The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diesel leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diesel leak
    Posted: 28 Jan 09 at 23:42
All,

want to ask your advice on a couple of things.

First - leaking diesel.

First picture shows looking down past the fuel pump, you can see the pools of liquid - diesel is dripping down and finally it soaks into the foam inside the engine covers.  It must be very slow because I never noticed anything on the road.  Fuel pump is dry so not coming from here.  As Mike suggested in another post the braided connectors that link the injectors are frayed, if I put pressure on the final hose at injector 6 I can hear vapour hissing out so I think these must be the culprit.  This hopefully is the reason I am getting only 16.5mpg.

I'm just starting out in the world of maintaining cars and my instinct tells me to leave this to the pros.  If it's actually fairly simple can someone please say and point me in the right direction.

s

Second - noticed black oil-gunge on engine below filler cap.

from below

from above

the oil seems to be around the top gasket but only at the back just below the filler cap.  Any ideas for me?  Recently I overfilled the oil - I drained the excess straight away but only after running for a couple of minutes to shift van.  Would that have caused a leak like this?  Nothing seems to be leaking now - no puddles or anything.

As always, your suggestions much appreciated! Smile

Andy
'90 Westfalia Florida (LT 28 2.4td)
t'onion View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t'onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 09 at 02:06

Replace all the diesel return pipes (braided connectors) and any other fuel line that looks like its old or cracked

Overfilling the oil could have caused the rocker cover gasket to start weeping.

I'd be cleaning the engine carefully (not pressure washer) ,try and get as much of the diesel/oil/dirt off. And then look for leaks

LT28 Westfalia FloRida, 2.4 diesel

miserable fooker

thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 09 at 09:46
Your return pipes look pretty shagged if they look like there wet then there probably leaking any car shop will have them I paid £3 but you hve to buy 2 setts as they come in Fives, Your rocker gasket needs replacing as it looks like its hardened and is leaking. Both these jobs are dead easy even if your new to spannering
Terry
2.4 td high top home conversion And2.4td LWB high top van
mike38 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 09 at 13:32
Your injectors look a bit damp so maybe the return lines are leaking. mine had oil on the head where yours is it was leaking from the rocker gasket and onto the top of the inlet manifold then down same as yours but it could be there from splilling it as you put some in .Also if you are giving it a service might be worth doing the heater plugs as they look old and rusty on your pics.

Edit i also see a brass sealing washer down in that pool of diesel on your first pic it aint missing from 1 of your fuel lines is it?

Mike

Edited by mike38 - 29 Jan 09 at 13:34
andy7 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 01:14
Thanks very much guys for all of that advice - I will call the garage and cancel the booking and have a crack at those return pipes.  The gasket sounds like it probably needs doing -will clean up for now and keep an eye.

Mike - are the heater plugs the round things the injectors go into?  Is that easy to do?  Also that washer you noticed - I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the fuel lines, where would I look to see if that is missing?

Many thanks Thumbs Up
Andy
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 09:10
No the heatetr plugs are the small plugs under the injectors conected by a strip of copper and a wire going to a small box on the edge of the engine bay(passenger side} To check where the washers come from Follow the pipes conecting the fuel filter to the pump there should be a washer under the conection where the bolt joins it to the pump
Terry
andy7 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 11:28
cheers Terry will check that out.

Hey btw can anyone recommend a good book on how engines work for beginners?

Andy.
thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 20:34
Haynes do a manual called Diesel engines which explains the basics
2.4 td high top home conversion And2.4td LWB high top van
 Post Reply Post Reply