FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

egr block yes or no ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jason Statham View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Statham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: egr block yes or no ?
    Posted: 07 Nov 10 at 20:21
Hi again folks, is there any way that clean air can also go back down the nickle coated pipe down to the exhaust under big boost, thus losing boost pressure? I have just knocked up a blanking plate out of alloy in the workshop and I think it has definitely improved the whole job! I haven't blanked the Vac pipe cos I understand the theory behind the controlled air shut down and I've heard friends T5s shut down with the sound of a gearbox full of spanners. I haven't tried it in daylight to see if it has reduced my smoke output to that of a small power station.
If it's got tits or wheels it's gonna give ya grief..... if it has both it'll be the death of ya!
Jason Statham View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Statham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 10 at 20:01
I have 3 foot operated controls under my dashboard. The right one looks like a pedal but must be treated like a 2 position switch.On or off don't confuse the matter by treating it like a variable affair!TongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

Edited by Jason Statham - 07 Nov 10 at 20:22
If it's got tits or wheels it's gonna give ya grief..... if it has both it'll be the death of ya!
Happy Yellow View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Yellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 10 at 11:48
I posted this on another thread here:

I blanked my EGR system, and thought that it was saving fuel.  I could not be 100% sure until I gave it a proper test.  Now I have.

Every so often I drive from Riga, Latvia to Bergerac, France.  It's 2900 km door-to-door.  I compared this year's fuel consumption figures with last year's (also in August):

2009 Day 1:  8.9  (89 km/h)
2010 Day 1:  7.5  (87 km/h)

2009 Day 2:  8.9 (104 km/h)
2010 Day 2:  7.8 (100 km/h)

2009 Day 3:  9.3 (85 km/h)
2010 Day 3:  8.2 (81 km/h)

2009 average: 9.0 (92.6 km/h)      in English: 31.39 mpg (57.54 mph)

2010 average: 7.8 (89.3 km/h)      in English: 36.48 mpg (55.49 mph)

Yes, my average speed was down a little, and I can confirm that I drove for 55 minutes longer in 2010 than I did in 2009 (30:50 v 31:45), but that slower average cannot account for all that saved fuel.  Can it?  I saved about 13%  or 36 litres  or  €40!  That's 3 reasonable French meals!

Note:  I've quoted fuel consumption in litres per 100 km as that's how my vehicle works; how I think, and it's esier once you get your head around it.

I've treated each day as equal so as to make calculation more simple.  In fact:

Day 1: 1060 km   Soviet Union: quiet roads with low speed limits and too many police.
Day 2: 1003 km   Germany: all Autobhan.
Day 3: 800 km     France: N roads only, no Autoroute.

Actual total: 2863 km

Also, it's nice only having to fill-up 3 times rather than 4.

2005 Sari Yellow Caravelle 174/AXE 200k miles
downhiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 10 at 22:02
Anyone have more to say on what clonky posted?

I was thinking of fitting this:

Is that a bad idea, as it won't contain the valve that clonky's talking about?
Bog-standard poverty-spec 174ps T5 panel van (black, LWB)
CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLONKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 09 at 14:28
Originally posted by wiganlatic wiganlatic wrote:

Is that all the needle in the valve is used for Clonky? - the smooth stop?

I blocked off my Vacuum tube to the EGR and I haven't noticed any difference to the stop.  Have I just been lucky?
 Before i blanked mine off i wedged the flap fully open with cable ties. When the engine was turned off,especially when well hot after a run, as it came to rest there was a sort of rattling noise,like transmission gears jangling.
When the flap is operational it shuts off the air supply to the engine as its turned off, and you dont get the noise. 
wiganlatic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiganlatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 09 at 12:51
Is that all the needle in the valve is used for Clonky? - the smooth stop?

I blocked off my Vacuum tube to the EGR and I haven't noticed any difference to the stop.  Have I just been lucky?
shadowmaker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 09 at 08:13
Originally posted by Tim the gas Tim the gas wrote:

I got my EGR delete kit ( blanking plate and gasket ) from Brickwerks this week.
I'm gonna fit a new K&N air filter and fit the blank-off this week.
I'm a bit confused now whether the plate will fit my AXE 2.5 engine now.
Only one way to find out- jump in with the spanners. 50/50 chance  I suppose.
I've located it on the top of the engine and it looks a cinch to do the job.
Looking forward to finding out what the difference is.
No more sooty shitty deposits going back into my air intake tract.

I'll let you guys know what I think of the mod after I've had a chance
to drive it around for a few days.

Just stay with the original paper filter. Otherwise you end up having shitty deposits into your intake tract once again. Although this time they aren't sooty unless you drive behind a diesel... Smile
VW T4 2.5TDI 370hp, 750Nm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkSTslJf7Z4
Tim the gas View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim the gas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 09 at 00:33
I got my EGR delete kit ( blanking plate and gasket ) from Brickwerks this week.
I'm gonna fit a new K&N air filter and fit the blank-off this week.
I'm a bit confused now whether the plate will fit my AXE 2.5 engine now.
Only one way to find out- jump in with the spanners. 50/50 chance  I suppose.
I've located it on the top of the engine and it looks a cinch to do the job.
Looking forward to finding out what the difference is.
No more sooty shitty deposits going back into my air intake tract.

I'll let you guys know what I think of the mod after I've had a chance
to drive it around for a few days.
2004 T30 174-AXE- CELTIC MAPPED TO 228 BHP - LWB TORNADO RED PANEL VAN
CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLONKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 09 at 14:55
Same guy reckons it gives a 7 mpg improvement as well.... The valve still needs to operate when the engine is turned off.It shuts off the air supply so that the engine comes to rest smoothly
wiganlatic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiganlatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 09 at 13:39
to quote Touche
"to block off you can use a pucker egr delete or even easier is stick a suitably tight fitting ball bearing up the vacuum pipe and refit, or even an old bolt."

No need for fancy plates, just block the pipe.
mydogisbald View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mydogisbald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 09 at 21:29
Just thought I post my findings. I have a BNZ coded engine. It is not the same lay out as the pictures in the 'How To'. The blanking plate was put in where the upper yellow circle is in this picture;

The lower circle shows the other end of the pipe but is trickier to get to.

Fitting is a breeze, just undo 2 star drive bolts.

I took it for a test and within half a mile the EML came on, flashing intermittently. I took the blanking plate off and the EML disappeared.

The plate was sooty when it was removed, even after that short blast. To be honest I didn't feel any difference in performance or anything else whilst the plate was in but as said I only had it in for a short distance.

Getting it remapped tomorrow anyway so I'll just have to settle for that insteadSmile.

MDIB
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 09 at 21:02
nay probs mateWink
got fotos ready for a door strip how to as soon as i get the chance to postLOL
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
It's our choice: Listen to the whisper or wait for the brick!
05 Shuttle SE 174 Auto LWB
triple View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 09 at 18:23
Onefut, if you block off your egr, how about posting some pics so we can see how its done, we know how detailed your HOW-TO,S are.
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 09 at 10:51
ill have a look in next few days an see wot i can doBig smile
God whispers in our soul & speaks to our heart. When we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick.
sti 360 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sti 360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 09 at 13:03
ive done it ,seems to start better in the morning
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 09 at 18:10
Originally posted by Onefut Onefut wrote:

cudnt see anything like wot i know as a EGR when i looked the other dayEmbarrassed

The bit I blank off is below and just to the left of the oil filler spout.

Shiney bit of pipe comes from a flexi joint and connects to a bigger dark pipe. Big smile

2 x 10mm bolts to remove a brace and 2 x 13mm to disconnect the pipe.

Edited by Berisford - 10 Mar 09 at 18:12
Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 09 at 16:04
True
I suppose i cudWink

gotta find the damn thing firstLOL

cudnt see anything like wot i know as a EGR when i looked the other dayEmbarrassed
Berisford View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berisford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 09 at 18:26
Originally posted by Onefut Onefut wrote:

OK where do i get one from?
went on brickwerks but couldnt find oneConfused

C'mon Onefut, you don't need no bought in part, just knock one up in ya workshop. Thumbs Up
Senate Square, Helsinki, 12 June 1993.
CLONKY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLONKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 09 at 16:27
Onefut View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
I like pink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onefut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 09 at 16:22
OK where do i get one from?
went on brickwerks but couldnt find oneConfused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>