The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Project, 1Z TDI install.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Project, 1Z TDI install.
    Posted: 27 Jan 09 at 22:27
Those of you who know me are aware that I am always working on some kind of project or two in the garage. Including building front and rear disc brake kits, speed sensitive electric power steering alternative engine installs and now I've decided to do a long over due 1Z TDI  conversion into a T3 panel van.
The plan is to use a ren ault UN1 gearbox from a ren ault alpine to keep the cost down an hopefully give a bit more reliability than the std vw transporter transaxle.

So far I have a 2.1 petrol van, minus its engine and gearbox.

I bought a running golf mk3 with the plan to remove the engine and all related wiring needed to fit into the van.

I now have a UN1 gearbox. 
I plan to remove the std bell housing and fit one from a T3 diesel along with the diesel input shaft.

Some pictures of the work so far.

Since these photos were taken I stripped the wiring loom down to the bare essentials to run the engine, removing all the stuff to do with lighting, turn signals, cooling heating fans, windscreen wipers and so on.
There was not much left of the std loom once I had finished.

Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
www.ultimate-engineering.co.uk
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
pearce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 09 at 22:50
That's what i like to see a man hard at work.don't stop now.Smile
Cheers Gary
I try to keep smiling even when asleep.
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 09 at 22:51
cool, looking forward to seeing this fella
Full Throttle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 09 at 23:42
Brings back memories. Thumbs Up

Have fun.Smile

Looking forward to the gearbox, nice to see someone trying something new.
No use to me now though as i have a syncro, wish someone would come up with a syncro solution for the gearbox's. LOL

HOT 1200 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOT 1200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 16:51
Hi Tim, Are you sure its a 1Z engine in the MK3 golf?

My TDI came from a mk3 golf, its an AHU code........???

GaV
Bigger is not always better!
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 19:49
Hi hot 1200, As this is my first of what I hope will be many TDI conversions, I thought it best to go with the 1Z to keep things simple, although I will be looking to fit an AFN at some point in the future, to see what extra wiring is involved.
I think that the AHU is similar to the 1Z @90 bhp.

Back to the project
After an hour or so with a stanley knife and some careful marking of the cable ends with masking tape and a pen, I made some sense of what went where, what was needed and what was fit for the bin.
This is what you get!

A picture of what you don't need from your donor cars loom.   Hmm!!!

This is the bits you do need, I was surprised at how little is left after all the non engine stuff was removed

This is the 1Z up close and personal

And this is the van that will become project TDI

This van was originally powered by a 2.1 petrol flat 4

Edited by VW Nerd - 31 Jan 09 at 21:55
Developing parts for the VW T3 TDI market Inc flipped audi gearbox install parts.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
''We fuck like monkeys, yes?''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 09 at 20:19
Interested in this, i'm about to do the same conversion!

Expect my call Buddy!!
The bigger the Orange, the bigger the peel.
Cliffbase View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
''We fuck like monkeys, yes?''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cliffbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 09 at 08:26
How you getting on Tim? started on mine now...
The bigger the Orange, the bigger the peel.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 09 at 18:14
Due to other work commitments my own project has been put on hold for a few weeks, although I am still giving time to the planning of the install!
I will be posting any news as it breaks.
Thanks for asking about my project, I hope all goes well with yours.
What are your gearbox/ratio plans?

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 09 at 19:26
I finally got back into the garage for a few hours over the weekend and made a little more progress with the tdi project.
Time was spent mocking up the adaptor for the vw diesel bell housing to ren-ault gear box.

Here are hardboard templates for the vw and ren-alt bell housings, these will be used to set up the alignment of the ren-alt gearbox to the vw bell housing.

I had hoped to keep this as thin as possible to reduce the overall length of the engine and gear box,

but due to the length of the vw input shaft, being about an inch longer than the ren ault shaft I was left with no choice other than to make a thicker adaptor.

The adaptor was made from wood to keep the project moving on, while I wait for the machine shop to make one for me in metal.

All is working out quite well at the moment.

A little bit of time was spent looking at the engine to see what parts need to be removed to make way for the standard T3 parts.

The cooling hoses on the block need to be changed because they foul with the engine mount.

Also the oil cooler needs to be turned as the pipes need to face away from the engine block and not toward the water pump as it does on the TDI.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
jamie masters View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie masters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 09 at 00:18
HI! new to this game. got a T3 td jx and a 1995 tdi golf and thinking of doing the same. can you usethe jx pump to make it mtdi?? The electrics is putting me of. can you shed some more light. many thanks j. good luck.
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 09 at 08:47
there's loads of stuff up here which talks about tdi conversions etc, have a search around.  putting a JX pump onto a tdi isn't going to give you much performance even if it did manage to start, it does't put anywhere near the amount of fuel pressure required.  The electrics aren't too bad if you have everything there.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie masters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 09 at 11:31
I have all the mks golf here. so could do wiyh a list of stuff i can use and a list of stuff from the old jx to use. many thanks j.
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 09 at 17:09
seriously, do a search fella...
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie masters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 09 at 23:30
thanks. not good with computer but thanks for the help.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 09 at 19:03
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/VehicleSpecific/T3/info/mods/aaz.htm
This will give you a whole lot of info regarding fitting later golf engine into your bus. The set up between AAZ 1.9 td is very similar to the 1z tdi.
I hope this helps answer a few of your questions.
As mentioned the jx pump on 1z will not give correct fuelling for tdi and my guess is you will hole a piston due to over heating.
Tim.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
Mannlicher View Drop Down
PROBATION
PROBATION

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mannlicher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 09 at 19:50
My guess is if he cant get around the imobilizer wired into the original golf circuit he will be taking it all out again like i didDisapprove

I put a spanking new engine in which i have since sold got all the wiring out of a golf complete inc the accelorator potentiometer the matching ignition key and ring got it to fire up ok then the imobiliser clicked in from the door switch and shut down the ecu could not get anyone to sort it out so eventually ripped the whole ferking lot out as i had enough and stuck an aaz in it with a mechanical pump. if he gets it going without assistance or a special modified ecu to bypass the imobiliser i will platt shit

Edited by Mannlicher - 14 Apr 09 at 07:06
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamie masters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 09 at 23:45
hows The van comming along? Ive the old jx engine out and have change over all the parts and have got the tdi in the van. Got all the loom out of the golf and will be  shortly starting to wire it up. fingers cross! cheers j.
VW Nerd View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VW Nerd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 09 at 13:51
As usual work commitments do get in the way of progress, but I have been trying to keep the project moving on.
I look forward to seeing the platting of shit, not seen that done before.
Back to the project.
A local machine shop have made me up the spacers that are needed to allow the std T3 drive shafts to reach the gear box drive flanges. The UN1 box is narrower between the flanges. I will be using new replacement gear box flanges that are made for fitting the UN1 into GT40 kit cars.
Also I dropped off the diesel T3 and UN1 bell housings off to the machine shop to allow them to plot the positions off all of the fixing holes in relation to the input shaft. I will use this info to get the alloy adaptor plate made up. This will allow the Diesel T3 bell housing to fit to the UN1 gearbox, leaving the input shaft in the correct position.
I hope to get this part made up in the next few weeks and then get into the fitting of engine and box into the van.

Tim Shettle
Bristol

Tel/txt 07810 320 464

AFN TDI Panel Van
BRICKIE-PETE View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRICKIE-PETE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 09 at 11:23

Hi bud, conversion looks good! I follow with much interest!

Question, is the UN1 gearbox from the french filth sited the same way as the vw box?

I've heard you can turn these box's to make them drive the other way!!!!???

More of a query than anything!!

I'm getting longer final drive box for my TD van coz it rev's its tits off!LOLLOL
You can sleep in your van but you can't go to the tip your house???????????????
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>