The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Project, 1Z TDI install.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 09:33
""
The original plan was to make up a pair on new engine mounts that would allow me to move the engine, to fit it at 90 deg to the back of the van but this would have caused fitting issues with a lot of the ancillaries within the engine bay.    """            90 deg to back of van? Sorry don`t really understand that.      Rolo
the last one
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 09:41
^^  WHS ^^

do you mean using the whole engine and gearbox from the donor??  
T3 1981 Westy Vanagon - thinks lubricant is a fuel
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 10:02
Hi Rolo, the diesel engines fitted into the T3 are fitted at an angle and are not perfectly in line. The rear pulley is over to the right and the gear box nose is over to the left.

mr hutch, not sure if you have read all of the posts.
My conversion involves using a TDI golf engine code 1Z taken form the car shown in the photos, this is mounted to a R enault transaxle (gearbox) by way of an original VW diesel bell housing and an adaptor plate that I have had machined. Pictures of all parts are shown on this thread.

It fair to say that sometime the detail is lost in translation.
I hope this has answered some of your questions more fully.
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 10:16
ahhh, I see what you mean now... forgot that the axis of engine and gearbox is not exactly perpendicular to chassis rails.

I understand where you are going with it!  Just thought you may have pondered doing a full engine and gearbox swap  at some time previous - making a subframe that will bolt into the rear of the T3 - obviously losing a helavalot of metal round the rear bulkhead..  
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 10:16
Thanks
the last one
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 11:09
Made up the engine mount this morning, so here is a few pics of that.

Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
mrhutch View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
the ginger princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 09 at 11:39
sweet...  nice work
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 09 at 08:14
Looking for a box still, locally only masters and espaces around. The master is one of the stronger versions but the diff. is a bit low and complicated to swop. I notice you mention early espaces; any idea year? I`ve found some early ones that look similar but seem too short and sparce on the finning/strengthening. Cheers, rolo.
the last one
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 09 at 09:27
Not sure which Espace, but I guess that it would have been one fitted with a V6.
The other box which looks similar is a NG if I remember correctly.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 09 at 06:35
Thanks I`ll check that out.
the last one
andy1300gt View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy1300gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 09 at 15:46
Hi VW Nerd, love the UN1 chartWink I am following your conversion, will be in touch again soon. Getting Doka painted
It's all rust in the end....

89 T3 Doka - AFN TDI
76 XJC 4.2 Daimler - Gone!
72 Austin 1300
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 09 at 17:06
Gear linkage now mocked up and working, I'll do some refining and then post up some more photos.
Then I will move onto the electrical side of the instal.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
rolo View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 09 at 21:30
Are the drive shaft flanges the ones sold to fit Ford? Been asked £200 for a pair is that about right?
the last one
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 09 at 22:34
The shafts flanges that I use are for the GT 40 kit car market. Be aware that different companies make them in different lengths.

The gear linkage is now all working and I have now started to build the wiring loom to fit the bus.
I will be using the electronic pump and all of the wiring needed from the golf to make this tdi conversion.

I am also thinking of using the larger turbo from the JX 1.6 turbo diesel on its manifold. Has any one else used this set up with any success?

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 09 at 22:49
linkage looks good!  Will you be able to weather protect the rose joints or is it not needed?

JX turbo will be good, if you use the manifold you can obviously bolt a standard exhaust on it (but dunno if your engine position has changed with the gearbox?).  Set up on mine is that, but a slightly bigger hybrid turbo...
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 09 at 23:19
I have kept the engine in the standard position to make life easier.
It was much easier for me to cut the body of the van and do some fabrication to accommodate the gearbox than to modify all other parts in the engine bay to fit the gearbox.
Not sure if a large dollop of grease will be enough to protect the rose joints, but they are inexpensive and very easy to replace if they do give problems.
If I don't get the milage out of this set up I will add some rubber protection over it all.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Camping Bazz View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camping Bazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 09 at 23:46
Im loving this thread so keep the pics coming Thumbs Up
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 10 at 22:00
Latest update

I spent the money on an HA projekt Near side engine mount to get the project moving on and also bought a few other bits that I needed.
I now have the new input shaft for the 228 mm tdi clutch
A new tdi clutch
A new thrust bearing which has to be the VW T3 unit not the tdi unit that comes with the new clutch
An oil return line for the turbo, this is tdi specific as the JK turbo has a different fitting on the turbo for the oil return line.
I also bought a switch mounting plate to use for the clutch switch (I will be using a relay attached to the rear brake light unit to avoid running extra wire to the front of the van) Should to the same job.

The lugs for TDC need to be cut off the clutch cover plate

Don't forget to mark the new tdc point to line up with the bell housing mark.
Its not very visible in this shot but there is a chisel mark under all that tipex.

New input shaft fitted, this is the tdi specific item as used in the VW T3 transmission.

The new oil return line with different flange to the JX turbo oil return flange

I also had some steel flanges made up to use to fit the flexi exhaust joiner to the std JX exhaust centre pipe, I have spares if any one needs any.

Clutch switch fitting bracket complete with VW Audi logo????????

All engine and gear box specific parts are now fitted, soon be time to attach the wiring loom to the vans loom and get the beast running.
mmm...

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 10 at 20:26
A few more photos of the parts that I built this evening.
The flexi for the exhaust made from the old golf exhaust flange at the turbo end and the new laser cut flange to join the JX middle pipe.

I also made up the stabiliser bar for the clutch slave cylinder bracket.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
pearce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 10 at 13:03
All looking good Tim, i have just put a flexi in the middle of my exhaust pipe( came off Big Steve's old transit).
I also now have the suspension off the Black pickup of Steve's sat in my garage, Whats he like!!!.
Cheers Gary
I try to keep smiling even when asleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>