The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Car Wash - Van Suitable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car Wash - Van Suitable
    Posted: 06 Jan 09 at 15:28
Right, I'm fed up with this cold weather and all the salt on the roads. My van is filthy and doesn''t stay clean for more than a week at most.

Does anyone put they're T5 SWB / LWB through a car wash.

Its too fricken cold to jet wash it at the moment and it would be good if I could just put it through the ARC car wash. I haven't tried it but don't want to look a dick and drive up only to be turned away.

Anyone, anyone??
T5.1 Silver Sportline Kombi TDI Tuning box claiming 220 bhp.
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 09 at 15:41
can't see why not, 4x4 go through it. That said, it is not definite, I haven't ever done it but if the answer is yes I will probably start. Don't think you need to worry too much if it is lowered as it is still high enough from the ground!
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 09 at 17:05
I thought the same as liquid. No problem until the roller that goes over the top came through my back window.Angry Went back to the guy at the counter. 'It's all your own fault, what the fuck are you doing in there with a van, can't you read the signs'. When I pointed out that I'd been using it for years without any problems all he said was, 'The sign's not there for fun.' Lesson learned.Embarrassed
Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
oddboy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oddboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 09 at 17:19
i would never put my van through a carwash if i dont feel like doing myself i take it to the Kosavon hand car wash, they are everywhere in my area
gone to the darkside
griffnchl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffnchl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 09 at 17:45
yeah, the polish lads on the pub carpark near us do a better job than any automatic carwash!
best option by far!
and i dont have to take the roof bars off either!Thumbs Up
Liquidfreak View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquidfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 09 at 17:49
ooh ok big mistake. Didn't think it would do that? in fact, how the f@#k did it do that? Thought that they had sensors on and mapped out the car before it starts. Lucky I don't have back windows I guess.
2004 VW T5 Panel Van T30 2.5 130 AXD Engine
fastfilli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastfilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 09 at 19:26
My local Tesco has a new car wash ! they have lads constantly manning it and they said it was fine to go through. And it was :) they even gave my van a good jet wash before it went through ! then you drive on to a conveyor and it kind of pulls you through and washes at the same time ! Cost £5. but was very close in every direction and un-nerved me allot So probably wont go through again !
triple View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 09 at 20:10
I always use my local drive-thru car wash, usually i jet wash the wheels and under the wheel arches first.
personally i think its better for the paintwork as the brushes have a constant supply of grit free soapy water and clean water to finish also the vans roof gets cleaned, it takes a couple of minutes and costs £2. 
RICK View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 09 at 20:20
i would never use a car wash or jet wash on my baby only a lambs wool mit out of a gritguard bucket  the swirl marks car washes leave is unbeleivable and the grit in the brushes at jet washes were they are laid on the ground you might as well wash wiv steel wool Cry
Digs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 09 at 21:05
This is interesting. www.fifthgear.five.tv/

Click on the man with the bucket at the bottom of the video section.
VWT5 Vanman View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWT5 Vanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 09 at 10:52
Watch out for the hand car wash guys, they sometimes use fairy liquid for saop :O, if you dont know what i mean by that, well, fairy liquid is the saop that takes your polish of your van and leaves it unprotected, it can even start to take the laqure off your van so be carful, I would only sujest hand washing it yourself, if you love your van and its your pride and joy you sholdnt be moaning about washing it yourself imo. I still wash it every week at mo in this weather, YES its FOOOKING cold but wrap up warm and you soon warm up using a sponge, and you know then its not going to get scratch marks etc all over it. I always leather it down afterwards too, that makes one HEll of a diffrence, no streak marks etc.
Ratter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 09 at 11:46
I spoke to a mate last night who saw the same fifth gear article. Apparently car washes are better for your paintwork than hand wash or jet wash.

I put mine through the ARC car wash last night. Came out better than the polish guys did in Tesco's and dried it as well. As someone said, pretty tight in places.
T5.1 Silver Sportline Kombi TDI Tuning box claiming 220 bhp.
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 09 at 11:34
I personally think that it`s only too cold if the water freezes. Try a foaming lance and a bottle of snow foam from www. i4detailing. co. uk  ( if you have a jetwasher). Just spray it on, wait until it turns brown, then rinse it off. Only takes ten minutes and gets the salt and traffic crud off without abrasion. More loving cleaning with washmitt and double buckets with gritguards can wait until it warms up a bit.
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
 Post Reply Post Reply