The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

egr block yes or no ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sti 360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: egr block yes or no ?
    Posted: 11 Feb 09 at 20:19
has anybody done a egr block off mod to there t5,ive done search on this and have not found this done to a t5 ,
is it a waste of time
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 09 at 10:30
I blocked mine off a couple of years ago for a few thousand miles, it made no difference to the fuel or the power so I 'unblocked' it.

The exercise was more trouble than it was worth as I dropped the spanner and a blanking plate and had to take off the underside engine cover. Not easy when parked on grass a couple of foot from walls on 2 sides. Confused
Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
smidsy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smidsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 09 at 12:27

like berisford says,  don't block it off expecting any great fuel or performance improvement, but if like me, you don't like the idea of re-burning exhaust gasses then block away.

sti 360 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sti 360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 09 at 14:51
not the best putting shit hot smoke back in,on light throttle in low rpm i can feel a slight change in the engine,it must be were the egr switchs over from ex gas to the clean compressed air,blocking off the egr might stop that
how did you do it,and do you get a cel light up
thanks matt
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 09 at 06:47
I have a vague idea the EGR's function is to reduce combustion temps and therefore quantity of NOx in the exhaust.  It isn't supposed to operate so much in steady highway cruising, more around town.  If you block it off you might fail strict emission testing (if you are ever tested)
touche View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote touche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 09 at 13:16
my egr was sticking a bit despite only 34000miles and a couple of goes at thorough cleaning so i blocked the vacuum feed. MPGs have gone up from 28 to about 35 and the hesitation at light throttle has gone, also boost picks up very quick as none is now bled back through the egr that was sticking and not shutting quickly enough when the throttle was applied.

egr cant really operate at highway cruise as boost is usually higher than the exhaust pressure unless you are really trundling. Therefore i cant see how egr delete would create an overlean mixyure and also increase cruising EGT's. Scaremongering.

Awful eco-device for sure, van drives lovely now and is probably far more environmentally friendly.

85bhp 1.9 T5, egr vacuum disconnected and no eml

to block off you can use a pucker egr delete or even easier is stick a suitably tight fitting ball bearing up the vacuum pipe and refit, or even an old bolt.

hope this helps

Edited by touche - 18 Feb 09 at 13:24
shadowmaker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 09 at 14:44
Yes, block it.
VW T4 2.5TDI 370hp, 750Nm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkSTslJf7Z4
sti 360 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sti 360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 09 at 18:39
any pictures please ,
which pipe is the vac pipe,
VWmatT28 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWmatT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 09 at 19:09
Some pics of the vac pipe that needs to be blocked off would be a great help, and this would be easy to put back come MOT time Smile

Matt
RICK View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 09 at 19:32
will this not harm the van and also can you do it if you have dpf cheers
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 09 at 19:41

Sorry double post Embarrassed

Edited by T5 TDI - 19 Feb 09 at 19:46
2004 2.5 174
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 09 at 19:43
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

I have a vague idea the EGR's function is to reduce combustion temps and therefore quantity of NOx in the exhaust.  It isn't supposed to operate so much in steady highway cruising, more around town.  If you block it off you might fail strict emission testing (if you are ever tested)

I read something like that too.  I don't know anything about combustion temperature but because 90% of my van use is towing I can imagine that gives the engine a harder time so I'm leaving mine for now. 

Greg- I had an Erwin (more or less VW) manual for my old T4 102 that said that the EGR valve was open mainly at cruising speeds (light/medium throttle) and closed at full throttle.  It is also open at idle but closes after a minute or two.  You can watch what the EGR valve working using vag-com and even graph the results against throttle position if you can get your brain around what it all actually means.   

Unless there is something badly wrong any modern diesel should always walk the UK MOT smoke test.  And even if you have blocked off the EGR it should be no different since the test is based around full throttle applications.
2004 2.5 174
VWmatT28 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWmatT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 09 at 21:02
Yes the EGR is used to reduce the temp of combustion = lowering the NOx emissions, when the combustion temps are low you'll get higher CO emissions as well as a load of other gasses in different mixes for both high and low combustion temps, It works in a simular way as the flue gas recerc (FGR) we have in the power station where i work, but its a bit bigger scale than a van engine LOL
Matt
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 09 at 22:27
be handy to know which hose to bloke

I did some research on egr's when the one on my Camaro got fried a long time ago
it was an electronic one wi three solenoids

anyway i dont like the way they work it doesnt make any sense puttin shit air into my combustion chamberAngryLOLLOL
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 09 at 22:44
Clicky
I'm just going to check ETKA to see if they will fir the T5.
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 09 at 22:50
Just had a look at ETKA.

My kit will fit.

1.9 BRR, BRS, AXB and AXC engines
2.5 BNZ and BPC

It's won't fit 2.5 AXD, AXE or BLJ engines.

That make sense to anyone?
RICK View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 09 at 22:53
not to me matey
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 09 at 01:54

I bought one of Mr baxter's EGR blanking plates. It's still in the glovebox cos I've not had time to fit itEmbarrassed. What exactly do you unbolt for it to fit?

Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 09 at 08:47
There is a stainless steel pipe with a 2 bolt flange coming up from somewhere, that bolts to the manifold, undo flange and slide new gasket and plate in, bolt it back up, done.
Dead easy.
But, like the page says I did them for T4's, but after doing a parts search in ETKA then it showed up potentially hundreds of models that the same plate will fit in one position or another!
I've put the gasket part number into ETKA (the one that the bung mimics the shape of) and the engine numbers listed above are what the gasket fits or doesn't fit.
:)
VWmatT28 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWmatT28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 09 at 12:31
Just a quicky the engine no is dead easy to find just ring your stealer and give them your Reg no. and they should give you your engine no. BUT have your chassis no ready just incase!

My kit will fit.

1.9 BRR, BRS, AXB and AXC engines
2.5 BNZ and BPC

It's won't fit 2.5 AXD, AXE or BLJ engines.

Just put my order in for one (i've got a 55 plate 1.9 85bhp swb and has a AXC engine)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>