The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quarter length Roof Rack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhaines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quarter length Roof Rack
    Posted: 14 Jan 09 at 18:06
I know it's been discussed many times, but can't find the thread.

I'm looking for a roof rack, either half or rear quarter. I don't mind drilling into the roof as it's a fiberglass hi-top. Old skool would be best but willing to see what's out there.

Any suggestions?
I'm not exactly what you'd call "handy with a welder" so fabrication is out of the question, unless you can make me one nice and cheap!!!???
VW T4 1998 2.4d LWB
ZUB View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

early morning troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 09 at 23:50

Hi, I have a roof rack (stored in the bike rack) from Germany that fits over the high roof and fixes to the gutters. Its a set of two,  so you could space them out to any size that you need.  A good place to look for one would be at http://ww.ebay.de (German Ebay) loads of LT bits for sale there.  If I get the chance at the weekend I'll post a photo on here, of my roof rack.  
I'm a bell end
danhaines View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhaines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 00:37
great, that would be very handy!

I must say, that bike rack is rather impressive.
I've got a Dave Cooper MX rack on mine but yours p*sses all over that.
i'm slightly jealous!
VW T4 1998 2.4d LWB
tomschute View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 16:13
I'm after a rack too - missed a beauity on ebay cos I was too tight Confused

Think I'm gonna buy some box steel and get the mig out when it stops raining - maybe I should make a few!

I have a MX bike now and want a rack on the back too - was thinking just a large gutter pertruding across the back, on box section that's bolted/welded onto the chassey rails - how do the "propper ones" fit?

think the postage from germany for a rack would be serious $$$

Edited by tomschute - 15 Jan 09 at 16:14
danhaines View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhaines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 16:18
Check out Dave Cooper Racks.
They fit straight onto your towbar mounting and are easily taken on and off.
I think they're the grand total of £75 delivered!!!!

It holds my KXF250 no problem at all.
Money well spent i'd say.
VW T4 1998 2.4d LWB
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 17:55
is yours a high top? i've got a half length rack for a low top

kinda handy and has that 'retro' feel to it cause its a wooden slatted one!

Edited by icky - 15 Jan 09 at 18:23
danhaines View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhaines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 17:58
Damn that's exactly what i'm after but i've got a high top.
can it be modified?
VW T4 1998 2.4d LWB
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 18:23

errm i dunno - i imagine if you chopped the struts and welded an extra section into each to make them longer then it'd go over it... not sure?

icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 19:23
oh and get a ladder too!!! :p
danhaines View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhaines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 09 at 20:35
already got the ladder!
I'm on the lookout for one of these now. if you ever consider selling yours then let me know.
VW T4 1998 2.4d LWB
ZUB View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

early morning troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 09 at 07:39

The roof rack that I have,  wouldn't cost much to be posted from Germany. I jumped on a plane to Germany and bought my van from there,  it was then driven back for the cost of £195 in diesel, flights (for two) was only £20, hotel £40, ferry £55. Total for the whole trip for two was only £500 (satnav set to miss all toll roads). Why not take trip over to Germany as a break and then you could pick up anything thats needed for our van.     
I'm a bell end
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 09 at 23:11
would it not be easier to get something like one for the newer shape LT's and mod that?

it can't be THAT different, surely?
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 09 at 00:42

just found this on gumtree

http://www.gumtree.com/london/97/32819597.html
i dunno if its an old shape or new shape or what, but it says its a high top and says its got a roof rack, may be worth enquiring at least???
danhaines View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhaines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 09 at 12:03
cool. I've sent a message Thumbs Up
VW T4 1998 2.4d LWB
surfzone View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 09 at 13:08
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 09 at 17:30
i think its for the newer one...

though in theory it should be adaptable - it mounts to the gutters by the looks of things.

the high tops on the newer LT's are slighlty less high than the high tops on the older ones though - so the arms may also need lengthening.
danhaines View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhaines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 09 at 01:10
FYI. i phoned the bloke from gumtree and he's flogging that L reg lt35 for 100 quid! He sounded desperate so i reckon 50 quid takes it! engine's blown though
VW T4 1998 2.4d LWB
icky View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 09 at 12:37

too far for me to justify bringing it back with an A-frame unless someone wants to go halves :lol:

danhaines View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhaines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 09 at 00:23
who was after a MX bike rack?
http://www.davecooper.co.uk/bike_racks.htm
VW T4 1998 2.4d LWB
ZUB View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

early morning troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 09 at 20:49

Now thats a roof rack!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm a bell end
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>