The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to change a headlamp bulb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to change a headlamp bulb
    Posted: 11 Jan 09 at 17:55
 I expect it has been covered before but I could not find any reference. The handbook helpfully says 'take the vehicle to an approved dealer'. Surely it cannot be that difficult?
griffnchl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffnchl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 09 at 19:43
Originally posted by bilbo bilbo wrote:

I expect it has been covered before but I could not find any reference. The handbook helpfully says 'take the vehicle to an approved dealer'. Surely it cannot be that difficult?
have you got qualifications in rocket science? Tongue
(is this a trick question??)
first take the light grey cover off the back of the light unit, pull off the connection block then ease off the retaining clip ( the retaining clip needs to pushed down if i remember rightly).
pull out the old bulb, then clearfully replace it with the new bulb, DONT TOUCH THE GLASS ELEMENT OF THE NEW BULB WITH BARE FINGERS!! put it back together and there you have it!Clap

VWT5 Vanman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWT5 Vanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 09 at 03:00
Or take it to a dealer if your dumb and they will have your pants down and charge you an hours labour for it ;) probably 40-80 quid lol.
oddboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oddboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 09 at 07:54
or better still get a HID conversin done so you can see properly at nightWink
gone to the darkside
bilbo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 09 at 09:02
 Thanks, Guys I plan to pit some '90% brighter' bulbs in -as you imply the dtandard lights are dreadful. I guessby a HID conversion you mean more than different bulbs?
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 09 at 12:16
For the std T5 single globe reflector headlight I'd recommend the Philips X-treme H4 globes as being slightly better than the Osram Nightbreakers (I've tried both).  Fleabay seems to have the best on-line prices.
Delfhill View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delfhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 09 at 16:39
I've just today replaced my headlight bulbs with Halfords 90% brighter Extreme Brilliance bulbs, 2 for the price of one offer at the moment so £18 the pair. It was a 5 minute job. Will await the onset of darkness to try them out. My 1956 Land-Rover has 35 watt main beam wattage! It gives out a warm shade of orange. I never dazzle anyone!
griffnchl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffnchl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 09 at 20:10

'homebase' of all places have those philips extreme h4 headlight bulbs for £17, i brought some last week, they do the job, and never broke the bank!Cool

oddboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oddboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 09 at 21:01
HIDs are far better than uprated halogens, there really is no comparison
gone to the darkside
bilbo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 09 at 21:27
 Two questions about HIDs
 Can they be fitted into the standard headlamp?
 Are they legal withouit headlamp washers and a self-levelling system?
 I did see the post about changing to Caravelle headlamps but that looked a lot trickier than just changing the bulb!
oddboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oddboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 09 at 21:47

i have done both put HIDs in caravelle lights, i must say the caravelle lights were an improvment over standard

gone to the darkside
Delfhill View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delfhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 09 at 11:52
Tried out the Halfords Extreme Brilliance bulbs last night, a definite improvement, but certainly nowhere near a 90% improvement as suggested by Halfords. I would think abouT3% better, but when you think how bad the originals are then 25% is worthwhile. I've read about vehicles being stopped and impounded for having non factory fitted HID lights, is this just a scare story or are there legal implications?
Rod_VW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod_VW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 09 at 18:10
Delfhill,

You asked about the legal implications of fitting after market HID lights, read here what the Department of Transport say... http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

This paragraph in particular...

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

Edited by Rod_VW - 13 Jan 09 at 18:11
Rod,

vwbooks

2013 LWB T32 T5GP 180ps High Roof Self Build
Previously
2011 LWB T5GP
2007 LWB T5
2002 LWB T4
1999 LWB T4
1980 T3
Delfhill View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delfhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 09 at 18:21
Thanks Rod, I suspect they expect more than a damp rag for headlight cleaning and I certainly don't have self levelling. I think...  "In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. "  says it all. I always worry that if you ever get involved in an accident, then these sort of details are seized upon by Police and the insurance companies. I suppose to replace the whole headlamp unit as the DOT suggest would be getting prohibitively expensive?
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 09 at 01:21
Originally posted by Delfhill Delfhill wrote:

I suppose to replace the whole headlamp unit as the DOT suggest would be getting prohibitively expensive?

Projektzwo make the only properly approved HID headlamps to fit T5s that I could find, but they only make them for LHD vehicles (and have no plans to make them for RHD).  AFAIK These were the units that VW fitted to that limited edition super-flashy T5 that had "factory" HIDs

And yes, by the time you buy the LHD headlamps (with ballasts etc), headlight washers and all the self levelling gumph (including sensors on the suspension) it was very, very expensive (in the thousands of euros IIRC).

I have seen some crude conversions where someone has glued in HID projector units into a hole cut into a single reflector T5 headlamp, but I strongly doubt that these would have proper approval (DOT, ECE etc).
 Post Reply Post Reply