll have a look at it on the weekend and let you know.
VWmatT28 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWmatT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 00:24

Does this leave it with a perminant live after swapping the switched live and perminant live?? will it go off/on with the ignition as the standard head unit did/does?

Cheers
Matt
surfdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 09:39
I got my van 2nd hand, and the previous owner had put a different[non standard] headunit in. I changed it for a pioneer unit, and used the existing ISO connector on the loom. Like I said previously there was an issue with storing presets etc, so I tested the wires in the loom and found that the ISO was wired wrongly. Whether that was an issue with VW, or the guy that installed the aftermarket headunit I don't know.

But in short, the stereo switches on and of with the ignition and does what it's supposed to.

I'll
VWmatT28 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWmatT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 13:33
Ok then chaps i've just spent 2 mins sorting out the power supply to my head unit and now it works like the stock head unit.
I've got a bog standard Pioneer DEH-2000MP head unit and it fitted directly to the std harness in the van (no fancy connector boxes that Halfords try and sell you), now how to get the stereo to work is dead easy all you have to do is on the stereo connector harness is swap the yellow cable and red cable connections over, the manufactures have already put bullet connectors (i guess for this) in line, now sit back and enjoy the next time you switch the engine off you dont have to reset your radio and sound Big smile
I hope this helps???
Matt
bigrvg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigrvg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 09 at 23:10
So, the main vw loom that is part of the van that comes out of the dash when you pull the original stereo out, you've taken the yellow and red cable out of the back of that loom and clip them back in the other way around? Do they literally just pull out or do you need some pliers?
VWmatT28 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWmatT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 09 at 08:51
No not the main VW loom, but the small harness that came with the head unit.
surfdub View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 09 at 17:29
Just what VWmatT28 said...

I swapped the red and yellow wires around in teh ISO connector. If you look closely you can see little 'barbs' on the connections. If you press them in then the wires can be pulled out the back of the plug and then swapped. I see that this was also for a pioneer headunit too, so maybe it's a pioneer thing?
bigrvg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigrvg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 09 at 20:19
Gonna try and fit my headunit tomorrow after the advice from surfdub and vwmat28. Is the worst that can happen a flat battery? If so, shall I just plug it all in and then put a multi meter on the battery and see if theres a drain, if there is just swap the yellow and red wires over and test again?
VWmatT28 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWmatT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 09 at 21:29
I can only speak for the Pioneer head units, but my battery is fine after a month.
Matt
bigrvg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigrvg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 09 at 15:50
I'm gonna wire in my headunit today and I want to check that it isn't draining the battery due to bad wiring. This is what I'll be using below vvv 
   What settings does it have to be on to check a 12v battery? and what sort of figure should I be looking for? Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply