The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Project, 1Z TDI install.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 10:45
Great news!
Van just passed mot.

I will be up at van fest inside one of the big halls with the van.
see you there!
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
ELVIS View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Silence is golden, gaffa tape is silver

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELVIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 10:56
 Gret news chap! Deffo want more pics- think this thread is one of the forums most understated!
Www.justgiving.com/ELVIS-SUMMERS

Camping Bazz View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camping Bazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 11:00
Looking forward to see this van at Vanfest
andy1300gt View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy1300gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 16:37
Well done!
It's all rust in the end....

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
76 XJC 4.2 Daimler - Gone!
72 Austin 1300
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 16:47
Many thanks to all of the people who showed an interest in my tdi project at van fest.

I will get around to adding the remaining photos of the build up for all of those who could not make the show and I'll also get some fuel consumption figures to make some sense of the conversion.

Tim.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy1300gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 10 at 16:51
Whats it go like then? Good for crusing? Tell us....gwan

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
72 Austin 1300
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 10 at 22:25
Originally posted by VW Nerd VW Nerd wrote:

Last night I put all of the gear ratios and tyre size into one of the on line gear ratio calculators.
The results are as follows with std 185 14 tyres.
1500 rpm 5th 44mph
2000 rpm 5th 59mph
2500 rpm 5th 73mph
3000 rpm 5th 88mph
3500 rpm 5th 103mph
4000 rpm 5th 117mph Not sure if this speed is possible with the high rpm and the wind resistance of the van. (Time will tell)
The van drove well on my way to the mot today. Looking forward to racking up some miles.

Cruses very well at 2,500 rpm, pushed it up to 3000 rpm with no bother.
Of on a Europe trip soon, so will get some good mpg figures from that.

One thing is for sure, it should be happy to sit at 2,500 all day without any over heating problems associated with using std VW transmissions and over reving the engine by a further 1000+ rpms.

Edited by VW Nerd - 30 Mar 11 at 09:19

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
BUS.BOY View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BUS.BOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 10 at 15:59
Originally posted by VW Nerd VW Nerd wrote:

[QUOTE=VW Nerd]
 on a Europe trip soon, so will get some good mpg figures from that.

cu on the autobarn mate
************bristol t3 racers************
T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 10 at 00:36
ive just read through this thread for the 4th time..
worth reading..
few questions.
ive seen that with a inline 4 engine bolted to it, the box is better shifted forward.
but..
im going audi 2.8 v6.

at vanfest there was a van in the show area running this engine.. there seemed a good amount of space at the rear of the engine.

how much more rearward movement do you think would be required so that the cross member wont need cutting.

ive got a very nice aap box in bits that i could use but will it last...
 (not asking you that one..lol just a chuck it in the air type coment) 

i know that these un1 boxes have been used for some big power..

as the 2.8 v6 engine ive got has 175bhp as standard.. i think i could do with a box thats going to last.

Edited by T3ADICT - 17 Sep 10 at 00:38
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 10 at 08:24
you *might* get away with not cutting the cross member but it would be very very tight - it does move forward quite a bit.  Tim would be able to say I guess, dunno if he moved in on the french filth bus.

Bloody nice set up and tempted for my TDi at some point in the future, not cheap but good value I reckon. getting a gearbox built isn't cheap and still not all that strong.

You might find that the AAP is fine, it depends how you use it.  Mega torque of TDi's is a box killer, might be fine with a V6 petrol, but then again if you're dumping the clutch and spinning up all the time then its bound to be dead soon.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 10 at 10:03
[QUOTE=VW Nerd]

undefined

/QUOTE]

Look at the detail in this picture. You can see the position of the original cross member and the new one in front of it. This should give some idea as to how much distance there is between the cross members.

I chose to fit the engine in the factory position on std T3 JX mounts. In my mind the conversion on my bus was the gear box not the engine (which is fitted with std parts in the std location)
The gear box is the odd part out in this conversion not the engine.

If you intend to use an engine that needs to have its own unique mounts and sub frame made up then I would suggest that you fit the engine and gear box pair in a place that save making extra work for your self.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 10 at 13:53
Hi Tim,
Reading this with great interest after talking to Charlie at VF, as I reckon my SA really could do with longer legs, however chopping the bus about is NOT an option Wink
(I fully appreciate what your project aims were and after all, the driveshafts need to - more or less - line up)
It has however got me thinking about another alternative gearbox and crownwheel/pinions...
I should have had a look at your van at VF, didn't realize what was in it!
P.S. Out of interest, when did the UN-1 stop being produced and how many are out there?

Edited by silverbullet - 28 Sep 10 at 13:56
Have I missed anything?
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 10 at 14:34
The GTA turbo and the A610 were produced from 1986 to 1995.
There are many other vehicles that use the UN1 inc 21 and 25 turbo.
These boxes seem to come up on auction sites quite often.

There is a guy with a bay window running an Audi box upside down. Not sure what he did about mounting the engine to the bell housing.

There are many options that can be made to fit, but all this work costs time and money.

Good luck with your project!

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
silverbullet View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie
Ingenieur

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 10 at 15:31
Upside down? Dead I think we can do better than that. A visit to the gearcutters is needed after I get my hands on something like an A6 petrol quattro gearbox Wink
Have I missed anything?
rallycrosser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rallycrosser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 10 at 20:43
Hi very interesting thread i must say, now here is a question for you i am planning on building a mk4 vw golf with a 4.2 v8 audi engine midmounted in it, do you think your adapter plate would work for this? I kow i could go to a crowd like elite racing transmissions or hewland and get a sequintial box but i would prefer to get the car built and test other areas like handleing first before spending big bucks, can you tell me more about how you have done this and what changes had to be made?
tram-man View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tram-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 10 at 21:49
Just use the Audi gearbox. Google Audi transaxle / mid engine. 

'97 A4 AFN | '60 T1 ratlook | '57 Oval | Dec '82 T3 Westfalia 1Y+DK+215/60x16
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 10 at 12:25
For those that never made van fest and didn't get to see the van finished, here are a few more photos of the intercooler instal.

The van is now used as my daily driver after a shake down in the form of a drive through France, Belgium, Germany and Switzerland.

Fuel consumption seems good with over 450 miles from a tank of fuel. I will be topping up the tank, zeroing the trip gauge and putting some miles on the bus, then refilling to the top to see what miles per gallon this bus actually delivers at 70mph.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy1300gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 10 at 12:30
Hi Tim, still would like to go over sme figures with you regarding the transplant. I know it is all time and money. It's just getting things straight in me head!

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
72 Austin 1300
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 10 at 12:35
What do you need to know?

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 10 at 13:14
You may know the answer to this, Tim, so I`ll ask. Got a 21 turbo box with the high diff. also a master with a low one with wider ratios but a near identical top gear, perhaps good for the strip! The planet gears are apparently different.(both still intact). I have to swap the diff. over in the 21. Do you know whether the 21 crown and pinion will fit the van box or the van cluster in the turbo? Just a thought might save me having a too high first gear. The mtdi has tested well and is asking to go in the van
the last one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>