The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Project, 1Z TDI install.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 10 at 22:35
just been looking through thanks for the link just want to know wear did ya get the oil return pipe from or did ya get it made?
famous phil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote famous phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 10 at 21:52
great project , this transmission looks spot on for the next diesel project I'm looking at building V6 2.7 , would think would be able to find a decent size clutch for the job ,,used to be able to get adaptors for V8 engines to fit ,

Edited by famous phil - 04 Mar 10 at 21:53
Prototype automotive engineering design and development
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 10 at 06:43
What gearing/wheel,tyre size  you using on the 100 machine?
the last one
Duxforddubz View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duxforddubz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 10 at 15:15
 Just having a read through, did have a word with you at vanfest last year. Is that a second cross member you have added to take your new gearbox mount? Am i right in thinking that your new tdi input shaft is a simple swap, is the thread compatible? where did you source the shaft please? I am doing a tdi swap, dub to dub, but am interested in these boxes as i have an adapter to join one to a rover v8, so this is a mix of questions, LOL, sorry bout that!
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 10 at 19:31
Originally posted by Duxforddubz Duxforddubz wrote:

Just having a read through, did have a word with you at vanfest last year. Is that a second cross member you have added to take your new gearbox mount? Am i right in thinking that your new tdi input shaft is a simple swap, is the thread compatible? where did you source the shaft please? I am doing a tdi swap, dub to dub, but am interested in these boxes as i have an adapter to join one to a rover v8, so this is a mix of questions, LOL, sorry bout that!

I had to cut out some of the standard cross member to make room for the longer gear box and I made up a new cross member to put the strength back into the van.
It might be possible to fit the gear box to the standard mount, but you will have to move the engine mounts on the factory engine support tubes and move the exhaust silencer to allow the engine to be moved tight to the rear valance.
The input shafts for the vw transmission can be fitted into the Ren-ault box as the input shaft sleeve uses a similar spline with both boxes.

The shaft and the oil return are from germany. vwt3umbau. Very quick service from these guys.

The cross member is now fitted and all electrical cables, pipes and handbrake cables fitted.

I have turned my attention to doing some mot type welding on the bus now.

Sorry about the photo quality, black was not such a good choice of colour.

undefined

Edited by VW Nerd - 01 Apr 10 at 19:32
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 10 at 09:42
I have had some time to do a bit more work on the bus and have also repainted the panel work underneath to make it clearer to see.
I am hoping to get the engine running before I take on any extra work.
I have been connecting up all of the wires to the std T3 petrol wiring loom and will have to add a few extra cables for glow plug light, clutch switch and road speed sensor.

Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
shrek View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shrek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 10 at 22:06
i like it very nice done more than i could do  ?? see your putting loom in are you putting the ecu in air box area? i'm planning on putting mine under the rear seat just thinking of keeping it dry or do you think i'm worrying to much have not got as far as you but my word its getting there keep the good work up nice to see it runningTongue
IF ONLY IT WOULD GO RIGHT EVERY TIME ???
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 10 at 22:05
Lost the original key for the the Golf TDI during the build up (one of those chipped keys with the immobiliser built into the ecu)
Well a very nice man came to my workshop today with a lap top and made me a new chip for the transponder and now my van in running. Happy days.

Still need to sort out the intercooler and do a spot more welding before I get a new mot.
It's very refreshing to at last see the light at the end of the tunnel.

If any one has the misfortune of loosing a chipped key for there tdi project or there daily driver then give me a shout and I will do my best to get your key sorted.

Tim

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 10 at 22:10
Some of the 2.1 petrol vans had the ecu behind the left hand rear light before VW moved it to the new location under the back seat.
I guess that time will tell whether the location behind the rear light was a bad move or not.
I had thought about putting the ecu inside the van, but as it is a panel van and will be given a hard life with engines and other heavy things being thrown into the back I decided to take my chances with it behind the rear light.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
andy1300gt View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy1300gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 10 at 14:11
Hi Tim, when can I come and have a chat?
It's all rust in the end....

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
76 XJC 4.2 Daimler - Gone!
72 Austin 1300
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 10 at 15:54
Give me a call. Number is on the bottom of this thread.

Tim.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
andy1300gt View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy1300gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 10 at 10:06
Is it on the road then? 
It's all rust in the end....

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
76 XJC 4.2 Daimler - Gone!
72 Austin 1300
Carrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 10 at 22:52
Hi nice conversion that g box looks fantastic! just wondering is that an abs sensor fitted to your drive shaft?
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 10 at 19:38
Just ordered some silicone hoses to plumb in the intercooler which is now located below the lower tray area behind the near side rear light. The plan is to blank off the opening which would normally allow cold air to enter the engine bay. This should then force plenty of air over the intercooler. The off side outer cill is now fitted and things are getting much closer toward MOT time.
More pic to follow.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 14:38
So intercooler mounted behind ns light. opening to engine bay blanked. Will pipes feed through this blanking plate? Is fresh air feed for air filter still coming from here too? Are you gonna fit a leccy fan or rely on natural air flow, and where will the "used" air go to? I'm about to attempt same/similar, so intrigued. I have a MK3 tdi intercooler to utilise.
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 20:09
If my bus were a bay window, I would be the battery tray that was cut out. The intercooer is laid flat mounted from the underside of the van. the engine bay will be blanked off, so all air will go down the rear corner and pass over the cooler then exit out the bottom of the van. Pictures to follow.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
timmythedog View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

westy fetishist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmythedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 10 at 21:23
Aah. Got you. look forward to the pictures. Smile Also considering chopping that panel back to slot cooler  in and feed one hose under the chassis leg.
Syncro doka td
T4 Multivan Generation, 151
89 Caravelle Exclusive 2.1
Caravelle GL AFN tdi
53 plate T4 Panel.888 special x factor.
88 DG Panel(uncut)
calypso Atlantic pop.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 10 at 22:18
The bus is now due its mot and is booked in for 1st September. I'm looking forward to putting some miles on it before vanfest.
Need to sort out my computer to get some more photos up. I hope to get that done soon.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 09:31
Last night I put all of the gear ratios and tyre size into one of the on line gear ratio calculators.
The results are as follows with std 185 14 tyres.
1500 rpm 5th 44mph
2000 rpm 5th 59mph
2500 rpm 5th 73mph
3000 rpm 5th 88mph
3500 rpm 5th 103mph
4000 rpm 5th 117mph Not sure if this speed is possible with the high rpm and the wind resistance of the van. (Time will tell)
The van drove well on my way to the mot today. Looking forward to racking up some miles.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 10 at 09:57
Are you bringing it up to Vanfest Tim?

Have you got a stall next to Simon again?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>