The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bonnet Bra

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastfilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bonnet Bra
    Posted: 20 Jan 09 at 19:38
I am gutted today as I have found my first mark on my van
it is a stone chip on the bonnet only very small but I luv my van so much its well rather sad

So I am considering a bonnet bra ! but am worried that it may do more damage than good ? flapping about or getting dirt down the back ? has anyone had any experience using one daily ? are they a pain taking on and off to wash ?

I quite like the van-x.co.uk bonnet bra but seems cheep ! are they any good or does anybody have any better ideas ?

Cheers for any help
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 09 at 07:37
Lots of people in Oz seem keen on the plastic film protectors (can't chafe on the paint, don't change the appearence).  You do need to prepare the paint surface very well beforehand, otherwise you glue on whatever crud you haven't cleaned off.
VWT5 Vanman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWT5 Vanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 09 at 14:29
Yes ive been looking into these too, I know a company on ebay who sell leather ones that wrap around the bonnet, but dont actually stick to it. £40.00.
fastfilli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastfilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 09 at 22:11
I assume your talking about the van-x bonnet bra's as they sell them for £40 on ebay ?
VWT5 Vanman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWT5 Vanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 09 at 03:12
Yes I am, they look ok.
oddboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oddboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 09 at 09:04
i dont get this bonnet bra thing, its an american thing that should have stayed in america
imho it spoils the lines of the van
gone to the darkside
simon bartlett View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bartlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 09 at 09:47
Why do you want to buy a nice van and then cover it up. Dont make sense to me.

Whats the point in having a perfect bonnet with no stone chip if you aint going to see it.
Caravelle 174 SE ( Towing a twin axle Burstner caravan 2000kg (Sorry))
fastfilli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastfilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 09 at 15:08
Yer I seem to have got over my bonnet chip now a friend suggested that I putt a bit of black shoe polish on the chip then rub off the excess, seems to have done the job for now ! I don't think I will be bothering with a bonnet bra . I like to see my van shine to much to cover it up.
-wookey- View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -wookey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 09 at 19:32
Get a Halfords touch up kit for it, then just touch them in as you get them.

The key to a nice repair is not too much paint, build it up gradually until it fills the chip. And even if you do put too much paint on it can be wet sanded and machine polished.

starsKEY View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starsKEY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 09 at 19:09
I've got a chequered bra on mine. Love it. Its not to protect it as much as I like the look of it. I bought it initially to protect it went I did a cross europe trip and have left it on since. I put some protective film on the bonnet first. You either like them or you don't. I like mine. I appreciate it's not for everyone tho'! 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ihatesatnav/1688245983/
Its not Aircooled, It's Airconditioned.
Shamrockez View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrockez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 09 at 16:22
We have one for Widget:

Mostly used for long/motorway journeys... or at least that was the plan lol.
fastfilli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastfilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 09 at 17:52
So how do you guys get on with them ? does it leave any marks on the bonnet after use ? do you take the bonnet bra off to clean the van or just leave in place ? If you take the bra off to clean how long does it take ?
Y11PEA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y11PEA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 09 at 09:23
Originally posted by fastfilli fastfilli wrote:

So how do you guys get on with them ? does it leave any marks on the bonnet after use ? do you take the bonnet bra off to clean the van or just leave in place ? If you take the bra off to clean how long does it take ?

+1

My son wants one, so I'd be interested. Do they mark the bonnet etc.
dazrick68 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazrick68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 09 at 15:29
I've been running my T5 for nearly 2 years with a bra!

No problems so far, left on for general washing/cleaning but removed every other month to check for damage and a re-polish the bonnet.

As posted earlier these are not to everyone's taste, I just didn't want to have to repaint/touch-up the bonnet as I did on my previous T4.
Tony M View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Whine Merchant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 09 at 17:37
I have one in my garage. I bought it for my Sportline after I found a few stone chips on the bonnet. I was worried that it would get wet on the back (which it does) and might damage the paint, and make it go flat or something, so I took it off. It looked ok ish if you kept it shiny with vinyl cleaner, but most of the time it looked grubby and let the van down. My mate had a chequered one on the whole front end of a black bay camper, and when he took it off at the end of the summer, his front end looked like a chess board. Where black absorbs heat moreso than white, the paint got fucked up, and he had to respray it. My Bonnet is now pickled with stone chips. You'll stop worrying about it once you get a dozen or so.
Poo IS funny.
fastfilli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastfilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 09 at 17:50
"You'll stop worrying about it once you get a dozen or so."

LOL that does not cheer me up thanks Tony
Tony M View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Whine Merchant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 09 at 18:19
As long as there are dickheads on the road that insist on  overtaking on chevrons (where all the gravel is) and cut you up, stonechips are going to occur.
Poo IS funny.
 Post Reply Post Reply