The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dimensions of an LT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dimensions of an LT
    Posted: 25 Jan 09 at 12:38
Hi all, im currently on my second T3 (caravelle, this one)..but ive always been interested in LTs.  They look so big to me and as im used to driving a small "brick", i wondered if anyone could give me the dimensions of an LT? - i dont know a huge amount about them.

The questions id like to ask are
whats the average MPG?
The different types - like LT35 etc? how many are there!
I noticed someone had a poptop on theres?  Is that possible, if you get a non high top LT?
What would be a reasonable price to pay for an LT in average to good condition?
Any specific danger spots on an LT?  arches? leaf springs? things like that?

Thanks everyone - any help gratefully received!

Cheers, Emma

AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 09 at 23:11
Hi Emma,

The number after LT denotes the maximum weight of the vehicle in my case 2.8 tonnes and go upto 5 tonnes on an LT50. So LT28, LT31, LT35, LT45, LT50.

Dimensions vary from 4.8 - 5.5m in lenght and about 2m wide, I'll update this later when I get my manual out of the van.

MPG varies on the engine size and type typically 17-35, petrol engines being the thirsty ones but they can be converted to LPG to give about the same economy as a diesel.

Got a pop top myself, advantages are a bit better economy, easier to heat.
Disadvantages, you can't fit a shower or have roof storage or a bed over the cab etc.
My pop top is also quite heavy and is a 2 person job really.

Price varies on age and condition as usual, I paid £780 but an identical van went for £2000.
It had been garaged since new though.

No particular danger spots that I'm aware of, some parts can be hard to find but a post on the forum usually results in a solution.

Hope this helps, any further questions just ask.

Cheers

Andy
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Emmz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 09 at 23:40
Hi Andy - thanks for the info!
Did you have the poptop fitted or did it come like that?  Ive not seen many with poptops.
Do you find you're still able to stand up in the LT with the poptop down? (im only 5ft so could be different for me!)..

Cheers, Emma
Baxter View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Scruff Daddy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 09 at 00:00
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 09 at 09:24
My poptop was professionally fitted from new. I've only seen 2 mine and the other Pampas Nevade conversion that went for 2K.
The clearance inside is 5` 1" with the top down and over 6` 6" with it up.
I'm 6` and to honest I'd buy a high top next time around for that reason, but I'm too attached to sell the old bus now.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

petergeeky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petergeeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 09 at 19:31
Hi, here's a simple picture with the LT35 LWB dimensions - might be helpful.

Rgds
Peter.

Emmz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 09 at 09:57
Thanks geeky :)
ZUB View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

early morning troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 09 at 16:19
I'm a bell end
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 09 at 16:51
who's getting 35mpg Andy? i struggle to get near 25 with my 2.4td...
"LT Massive"
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 09 at 16:59
Can't remember mate, have a look at previous topics on mpg.
I'm getting close to 40mpg on gas, but I don't get the pulling power of diesels.

Might be worth a pm to Thal (Terry), cos his van runs as sweet as any diesel I've ever come across.

Edited by AndyT - 27 Jan 09 at 17:13

petergeeky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petergeeky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 09 at 19:09
Originally posted by AndyT AndyT wrote:

Can't remember mate, have a look at previous topics on mpg.
I'm getting close to 40mpg on gas, but I don't get the pulling power of diesels.

Might be worth a pm to Thal (Terry), cos his van runs as sweet as any diesel I've ever come across.

Hi Andy,

when you say you're getting close to 40mpg on gas, I presume you mean a bit under 20mpg but at half the price of petrol?

Cheers,
Peter.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 09 at 19:20
yup, can run the bus as an everyday vehicle now.

thal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 09 at 10:13
I just averaged 28 mpg from Bolton to Newport and back most of it on motorways but I did get a little help slipstreaming a mate of mine in his truck from Bolton to Brum at 55mph but on the way back I sat 65-70mph (needed a shag) so Im happy with 28mpg
Terry
2.4 td high top home conversion And2.4td LWB high top van
MostlyMonki View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MostlyMonki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 09 at 10:47
yeah fair enough, i could probably average that if i didnt rag it lol.
"LT Massive"
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 09 at 21:13
mine used to get 35.

since the exhaust fell off and its fallen out of being regularly serviced (done 150 miles a day for the last month or so, so its probably due one) its dropped back to about 30.
bushbandit View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bushbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 09 at 18:56
oh man this is really depressing hearing you guys talk about sitting on 65-70mph, i cant even get mine to 65!!!!  and as for 30mpg holy crap,  i think i can do 250miles on a full tank on the motorway sitting at 50mph, dont know what mpg that is but it doesnt sound like much.
Now i guess thou you guys wouldnt have a full tank of water when traveling at those speeds or the fridge full and cupboars stockd with food, which adds weight.  So maybe if i get rid of that i might get it up to 65mph......ah who am i kidding, maybe i should check if the brakes are jamd on.
1985 LT31 LWB 2.4D, Diamond RV custom conversion, with all the whistles and bangs!!
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 09 at 19:42

bear in mind, mine's a pretty much empty low-roof minibus with 6 seats and 1 bed, very little else...

bushbandit View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bushbandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 09 at 22:05
yeh cheers mate, I think it is cos my van is a little on the heavy side.  It does have a lot in it, i mean bugger me its even got a uv bug zapper built in, when will i ever use that??, its just adding weight!!!  I dont mind sitting at 55mph, thats all my last van could do before it shook apart.

Edited by bushbandit - 31 Jan 09 at 22:06
1985 LT31 LWB 2.4D, Diamond RV custom conversion, with all the whistles and bangs!!
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 09 at 00:30
Weight is certainly an issue but it might be worth changing the filters and putting in some injector cleaner or having them serviced.
The latter would cost a bit but if you are getting poor mpg then you'd soon get the money back if the spray pattern was off or they were gummed up.

clownspicy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clownspicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 09 at 12:18
Anyone got any mpg improvement using Slick50 or equivalents?  Tried it once years ago but my driving patterns were so variable its hard to compare one week with the next.
1990 VW LT Florida 2.4td

1968 Citro-en DS

1998 Vespa ET4
 Post Reply Post Reply